Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

UHD630 uses 100% of GPU with teams videocall with 4k resolution but works perfectly when on FHD

Rui75
Beginner

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Extreme Gen2 with a UHD630 and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (attached the DxDiag).

My generic configuration of the display is to have a 3840 x 2160 resolution and 200% scale (attached).

I notice this on every application that plays video but Microsoft Teams is perfect to illustrate the problem. When on a video call, the GPU spikes to around 80% and if someone shares the screen the GPU goes to almost 100% and the laptop becomes almost impossible to work with. I've tried every solution, every driver available (from Intel e from Lenovo) but the problem never disappeared.

But today I tried a different scenario: changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and 100% scale. On a Teams video call and with screen sharing the GPU stayed at 35%. The only problem with this scenario is that the fonts are blurry, not as crisp as with the 4k configuration.

This example with Teams is something that can be easily reproduced. But the problem with playing video with the resolution at 4k is constant. For instance, I have the Vodafone TV app on my laptop and whenever I choose a channel the GPU spikes. I did notice that the smaller the video window size, the lower is the load on the GPU.

So, my questions are:

1 - Shouldn't the UHD 630 handle 4k video without any problem?

2 - Is there a way to make the screen fonts as crisp at FHD as they are at 4k?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Rui75,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is the issue recent? If so, when did it start?

3. Is the issue present when you use only the NVIDIA card?

4. Can you send a video where we can see the GPU spikes?

5. Have you reported the issue with Lenovo?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Rui75, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Rui75, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos