Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20703 Discussions

Updating graphic driver fails - InvalidOperationException

Changdae
Beginner

My current intel graphic driver information

Version 30.0.101.1994
Date 5/13/2022

From intel-driver-support-assistant, I'm updating it to

Version 31.0.101.2111
Date 7/27/2022

And a few seconds after I press grant permission for update installation, it says

System.InvalidOperationException: This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.
// ...call stack trace (I attached a capture of the error alert)

I thought it was permission error and I tried manual update installation here, but I still meet the same error.

According to the detail of the installation, the update target correctly meets my laptop environment.

This download installs Intel® Graphics Driver 31.0.101.3222/31.0.101.2111 for 6th-12th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Graphics, and related Intel Atom®, Pentium®, and Celeron® processors. Driver version varies depending on the Intel Graphics in the system.

I never met this error before, what should I do? Thanks in advance.

Just in case, my environment

CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99GHz x64

OS
Windows 10 Pro, 21H1 (<u+200e>Build 19043.1889)
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DarkRedTitan
Beginner

Disclaimer: I am not at all affiliated with Intel or Intel support.

For me, it turned out to be a problem with the following directory:

C:\ProgramData\Intel

And when I renamed that folder (Intel folder), the installer started working again, thankfully. I renamed it to anything else as a backup, like "Intel-backup" just in case it was important.

Mine is Intel UHD Graphics 630 with 9th gen processor (i7-9750H).

The error lists a problem with ACL which is some sort of file permissions, but it doesn't state what. For me, the installer logs file in GFXInstaller was completely empty which made me suspect that it couldn't access the folder to begin with, so I decided to remove it to let the installer re-create it.

Don't know if this helps.

There was this article as well which suggests a different fix, it didn't work for me, but it might work for you:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000096481/graphics.html

Please tell me if any of this helps!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That Intel folder contains other subfolders related to the operation of different Intel hardware/software. You need to merge the other subfolders back into the Intel folder created by the graphics installer or these other subsystems will not work properly.

....S

0 Kudos