Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Vulkan for UHD Graphics 630 on headless Ubuntu server

Sorensen__Tyler
Beginner

Hi,

I'm interested in using Vulkan for compute on a headless Ubuntu (18.04) server. The machine has a i7-9700K CPU, which I believe has a UHD Graphics 630. The server also has a discrete Nvidia GPU.

When I run "lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'", the Intel GPU seems to show up.

00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation Device 3e98 (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Dell Device 0873
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1eb1 (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Dell Device 12a0
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

I've also installed a variety of Mesa drivers and vulkan utilities, as described here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1096986/how-to-install-vulcan-for-intel-graphics-card

However, if I run "vulkaninfo", I can only see the Nvidia GPU. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tyler

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Sorensen__Tyler,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following report to continue with your support request.

1-Please run the following tool and attach the report generated.  

-Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System

Instructions:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26735/eng/ReleaseNotes.txt

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sorensen__Tyler
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply Victor!

I've attached the result of running the script. I do not see the Intel UHD Graphics 630 explicitly listed in the report, but my understanding is that the i7-9700K CPU has this GPU.

Thanks again for the help!

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Sorensen__Tyler,

We appreciate the information provided and the report as well, based on that we would like to request from you all the steps that you do in order to get the outcome that you are experiencing.

Note: If you can provide the outcome of every step you take all the way to the final outcome of the whole process it will help us a lot to see what recommendations we can provide based on each step you took.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Sorensen__Tyler
Beginner

Hi Victor,

Sure. I want to be able to target the Intel Integrated GPU with Vulkan. But when I run "vulkaninfo" I only get info for the Nvidia GPU. I've attached the output of "vulkaninfo".

I have installed mesa drivers following the instructions here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1096986/how-to-install-vulcan-for-intel-graphics-card

I'm wondering how to get access to Vulkan for my Intel GPU.

Thanks again for the help!
Tyler

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Sorensen__Tyler,

We appreciate the information provided, we will use it to do further research about it on our end and we will update this thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Sorensen__Tyler
Beginner

Thanks Victor,

I have a quick update, I upgraded the server to Ubuntu 20.04. Now lspci reports the intel GPU model number: UHD Graphics 630:

00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop 9 Series) (rev 02)
	DeviceName: Onboard - Video
	Subsystem: Dell UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop 9 Series)
	Kernel driver in use: i915

However vulkaninfo still does not list the Intel GPU device. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Sorensen__Tyler,

Based on our research the ability to use simultaneous GPUs is bound to the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) configuration and the OS. As per the report you provided it seems the Intel® Integrated Graphics controller is disabled; therefore, you will need to check with your system manufacturer the following:

Is this computer (BIOS) capable of supporting simultaneously the internal GPU and the discrete GPU?

If the answer is yes, you will need to verify if the OS distro can work with hybrid graphics, per example by checking the link down below or by contacting their support :

https://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/hybrid-graphics  

https://ubuntu.com/support

As for more information on how to actually engage with the Vulkan API using the UHD Graphics 630 our strongest recommendation will be to post the question in our developer's forum once you have all the other details resolved:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Developing-Games-Graphics-on/bd-p/developing-games-graphics

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Sorensen__Tyler
Beginner

Thanks Victor,

based on your recommendation, we checked the bios and selected the Intel GPU as the primary display adapter. I've attached a new version of the Intel SSU output. You can see the UHD Graphics 630 listed (near the top right under "display").

Does this resolve the issue of the Intel Integrated Graphics controller being disabled as you mentioned in your comment? Or am I missing something else in this output?

However, even with this output from Intel SSU, vulkaninfo still does not report the Intel GPU 😞

If you don't see any issues with the new report, maybe I can try posting on the forums you recommend? I will definitely report back when I find the solution.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Sorensen__Tyler,

In this case, as the report indicates the Intel® UHD Graphics 630 are being recognized; therefore, we believe that you can now post a question in our developer's forum once you have figured out if the OS distro can work with hybrid graphics; however if you are not into targeting the Nvidia GPU with Vulkan as well as the Intel® graphics you can omit that part and just go to the forum with what you have right now.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Sorensen__Tyler
Beginner

Thanks Victor,

I have a few people helping debug this internally too and we have a few leads. I'll come back and report what we find (I'll post in the developer's forum if I remain stuck).

Thanks again, and stay tuned!

Tyler

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Sorensen__Tyler,

We are glad to know that you are working with your people to solve this out. Since further support for this matter will only be provided in our developer’s forum we recommend that if you need any additional information, please submit a new question in the forum we shared with you as this thread will no longer be monitored; however, we understand that any resolution from your end might be useful for any other members in the forum so this thread will remain open in case you want to share any resolution with the community.

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos