Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Unable to take advantage of Intel hardware acceleration when using Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate

Euphonograph
Novice

Please can you help.

I have just bought a new laptop for video editing.

I am trying to render my video using Pinnacle Studio 18 ultimate.

To speed things up I have the choice within Studio 18 to add hardware acceleration for the Intel integrated graphics when I render the video out, otherwise it takes years.

When I select Intel hardware acceleration and start the render the preview screen goes grey and the render hangs.

I have used this hardware acceleration on a previous laptop and it worked brilliantly, but this new one won't have it. 

Do I need a different Intel graphics driver? I have the latest one installed.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Euphonograph
Novice

System Information

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The first thing I see in the sysInfo is that the latest build (9168) of the Intel HD Graphics driver package is installed. This is significant because this is a laptop. Often, the graphics driver(s) for laptops have been modified - especially if dual graphics is supported - to support custom features of the laptop (including graphics engine switching). What I suggest you do to verify this (one way or the other) is to return to the drivers provided by your laptop vendor. Use the following process:

1. Download to the laptop - but do not install just yet - the latest Intel and NVIDIA drivers provided by your laptop vendor.
  2. Disable Internet access (disconnect Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless).
  3. In the Apps and Features applet, uninstall any Intel and NVIDIA driver packages. Look for entry(s) with names like Intel Graphics Driver and NVIDIA Graphics Driver XXX.XX.
  4. In the Device Manager applet, uninstall any remaining Intel and NVIDIA graphics drivers by right-clicking on the device entry, clicking on the Uninstall Device entry, selecting to Delete any driver software for this device and then clicking on the Uninstall button.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Install the Intel driver package that you downloaded earlier.
  7. Install the NVIDIA driver package that you downloaded earlier.
  8. Reboot.
  9. Reconnect Internet.
  10. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Euphonograph
Novice

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back.

I updated the drivers because the ones from the vendor, MSI, didn't work with hardware acceleration in Pinnacle Studio either, so I thought I would give the latest drivers a go, particularly the studio driver from NVidia rather than the gaming driver which was supplied.

Intel hardware acceleration and Cuda (I have choice with Pinnacle Studio) both make Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate lock up and it is so frustrating not being able to render out at a decent speed.

Any ideas, thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, sorry; other than going back to the initial, vendor-supplied drivers, I got nuttin. Intel Customer Support will need to step in here and look at this issue...

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Euphonograph

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- By any chance have you tested this with different versions of Pinnacle Studio 18*? For instance, version 19 or the latest one 24?

2- Provide detailed step-by-step replication instructions to try to test this in our lab and if possible some screenshots or a short video showing the behavior. Could you please also share with us a project sample for testing?

3- For reference purposes, please provide details about the other laptop where this software works fine (laptop brand/model, processor model, graphics driver version, operating system version, etc.).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Euphonograph
Novice

Hello Andrew G,

Thanks for getting back.

1. I have not tested with another version of Pinnacle because later versions do not support Dolby Digital 5.1 audio import and export. Studio 18 Ultimate does, so until later versions do I will stay with 18.

2. Please see attached videos. I can't send a sample clip because it is too big and AVCHD which this page doesn't support. Please give me a private message and I'll send it via WeTransfer.

3. Please find attached specs

I really need a remedy for this problem, as I don't want the MSI laptop to be a very expensive mistake.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Euphonograph

Thank you very much for all the information provided and for the videos, those are very useful to better understand the behavior and replication steps. We appreciate all your efforts.

We will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile so you can share with us the details to receive the sample clip.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Euphonograph

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Were you able to receive our email?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Euphonograph
Novice
0 Kudos
Euphonograph
Novice

Could this be the problem:

This message is displayed in the device manager for the Intel graphics controller:

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9BC4&SUBSYS_12AA1462&REV_05\3&11583659&2&10 requires further installation.

I have uninstalled dedicated graphics as my software is very poor with NVidia (Cuda) graphics hardware acceleration.

I need Intel graphics hardware acceleration.

Please help
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Euphonograph

Thank you for your response and for the details regarding the message in Device Manager.

Based on your response from 02-07-2021, we understood that you could be able to provide a sample project for us to test this in our lab, but a private message would be needed so you can send it via WeTransfer*. So we sent you an email on February 9, 2021, and we were waiting for the sample to proceed to test. Were you able to receive our email?

Please kindly let us know if providing a sample is not feasible for you. If not, we may try using a generic sample (but it would be good to test using the same files). If you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

In the meantime, since the message in Device Manager is referring to "device installation", we recommend trying a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link to discard (previous) driver installation/update issues. Please use the customized driver from MSI* which is the recommended one for your system: Intel® Graphics Driver 27.20.100.8190

Note: if that is the MSI* driver that you mentioned is not working, you may try the clean install using the latest Intel® generic driver: Version: 27.20.100.9168.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Euphonograph
Novice

Hello Andrew,

I did a clean install and it still doesn't work. I also tried the latest Intel driver and that didn't work either.

I tried a clean install using DDU as well which was recommended by MSI, but that didn't work either.

My son's HP laptop which Studio 18 Ultimate works great on seems to have other features in Windows 10 regarding hardware acceleration. He has a slider for hardware acceleration, my Windows 10 does not and it is up to date. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Euphonograph

Thank you very much for your response via internal email. We were able to get the test file.

We will check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Regarding your inquiry about if "Intel® graphics controller supports hardware acceleration", the answer is yes.

Hardware Accelerated Video Decode and Encode operations are supported for multiple video codes and it is exposed by the graphics driver using different APIs.

It supports:

• Full HW accelerated video decoding for AVC/VC1/MPEG2/HEVC/VP8/JPEG
  • Full HW accelerated video encoding for AVC/MPEG2/HEVC/VP//JPEG.

For additional details regarding Hardware accelerated support please refer to the 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors, Datasheet Volume 1 of 2, section 2.41 API Support (Windows), and section 2.4.2 Media Support (Intel QuickSync and Clear Video Technology HD) and its subsequent subsections (e.g. 2.4.2.1 and 2.4.2.2).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Euphonograph

Thank you very much for this feedback and additional details. We are still looking into this and we will be posting more information in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Euphonograph

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We have been working on this; unfortunately, we can't get our hands on Pinnacle* Studio 2018 from the official source*: https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/landing/download/ They only list Pinnacle* Studio 2019 and newer.

We contacted Corel* support and they confirmed Pinnacle* Studio 18 is legacy and they no longer distribute it nor support it, and they suggest updating to Pinnacle* Studio 24.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Euphonograph
Novice
Hello Andrew,

Pinnacle Studio 24 does not support Dolby Digital 5.1 audio import and export so that is why I am using Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate.
I stated all this in my video.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Euphonograph

Thank you for your response.

We do understand your point that "Pinnacle Studio 24 does not support Dolby Digital 5.1 audio import and export" and we were aware of this when reviewing the videos. However, since we are not able to get Pinnacle* Studio 2018 from the official source*, and we even contacted them and they said "Pinnacle* Studio 18 is legacy and they no longer distribute it nor support it", our recommendation is to check this further with Corel* support for more details regarding this behavior and support options.

Corel* Support.

Pinnacle* Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos