Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Why does an Intel graphics driver have two version numbers associated with it?

TRuss1
Beginner

I'm browsing the download page for the "Intel Iris and HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7/8/8.1 64-bit". Three drivers are listed - a beta version, the current version, and the previous version. Each version has two version numbers associated with it, one follows the other in parentheses. For example, the current version has the following version numbers: 15.33.18.64.3496(10.18.10.3496). Why are there two version numbers? What is the difference between the two?

The driver "package" contains a number of components. One of the components is the graphics driver, and I know what one of those is. However, another component is a "display audio driver", but I have no idea what a display audio driver is? Can anyone explain please?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the community.

I understand you have some questions about graphics driver version number.

Please take a look at the link below to understand driver versio numbers:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-020667.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-020667.htm

Display audio driver is included on the graphics driver to support HDMI. The driver provides the codec to enable HDMI.

Allan.

0 Kudos
TRuss1
Beginner

Allan, thank you for the reply. However, I was already aware of the link that you provided. The content simply describes how to interpret the individual components of one of the version numbers, namely 10.18.10.3496 in the example I gave, but that was not what I was asking.

What I wanted to know was why the graphics driver has two version numbers, namely 15.33.18.64.3496 and 10.18.10.3496, and what is the difference between the two.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Drivers are often referred to by either build number or driver version:

DX OSver Build number

15.33.18. 64. 3496

win8 DX Build number

10. 18. 10. 3496

There is no difference between the two. The rest of numbers are just for internal reference.

Allan.

0 Kudos