Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20752 Discussions

cs2 crashes with irisxe

AM777
Novice
With iris xe on a 12500h Asus laptop with 16gb ram, I am able to get reliable 60fps on low settings and low resolution
However, the game crashes frequently (once every couple hours). Can you please try this and let me know if there is a solution possible?
32 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

AM777, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was CS2 working fine before without crashing on this specific machine?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AM777
Novice

Hi Alberto, thanks for your response.

Please find answers to your queries below:

> Is this a new computer?

No, it is about a year old.

> Was CS2 working fine before without crashing on this specific machine?

No, CS2 has been having these issues ever since I started trying it on this machine. I had played CSGO (previous version of CS2) and that was pretty stable and almost never crashed. It also performed much better (60fps at 1080p, low settings on csgo vs 60fps at 720p, low settings on cs2).

> Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

No, I have made no hardware changes, software changes are pretty much just the latest intel graphics driver + arc control software and all other drivers/BIOS are also at latest version provided by ASUS.

> Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Home.

> Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

Please find it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1azhDP09Yc-rWr7YzeGW3cMEUq-0_LgE0/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

AM777, You are very welcome. Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Based on the information shown in the SSU document, we can confirm that the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 31.0.101.5081. Which is the provided by Intel®.

For this scenario, it is important to mention that we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on ASUS's website and the latest graphics drive version they have available is V30.0.101.1368. Please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

If the issue persists after that, then try a clean installation this time of Intel® graphics drive version 31.0.101.5084:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html?wapkw=12500h

Even though you mentioned that the BIOS is up to date, we still recommend to contact ASUS Support to confirm those details just in case there is a newer BIOS version ready for installation:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AM777
Novice

Thanks for your suggestions Alberto

I will try them and get back to you.

> For this scenario, it is important to mention that we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

> I looked on ASUS's website and the latest graphics drive version they have available is V30.0.101.1368. Please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

I see latest driver available from Asus site for my model is V31.0.101.4575 (https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-home/vivobook/vivobook-s-14-oled-k3402-12th-gen-intel/helpdesk_download?model2Name=Vivobook-S-14-OLED-K3402-12th-Gen-Intel) - I am trying with this version of the driver and will get back.

I will try the other version (31.0.101.5084) if this version does not work

> Even though you mentioned that the BIOS is up to date, we still recommend to contact ASUS Support to confirm those details just in case there is a newer BIOS version ready for installation:

https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-home/vivobook/vivobook-s-14-oled-k3402-12th-gen-intel/helpdesk_bios?model2Name=Vivobook-S-14-OLED-K3402-12th-Gen-Intel suggests latest version available is Version 309 which I have installed. Regardless, I have emailed Asus support to double confirm.

Regards,

AM

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

AM777, You are very welcome. Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, you are correct, as you mentioned, the latest graphics driver version provided by ASUS for your system is actually V31.0.101.4575.

Perfect, it is always recommended to check directly with OEM about BIOS versions because they might have a Beta or unreleased version available for installation not shown on their website.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AM777
Novice

I tried both V31.0.101.4575 (downloaded from ASUS site) and V31.0.101.5084 (downloaded from Intel site) and was able to reproduce the CS2 crash atleast once on both.

ASUS support replied back pointing me to the same support website link for the latest available BIOS, so I suspect that there is no newer update available for BIOS from them.

Thanks,

A M

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

AM777, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

We are sorry to hear the issue remains after trying the suggestions provided previously.

Based on that, we will now do further research on this matter to try to find a possible solution for this scenario. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello AM777, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm:

When this game crashes, is there any error, or just closes itself without errors?

Any specific game settings needed/used?

Does the crash only happen every 2 hours or vary?

Have you tried to reinstall the game and make sure no corrupted files are present?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AM777
Novice
Hello Albert,

Please find responses below:

> When this game crashes, is there any error, or just closes itself without errors?

It closes without any errors.

> Any specific game settings needed/used?

I have tried bunch of different settings, crashes happen on all of them. So no, I don't think any specific settings are needed, just need to play casual or death match mode for few hours.

> Does the crash only happen every 2 hours or vary?

It varys, average play time is about couple hours before it crashes. Sometimes it crashes earlier, sometimes it crashes after more than 2 hours.

