Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Why is it when i connected my second monitor to my laptop the built in display run games of intel graphics instead of nvidia

MZiva1
Beginner

I changed global 3d setting to my rtx 2060 but when i play games it runs off of integrated by assumption because my rtx 2060 would run games at higher fps. I have installed all the drivers and updates available for my pc both monitor and both graphics cards. The monitor is running off of the rtx 2060 but the UHD 630 does not detect the monitor and Nvidia control panel doesn't want to perform spanning with it. The monitor is an old dell 2009W and im using an adapter for vga to hdmi so it can run. I used to get the rtx 2060s fps when i plugged the monitor ingame but and it would run fine for all titles but then on second boot all fps was 60% lower than normal. The my razer blade is always plugged in.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MZiva1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Regarding your question Why the built-in display run games using intel graphics instead of Nvidia, this is called hybrid/switchable graphics. It depends on how the computer manufacturer designed the system. Some computers have a hardware switch. Some computers have an icon in the Windows taskbar that you can use to switch the graphics controller. Some computers automatically switch to the Intel graphics if the computer changes to battery power, or it can switch to the discrete graphics if the computer is plugged into AC power. Some computers use third-party software to do the switch.

It's recommended to check with the computer manufacturer how to make this switch on your computer for specific tasks.

Please share the following reports:

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

2. DXDIAG 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save. 

1. Have you tested straight connections without using adapters? (HDMI to HDMI/VGA to VGA)
  2. Have you tested a different monitor?

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MZiva1,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MZiva1,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos