Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Why can't I adjust video settings in Intel Command Centre for streaming HDR videos

Sean88
Beginner

Windows version of Netflix in particular is extremely dark in HDR mode. I would like to increase brightness, along with some additional calibration adjustments. However, the video adjustments available in Intel Command Centre do not have any effect, even when the "Automatically Process Video to Enhance it" option is selected in Windows Display Settings. However, if I download a netflix video rather than stream it, the Intel Command Centre does allow me to adjust video. Is this a known issue, and is a fix available to resolve this?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

We would like to gain a better understanding of the behavior reported. Share the details below at your earliest convenience. 

• Please confirm the Intel® Graphics Command Center version used or provide a picture. 
  • Please provide us the DXDiag report by following the next steps: 
  1. On your Windows task bar, click Start (Windows icon in the lower left of the screen). 
  2. Select and press Run. If you do not see Run, hold down the Windows key and press R. 
  3. In the Run window, type dxdiag and click OK. A DirectX* Diagnostic Tool window should pop up. 
  4. In the new window, choose Save all information. 
  5. In the Save As window, the DirectX* information is saved as a text (.TXT) file. Choose the Desktop or another easily accessible location to save your file, and then click Save. 
  6. You can attached the saved files. 

We hope to hear from you soon. 

Best Regards, 

Daisy J. 

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner

Hi Daisy J.

Thanks for getting back to me and trying to resolve this with me.

The Intel Graphics Command Centre version is 1.100.2727.0

I am also attaching the dxdiag file as requested.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you again.

Kind Regards, Sean88

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

Thank you for your response. 

Taking into consideration that the tool is working locally, it indicates that the Graphics controller, drivers, and Windows are working properly together. We would appreciate the details requested below to try to narrow down the issue experienced when streaming.

• Can you please provide a Graphics report from the Intel® Graphics Command Center?
  • When using Netflix online, are you using any specific browser? Have you tried a different browser?
  • When you save the video locally, do you run it with any special video tool or app? Does it happen with some specific videos?  

Feel free to reply if you have any additional questions or comments.

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner

Hello Daisy J.

Thanks again for helping to resolve this issue for me and perhaps others with Windows HDR enabled devices.

I attach the Intel Command Centre Graphics report as requested.

I have tested Netflix on the following and they all suffer the same reported problem:

• Netflix App downloaded from the Microsoft Store
  • Google Chrome
  • Microsoft Edge (latest version)
  • Opera

I save the video locally using the App version of netflix. This is the only recognised way to download netflix to windows devices. Any video downloaded, whether it's HDR Ultra HD or standard definition, allows adjustment to be done through Graphics Command Centre. As soon as streaming however, graphics adjustment only works for SDR content.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you need anything else at all, and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Kind Regards, Sean88

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

Thank you for the information shared. 

With the details gathered at this point, we consider that the behavior experienced might be related to the Netflix app or the Netflix streaming requirements since the issue is only experienced when streaming. 

Have you contacted Netflix to check the system requirements to use HDR while streaming?

Once you have confirmed with Netflix that your computer meets their requirements, we can try to replicate the issue. Please share the information requested below:

• Please confirm the Netflix type of account and version.
  • Please confirm the browser versions used.
  • Please confirm the internet bandwidth. 

Reply at your earliest convenience.

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner

Hi again Daisy J.

Thanks once again for coming back to me.

I obtained the Netflix System requirements a while ago, and can share these with you. This along with the other info you requested is detailed below.

System Requirements for Netflix 4K Ultra HD:

Windows 10

7th Gen CPU, Kaby Lake or higher

60 Hz 4K HDR Display

Broadband 25Mb/s or higher

Netflix App or Latest Edge browser

My Actual Specs

Windows 10 (inc. latest update 1909)

10th Gen i7 with Ice Lake Iris Plus Graphics

60Hz 4K OLED display with HDR capability

55Mb/s

Netflix App, plus latest Edge browser

In addition, these are the other details you requested:

Netflix Plan: Premium Ultra HD

App version: 6.95.602

Browser Versions:

Microsoft Edge - Version 80.0.361.111 (Official build) (64-bit)

Google Chrome - Windows 10/8.1/8/7 64-bit

Opera - 67.0.3575.115

Let me know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards. Sean88

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

Can you please confirm the internet bandwidth? Also, please confirm the specific Google Chrome version using the settings tab.

Once we get these missing details we will try to replicate the issue and share our findings the sooner the possible.

Best regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner

Hi Daisy J.

Sure I can provide these, here you go:

Internet Bandwidth - Netflix UHD requires 25 Mb/s or higher.

My bandwidth is 55Mb/s

Google Chrome Version - 81.0.4044.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)

It should be noted that as well as 'Play HDR Games and Apps' option being selected, the 'Automatically Process Video to Enhance it' option is also selected in the Windows Display Video Playback Settings. This is as instructed by the Intel Graphics Command Centre.

Many thanks, Sean88

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

Thank you for the information shared. 

We will try to replicate this behavior and provide more details the sooner the possible.

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner

That's great, thanks Daisy J.

Anything else you need, just let me know.

Kind Regards, Sean88

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

We are still trying to replicate the behavior experienced and we just bump into some doubts. Please share the details below.

1. What settings do you have in the Video section of IGCC? Please share a screenshot if possible.
  2. What application do you use for opening downloaded videos? Is it the Netflix app?
  3. Please share the steps when using Netflix streaming so we could try to replicate it. For example, just open the Netflix app and start any HDR video, or do you do something else?

Please reply at your earliest convenience.

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner

Hello Daisy J, I can answer your queries as follows:

1 - The settings I use are shown in the attached screenshot. I find it easiest to test whether the settings are applying themselves to the streaming video by simply adjusting the brightness slider setting up and down. The video should go from light to dark very noticeably when this is being adjusted.

2 - Yes, I use the Netflix app to download a video. If you are replicating the test, it just needs to be a HDR format video. I used an episode from Stranger things season 3, or Altered Carbon Season 1

3 - When streaming a Netflix video, I do just open Netflix app and play a HDR video (such as one of the 2 examples I mentioned above). However, before I do this, I make sure to go into the windows display settings and ensure "Play HDR Games & Apps" is checked, along with "Automatically process video to enhance it" in the Video Playback Settings. I will attach 2 additional screenshots after this message showing these settings.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards,

Sean88

0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

We appreciate your detailed response.

We will work on this request and share our findings.

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
Sean88
Beginner

Hi Daisy J.

I was just wondering if you had managed to replicate the issue, or if there is anything else you need from me?

Kindest Regards,

Sean88

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

Thank you for your patience. 

We have been trying to reproduce this issue but it is working as expected on our end.

The option in Windows needs to be enabled as you pointed out, but we noted that it is necessary to create a new profile to modify the settings. Please confirm if you are using a custom video profile in the IGCC.

To continue with further research, we would need to get a video of exactly what you are doing, including all the settings you have enabled to start, and attempting to move sliders or enable options.

We hope to hear from you soon. 

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let me know if you need more assistance.  

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello Sean88,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
IAmTolga
Beginner

I'm having the same issue described here.  One thing to note is that the sample video in the Windows HDR settings of the guy walking on the cruise ship shows the changes made in the Intel Graphics Control Center.  But none of the videos played by browsers such as Edge and Chrome, including Amazon Video, Netflix, YouTube show any differences.  This is very annoying and can't be a unique issue to a few people.  Please help Intel.

0 Kudos