> Have you tried to reinstall the game and make sure no corrupted files are present?

I haven't tried reinstalling from scratch. I have tried "Verify game files" option that steam provides.

Thanks,
AM
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

AM777, Thank you very much for confirming those details.

We will now continue working on this scenario and provide a response as soon as possible.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AM777
Novice
Hello Albert,
One more update, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CS2. Was still getting crashes after reinstalling.

Thanks,
AM
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

While we are still doing research on this situation, we just wanted to check:

Could you please collect any Windows event logs related to the app and anything that may be useful around the time when the game crashes so we can check them?

Do you have the chance to collect the memory dump files as well for specific app using Task Manager:

-Right-click on "Process" tab and when app crashes, something should be generated in the appropriate directory shown by the Windows popup.

Please run some monitoring apps and record MEM/CPU usage and temps:

AIDA 64:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

HWInfo:

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello AM777, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AM777
Novice

Hello Albert,

Apologies, I missed the previous queries somehow.

>Could you please collect any Windows event logs related to the app and anything that may be useful around the time when the game crashes so we can check them?

I have been trying to get windows event logs (through event-viewer, under windows->application logs) for this game for past few crashes, but don't see anything related to it. Could you suggest where exactly I should be looking?

> Do you have the chance to collect the memory dump files as well for specific app using Task Manager:

> -Right-click on "Process" tab and when app crashes, something should be generated in the appropriate directory shown by the Windows popup.

Do I need to do this when the game crashes or when it is running? I see that the process name disappears immediately from task manager as soon as it crashes so it will be difficult to get it selected and memory dumped with task manager.

On a related note, I do see lots of *_accessviolation.mdmp files in the game directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\game\bin\win64). There seems to be one file for each time it crashed (guessing this because the file name contains date and timestamp and these seem to align with times when game crashed). Would these be useful? I have uploaded few recent ones here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TEILFwjz2YXcz-aOS0fVS1FEnegkPmyr

>Please run some monitoring apps and record MEM/CPU usage and temps:

I have been logging CPU / GPU usage and temperatures using Intel Arc Control overlay and "Libre Hardware Monitor" software already.

I have observed CPU usage to be in low 20% (depending on how I configure -threads launch option for cs2, I have been using it to limit cs2 process to run on the P cores)

I have observed GPU usage usually at 100% and memory usage usually at 80% - 90%

For the CPU temperatures, for few seconds immediately after crash, I have noticed it around 80 degrees celsius

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello AM777, No problem at all. Thank you very much for providing that details.

Regarding your questions and the information provided, we will look into the link you shared and I will confirm the details about Windows event logs and Memory dumps. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

CS2 can also work on Vulkan API. Please create shortcut to cs2.exe and at the end add after "[...]cs2.exe": -vulkan

Look for any error or warning which will have cs2.exe in description. Search in Applications and System section.

Memory dump collection:

• run game
  • open task manager and find cs2.exe
  • right click and select "create memory dump file"
  • note file location

When this is enabled reproduce the error.

0 Kudos
AM777
Novice
Hello Albert

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the vulkan option addition to launch options, it seems to introduce lot of stutters to the game which make it unplayable as for FPS games, we need smooth gameplay.

As for memory dumps and checking the logs, I am yet to try it, I will get back on this as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks,
AM
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello AM777, You are very welcome. Thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, no problem at all. Take your time and once you get the chance please let us know the outcome of memory dumps and checking the logs so I can add it to the Vulkan results you just described.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AM777
Novice

Hello Albert,

Finally managed to get a dump when the game crashed - I got it using procdump and not task manager as task manager seems to be taking a dump immediately after I click the option.

It is zipped and uploaded at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2p1esZdbJIpwIVXksJrxKdN8jixvXFe/view?usp=drive_link

As for event logs, I see the following on searching for cs2:

```

Faulting application name: cs2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6543dbc9
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.2428, time stamp: 0x806d3ecf
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c849
Faulting process id: 0x0xC70
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA0E5B3A377964
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\game\bin\win64\cs2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 43c8c0d7-d467-4281-a97a-f7fc4c0637ad
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

```

Thanks,

AM

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello AM777, Thank you very much for sharing the files.

We will continue working on this scenario and provide updates as soon as they become available.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos