Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Unable to extend screen to 2 external monitors

Cedric2
Beginner

Using an adaptor, I was able to connect to 2 HDMI from the 2 external monitors that I have. With this set-up, I was able to detect 2 external screens in my work laptop (Dell brand).

However, the issue comes when I am using my personal laptop running on Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics. My laptop could detect the 2nd external monitor but the 3rd external monitor is a duplicate of the 2nd one. Extend display option on extends from my laptop screen to the 2nd monitor. This has been very troubling. Could it be a software issue?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Cedric2,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below details:

• We need specific details about the connections you're using, are you using a docking station? an HDMI splitter? are you connecting the displays directly to the PC using HDMI to HDMI or DisplayPort to DisplayPort? Please provide very specific details about the setup.
  • Just to confirm the setup that it is not working is: 3 external displays, plus the Laptop's monitor?
  • Which tool are you using to configure the external monitors? Windows Display Settings or Intel Graphics Command Center?

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with some reports to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Cedric2,

Thank you very much for your response.

Please, check the following article that you may found helpful: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005599/graphics.html

Also, I noticed that you are using the generic driver from Intel version 27.20.100.9168, there are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer or through Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers.

We also recommend the use of adaptors or dongles, we highly suggest the use of straight connections. . This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. The best solution is doing a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type on both ends or confirm with the system manufacturer, Microsoft* in this case, the compatibility of the cable used and also, that the connection will not affect the graphics performance.

If the above steps don't work we highly suggest contacting the equipment manufacturer, since you are using a highly customized third-party system, the best is to verify with the manufacturer that there is no limitation for this feature, in this case, Intel just provides the CPU in stock settings, and we do not have control over any customization that the equipment manufacturer has performed.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Cedric2
Beginner

Hi Maria,

thanks for your reply. However, you lost me right at the start of your paragraph. I am still unclear if my laptop is able to support or not and what is a highly customised third-party system, straight connectors? Is there other information you need?

It sounds like I am complicating my needs when I only wished to extend to 2 external monitors to carry out analytical work. It also sounds like I should retire this new microsoft laptop I just bought and get a new one?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Cedric2, Thank you very much for your response.

"I am still unclear if my laptop is able to support or not?", in order for us to be able to answer that question, we need first to confirm if the display configuration you need to set is the screen of the laptop plus 2 external monitors or if it is the screen of the laptop plus 3 external monitors? The reason for that is that the Graphics controller supports up to 3 displays, so if you are trying to connect 3 external monitors, then you will need to disable the screen of the laptop.

"What is a highly customised third-party system?" It is basically every laptop, they need a customized Graphics driver tested, validated, and provided by the manufacturer of the computer, that driver contains customizations so once it is installed it will enable all the features and functions that are advertised for the laptop, using a Generic driver like the Intel® one might get installed but some features and functions of the laptop might not work as it should or not work at all.

"straight connectors?" This is when you use a cable like for example HDMI and you don't need adapters, docking stations, or converters, just once straight HDMI cable that goes from the HDMI port of the computer to the HDMI port of the monitor.

Just to confirm, did you tried the steps provided previously, what was the outcome?

Since you are looking to connect 2 external monitors, in theory, it should work, for us to be able to check on that, please provide an SSUr report updated after trying the steps above, and also the Intel® Graphics report for us to check further details about your platform:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Cedric2
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

The set-up is 1 laptop to 2 external monitor display.

I have HDMI connectors, one from each external monitor to an adaptor which then connects to my laptop via usb-c. My pc only has 1 usb-c port.

For the earlier recommendations, both of them did not work.

Attached are the requested details.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Cedric2,

Thank you for your response and the information provided.

In this case, Intel* provides the CPU in stock settings to Equipment Manufacturers, in this case, since you're using a Surface Pro, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) is Microsoft*, they can customize and limit the processor capabilities to work with each specific system.

In this case, the Intel* processor in stock settings supports the configuration you are trying to use, however, since your system was designed by Microsoft* we cannot ensure if the setup will work because we do not handle your system specifications, also, since you are using a USB-c adapter we cannot confirm if it will work as expected with your PC, for adapters/converters and other devices you should verify the full compatibility with the OEM.

Also, you are still using the generic driver from Intel, the best course of action is to use the graphics driver provided by Microsoft since it was modified to properly enable all the graphics features of your device and it was also tested in your specific system; please contact Microsoft so they will be able to properly guide you with the proper information/steps.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Cedric2,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos