Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

can't run apps that require opengl 2.0

Abir
Beginner

am using an intel pentium cpu g620 2.6ghz,I want to run apps that requires opengl 2.0 or greater,it says that the processor does support opengl higher than version 2.0,though none of those apps run in my computer,how do I fix this issue?I did download the necessary drivers from the intel.still no solution

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your processor is using the Microsoft generic graphics driver, which lacks features and performance.  There is no Windows 10 driver from Intel.

How to fix?  If you are a desktop, get a nvidia graphics card.   If you are a laptop, there is nothing you can do.

In all cases, for this 10-year old processor, replace the hardware with a new or newer system that has an 8th gen processor or later.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

joe49
Beginner

i am having the same issue my graphics card it is an intel hd graphics 3000 i am trying to run orca or cura slicing software and it tells me i need open gl 2.0 or higher it is a lasptop with windows 10 and im cluless on computers so im guessing i just need a new computer?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am sorry, but you are out of luck. Intel has never supported the use of 2nd gen processor graphics with Windows 10.
Now, Microsoft provides a compatibility driver that allows you to use Windows 10 with these processors, but, because this driver is a shim of an older (Windows 8.x) driver from Intel and OpenGL (and other APIs) are supported from within the driver itself, this means that only older versions of these APIs are available.
Your only option, if support for more-modern API versions is required, is to upgrade your hardware. If you had a Desktop PC, you could have added a card to upgrade the graphics, but this is impossible with a Laptop that relies on the graphics engine in the processor.
Hope this helps,
...S

0 Kudos
joe49
Beginner

im having the same issue my graphics card is intel hd graphics 3000 i am trying to run orca or cura slicing software and it tells me i need open gl 2.0 or higher it is a lasptop with windows 10 and im cluless on computers so im guessing i just need a new computer?

0 Kudos