Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Unhandled exception in 0x7B372F75 (ig9icd32.dll) in forespend.exe: 0xC0000005: access violation writ

jktech
Beginner

windows version: '1909' or '10.0 build 18363'

driver version: ig9icd32.dll  26.20.100.7987

i was trying to do some coding using opengl libs and when i used the specific flag "GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT" in the "glClear();" command my program stop working and this error shows up, i have tried many other flags and it worked, just in this one the driver returns a error.

i tried to update my video drivers going to intel download center and searched for my processor and Igpu model that is i5-8250u and uhd 620, after downloading the .exe installer that shows it is compatible and click to install and appear a message that the translation (roughly made by myself) is written:

"the driver that being installed is not validated for this computer.

get the right driver with the computer provider.

instalation stopped.

would you like more info?

click "yes" to access intel support page"

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This message is telling you that the driver originally provided by the system vendor was modified by this vendor to implement some custom feature(s) of the system. This is mostly the case for laptops, where certain features (brightness, contrast, focus, hot keys, etc.) must coordinate with the graphics driver or where dual graphics engines are used and, for example, switching between engines is necessary, but I have seen Desktop systems make use of this customization capability as well. When customized drivers are provided, you should usually stick with them, as the customizations will be lost if an Intel generic driver is substituted.

In cases like this, where there is some feature of the driver - like this case's OpenGL library version - needs to be updated to get particular bug fixes or add new features, handling it is not so simple. The system vendor needs to obtain the updated driver package from Intel, apply their customizations to it, and then validate and release it. The biggest complication is the fact that the major system vendors are providing positively horrid warranties (IMHO, a hardware warranty less than 3 years and a software (BIOS and driver) warranty less that 6 years is simply unacceptable) and the window where an updated driver package is required is typically long after the warranty for the system has expired and the vendor is not interested in supporting the customizations any longer.

As I said, you may be unhappy with the customizations that you will lose, but if you would really, really like to try a newer package from Intel, it is actually very easy to do so. You simply need to iteratively uninstall the current graphics driver (and associated software), with a reboot in between, until only the Microsoft Basic Graphics driver remains. At this point, a final reboot and you should be able to install the latest intel drivers.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos