Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20949 Discussions

Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Greetings everyone!

We have officially launched our latest driver supporting 3rd and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD/Iris™ Graphics for Microsoft* Windows 8.1. The version is 3316 and is available at the following locations.

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23324/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_32.pdf here.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23323/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_64.pdf here.

Also; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Windows* 8/8.1 Graphics FAQ.

Since this is our first official driver to support Windows* 8.1 - we are very excited to hear your constructive feedback. We have a good track record with these feedback pages in the past though So feel free to continue contributing any/all constructive feedback here. Additionally, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here.

I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread. Also, please do not message me directly about issues with the driver, keep them in this thread - I will check it daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

EDIT: We are currently collecting the following information. For both users who have already posted here, as well as users who are going to post here, please provide the following information:

* Which error are you having? Code 43 or 31 (Other)?

* Do you have a 3rd party graphics card in your system? (aka Discrete Card, Add-On Graphics Card)

* If so, what is the make/model of that card?

* If so, what driver do you have installed for that card?

* What is the make/model of your system? (full model name please)

EDIT:

I've got a specific data call for users who meet all of the following criteria;

• Do not have a 3rd party graphics card installed in their system
  • Are experiencing either Code 31, Code 43, black screens
  • Have driver 3316 installed on Windows* 8.1

The data request is as such; We need to collect the complete 'System Driver' information from your system for investigation purposes. In order to provide us a copy of this information, follow these steps.

1. Start -> Run -> msinfo32
  2. Expand the 'Software Environment' section
  3. Select 'System Drivers'
  4. File -> Export -> Give the file a name
  5. Attach the file to a response here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you very much!

-Nic

0 Kudos
491 Replies
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

@crholliday: Can you provide me the following information about your configuration?

• System make/model (motherboard make/model if it is a desktop)
  • Processor model
  • Discrete graphics card make/model
  • Intel drivers you have tested with
  • Discrete card drivers you have tested with

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
CHoll6
Beginner

Nic,

• System make/model (motherboard make/model if it is a desktop) Samsung Series 9 NP900X4C
  • Processor model - i7-3517U
  • Discrete graphics card make/model - motherboard graphics
  • Intel drivers you have tested with - everything you have suggested
  • Discrete card drivers you have tested with - n/a

Chris

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

Logs and events

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Here are my log files and events as requested.

0 Kudos
AMill24
Beginner

@nic, I've attached my logs, but am having some difficulty w/ event viewer. I'll try to attach the export when I get it resolved.

0 Kudos
AMill24
Beginner

@nic, I've attached the exported Event Viewer log. Took longer than I anticipated to fix the error preventing the export.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

HP Pavilion 15-e030so W8.1 64bit Intel driver 10.18.10.3316 (disabled) AMD HD 8670M graphic module - driver code 43.

This afternoon I received the Tuesday update from Microsoft and found "2 important updates" including one from AMD. I started to dream Microsoft found a fix but nothing like that! Business as usual, same problem. I'll wait few more days as it is, keeping my hopes you guys find a fix. If not students, right now on vacations, will be in trouble next week )-:

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

Wow, nothing from nic today.

Seems this ought to be a thread he is updating daily, whether he has news or not.

Very surprised to wake up from my sleep, and only see your post today colargol.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Good morning Linflas,

Yes, I was very surprised myself as well! Especially when HP technical support gave up; suggesting me to simply wait for an official update from Microsoft! We have five machines grounded and no official fix from anybody else than you and the experimental fix you performed. To me the highest frustration came from Microsoft that simply ignored our claim, inviting us to re-install Windows 8. Whatsoever, no news from Nic might be good news if he is busy in the lab debugging that issue! Hopping for the best, if no sign of life from him today, I'll take a day off tomorrow and try your solutions on our laptops HP Pavilion 15-e30-so.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Good morning Colargol,

I think you have been putting put too much trust in the Intel Guys. Nic has been moderating also the official Black Screen Thread (also in the Graphics Forum) about black screens appearing on the Intel graphics, which is probably relevant also for your case. It has been going on since the April 2013 with no clear resolution. Though I have not read all the contributions of the thread, it seems that the Intel guys after some months managed to get hold of a computer with this fault, but determined that it was not the graphics fault but that it was caused by a defect on the motherboard. Though I am afraid that the quality of the PC hardware (including Intel's) has been decreasing lately due to the quick technological pace and the general difficult market situation, I do not find such a result very satisfactory for a few months of the research (!?). On the motherboards with add-in graphic cards, the problem seems to be the conflicts between the add-in card drivers and Intel graphics, though it is not very clear whose driver would have to change. In my case, I found the AMD driver to be more aggressive (a few times it took control also of the Intel HDMI port), but this is not necessarily relevant for other computers. From other threads about this problem, it also seems that the AMD beta Catalyst drivers, which work OK for me and some other contributors to this thread, do not solve the issue for all of the users. If I correctly understood your problem, in your case, it is only BIOS you can change, so all depends on the Intel driver.It have not tested the new Intel driver 3325, which has not been issued officially but appeared in the wild, but it seems that it again does not solve our issue.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Hi vsslo,

I fully agree the black screen and conflict has been already reported during the evaluation of the pre-release but we all thought it has been sorted-out, which unfortunately seems not to be the case. In fact we are placing our hopes on both Intel, third parties graphic processors, Microsoft and PC manufacturers. From all of these guys, only Intel has taken attention to our claims. Regarding the problem on laptop such the ones we are operating (HP Pavilion 15-e30-so with Intel graphic processor and AMD Radeon HD 8670M), supported by HP we have performed all classical test, updated BIOS to latest supported by HP but not reached any solution. We haven't tested the driver installation setup experimented by Linflas (see previous posts) and might try tomorrow. As you might read to other blogs, the problem is affecting a very large range of machines and all Laptops manufacturers facing tons of claims from users. Who is responsible for what? I have no idea but for sure there is problem in the way drivers are installed and the way they operate, which is nothing basic users can solve by themselves. Since that is now almost 10 days we are facing that problem without solution from Microsoft, who has to take the responsibility for what they are delivering, I hope a user group will file a legal claim against the company for compensation damages.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Hi again Colargol,

the user group filing a legal claim against Microsoft would be probably successful as at least automatic drivers (including the Intel's) pass through its control. I you remember the introduction of the Windows 8, you can recall that Microsoft required a thorough test of the compatibility of all the applications on the computer, before it allowed the installation of the new OS. This time, it had obviously assumed that this is not necessary (maybe because of the smaller differences between the OSes), which led to some disastrous consequences including those we have been experiencing last days. .

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Yes vsslo, I very well remember the native requirement from Microsoft and fully agree it might have been considered by whoever that 8.1 will not require such level of test. What makes me sadly upset is that million of non geeks are now facing that problem and no, at least obvious, support from Microsoft. It only shows that we have reached a point where customers are not considered as assets, which we unfortunately already noticed with Microsoft taking decision to remove number of functionalities such easy way to boot on Safe Mode. I don't know what to add other that our machines are grounded after the update and all of our colleagues using Apple smiling to me! Whatsoever not too much I can do other than trying Linflas solution, keeping my hopes Microsoft wakes up after a long 10 days of sleeping!

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Colargol,

do try to install the AMD Beta Catalyst driver, though you would probably have to choose the mobile version of the driver and not the Beta Version 6, used by me and Linflas. I warn you that in contrast to the installation of LInflas, for me the beta Catalyst version did not immediately lead to a working 3116 Intel driver. I had to do some more reinstalling of this driver and changing BIOS options to make the things work.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Thanks vsslo for your advise.

To the benefit of all others, if you managed to get it working, can you describe the process you followed? If I understand well from AMD site, the mobile version can only be installed through their installer and not downloaded as standalone package, is that correct? Thanks again for sharing your process with all of us.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Colargol,

I must correct myself: when I installed the Beta Catalyst Version 6 driver, the Intel driver after reinstalling did start to function OK immediately, but stopped to function OK again when I installed some additional applications. Only by reinstalling it and after some changes to the applications and BIOS did it start to function correctly again.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

)-: OK, then it is not stable! What did you had to change in the BIOS to get it working and what type of configuration are you using (laptop with embedded AMD processor or desktop with external graphic card)?

Can you write down the routine you followed to reach stable operation?

0 Kudos
KSzat
Beginner

Okay, I got it to work on my desktop. I have an Asus Z87-Plus with an i5-4670K (HD 4600) and an AMD Radeon HD 7950.

Steps I took to get it to work:

1) From Device Manager, uninstall and delete the driver for the HD 4600 graphics.

2) Install AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta 7 driver. I installed over top of the newest 13.9 driver because I was lazy and didn't expect it to work. Reboot.

3) Find the video device lacking drivers in the Device Manager and install the drivers. I used the zip file from the Intel Download Center. Version 10.18.10.3316. Reboot.

Now, I had a problem here at first. The Device Manager said that the HD 4600 graphics was working correctly with no error codes (I rebooted and cold booted several times to confirm), BUT it did not appear in the Screen Resolution control panel.

4) Reboot to BIOS. Set the default graphics device as the iGPU. (Mine was set to Auto by default.)

5) Everything magically works!

If you have your monitor(s) connected to your discrete card (in my case, the Radeon 7950) set as the primary display, everything should function as normal, however the boot animation will appear on the monitor (in my case, a TV) connected to the HDMI port of the iGPU.

For me, the HD 4600 (which my TV is connect to via HDMI) is disabled in the Screen Resolution control panel when I'm not using it. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the prospect of the Windows boot graphics appearing on a disconnected monitor, so...

6) Go back to the BIOS, and set the default graphics device to PCI-E.

Everything is still working fine/as expected, with one very minor shortcoming.

I have the default audio output set to my TV so that when the HD 4600 (my TV) is enabled, the sound will come through the TV and not the computer speakers. When the HD 4600 is disabled, it will revert to using the computer speakers without me needing to change any settings. In any event, when the sound is passed through the HDMI, the first 1 second or so of sound does not come out of the TV -- however, sustained sound (e.g. watching a movie, playing music, etc) works fine. This is only really an issue if you require audio feedback from Windows errors, new emails, etc ... which are obviously sounds that are less than 1 second in length. When the HD 4600 is disabled, and the sound is passed though my speakers, there is no issue.

Edit: More info about the sound issue. Unless I boot my machine with the TV enabled, Windows does not recognize my TV as being a playback device in the sound control panel. If you rely on HDMI from the mainboard for your audio, this might be an issue, but as long as the computer boots with the HDMI device enabled, it seems to work with the previously mentioned 1 second issue. Sidenote: if I disable the TV and then re-enable it, the sound will not work via HDMI without a reboot. Weird.

I'm not sure if this sound issue makes sense or not; suffice to say it's an acceptable annoyance as compared to being unable to use the HDMI port on the mainboard at all.

Hope this helps someone out there. If you've tried all the same drivers with no luck, or you're dealing with a non-AMD discrete card, I'd try messing with the BIOS settings to force one graphics device or another, as the "Auto" setting may be an issue. It could be the Catalyst 13.11 Beta 7 driver that solved the problem though; who knows.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Thanks Kzat82 for your feedback. Wishing we get a fix that works for all of us soon.

0 Kudos
KSzat
Beginner

No prob. In reading back on your previous posts, are you using the AMD driver provided from Windows Update? I had massive problems with that one giving me a red screen of death (yes, a red one) with my 7950, but I had no issues with the Catalyst suite obtained from AMD's website. Have you tried the drivers from AMD's website?

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

We spent a lot of time with the HP guys to delete driver and install the latest one from both Intel and AMD with the same result (no result). We are operating five laptops HP Pavilion 15-e30-so and all are showing the same problem. However we haven't tested to remove Intel and AMD drivers as suggested by Linflas.

0 Kudos