Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Why isn't there a version of the Intel Driver & Support Assistant that will work on Windows Server OS's?

JRaym5
Beginner

I'm shipping out 380 servers across the country and would like an easy way to ensure they are up to date on the latest Intel software/firmware.

Why would you leave the server guys out in the cold?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Because IDSA is a tool for users, and not IT server guys who do not need to check on updated drivers every day? Once a server is built and is stable, changes to drivers and server software need to be considered before upgrading, else you will have server problems.

Just a guess.

Doc

0 Kudos
JRaym5
Beginner

I would agree with that "except" you get updated drivers with OS updates ALL the time. And with 2016 you have very little choice but to install them.

My client leans HEAVY on .NET for their applications...and the servers must update regularly because their software developers are writing to the newest .NET versions available to them. Once you open that Pandora's Box...you've got to let everything update.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"I would agree with that "except" you get updated drivers with OS updates ALL the time. And with 2016 you have very little choice but to install them."

A severe design flaw in the OS, perhaps corrected in Server 2019, made by people who will do anything to get the customer to debug their code for them without regard to proper planning and practices. Whoops... Sorry for the soap box.

However, the Intel support engineers monitor these threads and will certainly consider your suggestion.

Doc

0 Kudos
JRaym5
Beginner

I'm just saying that when initially setting up a server...having something that checks the hardware and makes sure you have the latest Intel drivers "at that time" is a good tool to have available. I can't "clone" these systems, so every one is a fresh build.

Granted...I "can" go in and find all the Intel items installed and then individually download them, put them on a USB and install...but it's a PITA.

I hear you about the OS...but I've also had guys never install a single Windows Update on their servers since 2014 when I sent the last batch out and then cry that their software doesn't work anymore when releases are based on .NET versions. 😉 It's a fine line to walk...

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello JRaym5, We appreciate your comment, allow us to check with our upper-level support and we will get back to you. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios
0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello JRaym5,

Thank you for posting your feedback on our Intel Communities.

We appreciate the feedback that you have provided and will share the feedback to the relevant department since, in fact, this software is not supported by any Windows* Server version.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact us back or submit a new question.

Best Regards,

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos