Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Why is my laptop crashing with the Intel driver installed but not Microsoft's generic driver?

s925
Beginner

I have an Acer Spin 315 I bought about 18 months ago. It has an i7 7500U CPU w/ Intel HD graphics 620 igpu, and 12G of RAM. Win10 is up to date. I'm getting random BSODS when I have the display adapter enabled (currently disabled due to the BSOD problem) with error messages that range from service exceptions to kernal problems. It always seems to be a different error message every BSOD although it's the same 4 or 5 errors repeated randomly. I've tried updating to the latest Intel driver, rolling back the driver to Microsoft's generic driver (that works-no BSODs), disabling the display adapter, reinstalling Windows, even replacing the CPU fan. Nothing works. It appears to be connected to an overheating problem since I notice the fan really revs up just before it crashes. It's always in the middle of watching a YouTube video (it does this in any browser- Chrome, Firefox, etc.). I can't remember it crashing unless there's a video playing but I might be wrong.   

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Windows 10 up to date means nothing. What version of Windows 10? 1903? 1809? 1803? Other?

Are you using the drivers provided by Acer? If not, you should.

Doc

0 Kudos
s925
Beginner

It's 1809. I have tried the Acer driver as well.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Then, contact acer support, as they are responsible for supporting your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
s925
Beginner

Thanks for your replies.

0 Kudos
KKrue2
Beginner

Although your chipset is intel,as with my system(HP all in one pc that I just got at an estate sale),your drivers are most likely dedicated to your ACER/HP Computer.This is a software issue,not a windows one.I just updated my drivers yesterday,my utilities program(Glarysoft)Identified the issue and referred me to the "HP Support Assistant",which is a downloadable tool that monitors your system and finds all applicable updates for your hardware.The tool Identifies your exact HP product,then sets to work on Identifying and offering you any updates that need to be done.Not only were my graphics drivers out of date,my soundcard and networking ones were too. It was very easy,and was done all before my coffee could cool. Here is the link. https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html (my computer has a 21 inch built-in touchscreen which is why my graphics drivers are intel/HP and not a standard intel product.)

0 Kudos
s925
Beginner

Thank you for your input.

0 Kudos