Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20959 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

And, crab grass grows everywhere.

What will happen the first time you encounter a problem on the AMD side of the world? Where will you go then?

Doc

idata
Employee

Hi, there

Some of you may know me also as Wagnard (Display Driver Uninstaller, DDU) developer.

It seems Intel made Version: 15.65.3.4944 available.

I haven't tried it myself yet as I do have the same problems as you guys with an MSI GX63VR laptop.

Just wanted to point out the new version in case it work or help.

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Will give it a try but don't think it'll fix the issue as February can't March, eh?

llala1
Beginner

You dont need to check ... the issue is the same. Nothing is fixed !

0 Kudos
BSony
Novice

Razer Blade 2017 - 7700hq with GTX1060 - Updated to latest Windows update and Intel Graphics update - THE PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED.

0 Kudos
JIot
Beginner

Throwing my name in the ring. Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577 with 1060 Max-Q and Intel i7-7700HQ, 16GB, 512SSD (OS), 1TBSSD (backup and gamestore drive). There was some stuttering back on 1703 OEM, but nothing like the issues now with the 1709 build. I've walked through each upgrade using Acronis and have rolled back to different updates since Oct 2017 trying different Intel 630 and Nvidia drivers. Some seem better than others, but it's still there, especially when opening any web browers (Edge/IE/Firefox-Quantum/Firefox-56/Firefox-ESR/Chrome), in fact, it will micro-stutter even when I open a new tab on most browsers. Compliments to the TrayPwrD3 builder; I haven't tried ByeOptimus yet, it's the only thing that keeps me from downloading Win 8.1 and reinstalling everything.

I should mention I also own a Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 with 1050Ti and Intel i5-7300HQ, 16GB, 256SSD, 1TBHDD. It has the exact same problem stated above with the 7577. The chipsets are different, the video cards are different, the WiFi cards are different, the RAM is different, and the HD's are different. I believed the only common core was the Optimus switching initially leading me to think its Nvidia who's on the hook for this. However, based on my testing, I no longer believe it's the discrete graphics card and that this is an Intel problem during the handoff to the the discrete GPU from the integrated chipset. The problem has been reported all over the Internet and I have to believe many people are just "living with it" and not reporting it.

For giggles, I pulled up an older MSI GS40 Phantom-001 I used to use for work. It has the Intel i7-6700HQ with a GTX-970M. Great gamer, but the screen has pixelated greatly. Anyway, I updated it to 1703, zero stutter, on anything. Then I let it do a Windows update to 1709 and guess what, zero stuttering. I played BF4, opened 4 browsers with multiple tabs. Zero stuttering, I mean smooth as butter. This again, leads me to believe this is an Intel issue, specifically, anyone with integrated graphics runing a 7th Gen chipset being the i5 or i7.

Intel please resolve this stuttering issue!

0 Kudos
EEngl
Beginner

Dell 7577 i7 UHD: I am having the same freezing/stuttering issues and it is driving me crazy! Just throwing my name out there as well to support the fix.

0 Kudos
CDion1
Beginner

Greetings. I have the same issue on Dell 7577 i5 7300 HQ, Gtx 1060- Max Q, build 1709. I can also confirm that on 1703 there were almost no issues at all, except Admin rights icon poping up with some lag, otherwise working pretty decent. I almost ended up returning the laptop, until i stumbled upon this thread. I really Hope Intel will fix this as SOON ASPOSSIBLE, PLEASE. We need the BETA , too! Thank you

0 Kudos
A_
Beginner

Yes its true if you want use your laptop before fix came out INSTALL Windows 10 1703 build and disable updates. You will get less lags its ever possible!

1703 IS BEST SOLUTION FOR NOW. ITS HAVE ONLY ONE REGULAR LAG ON UAC SCREEN.

here is also proof video on my Alienware 17 + 1703 Windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WriHktfrKJo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WriHktfrKJo

0 Kudos
DCzer
Beginner

Hello,

unfortunately i have to say that i have to experience the same issue with my MSI GE72MVR 7RG Apache Pro (GTX 1070/Intel HD Graphics 630).

I also tried to install Windows completely new on my system and found out that the systems runs without stuttering with WIndows 10 without Updates.

The problem is that i couldnt install any Drivers for my graphics card without installing the Windows 10 update...

After installing the newest Windows 10 updates, the problem appears again.

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

I installed Intel HD driver version ending with 4958 and right click doesn't freeze anymore or microstutter, even after rebooting multiple times. However everything else stutters the same, but progress!

Windows 10 16299.248 Dell 15 7567

0 Kudos
DFeli3
Beginner

Where did you find this driver version? I did not find it on intel's website.

0 Kudos
ADear
Beginner

How can I install this kind of driver there are a lot of executive files... instead of a setup!

I tried to update from driver update - manage but I didn't succeed coz it says there are no updates!

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

Right click your start menu, and click on device manager, expand the display adaptors and right click ur Intel HD graphics and click properties. On the tabs click Driver then update driver, then click browse my computer and if for example u have the file in downloads, then u click on downloads. In case it won't update, uninstall the driver, reboot and try again.

0 Kudos
ADear
Beginner

No I couldn't do it... once it's unistalled it appears sth like microsoft... and when I try to update it it's the same thing... like now it says you have no updates for these drives...

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Watch this video to install INF drivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aophb_EVDvw INF Dosyası ile Sürücü Yükleme - YouTube

0 Kudos
ADear
Beginner

I've done all the process it says your drivers are up to date!

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

If you have done the process as told in the video, it does not say your drivers are up to date! It says either incompatible or it just installs. Watch the video and then reply. Please!

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Anyway, it does not fix the issue. So, there is no point in installing...

0 Kudos
SGhos12
Beginner

Only registered to this forum to say I've got the issue too.

I have a Gigabyte Aero 15 (1060 + HD 630) and this issue is driving me mad.

All of my friends (who are in Tech circle) have switched to Mac OS because they just can't be bothered with million little issues Windows have on a constant basis. It's never been reliable.

I'm usually on Windows side, always have been, but a problem like this is inexcusable. This kills the joy of using the OS and navigating around. I could as well just use Command Line to execute my commands.What's the point of having this crap lag fest UI.

Bugs are excusable, it happens. It's the way this issue has been handled is bad.

But having no proper ETA or deadlines after this issue is known for months is simply shameful.

If this was happening on Mac OS, you bet your ass Apple would do everything to fix it in few weeks. Some tech news sites would've picked it up too.

But not with Windows. No one gives a damn. People have the impression of Windows that it's a shutter filled, slow piece of shit OS and issues like this only solidify this image.

Even Win 95 wouldn't shutter when you try to right-click on the desktop.

Shame on all the big corps who couldn't get this fix.