Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
YKuşc
Novice

I think that we are done with Intel. They have said that March/April driver might fix it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?product=98909 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.65]

This is the driver published on March 27. In the release notes (see https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27650/eng/ReleaseNotes_15.65.5.4982.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27650/eng/ReleaseNotes_15.65.5.4982.pdf ) it does say "Intermittent stutter may be observed on systems with discrete graphics." fixed; but we all know that it didn't.

If Intel could fix this, they would have already in this driver. We should give up on Intel and instead put the pressure on Microsoft from now on.

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Agreed.

Like this post if you think that I should update the first post accordingly and forward everyone to the Microsoft thread.

JOliv21
Novice

this a problem from either intel or nvidia, not microsoft... they make the OS's, the other companies are responsible to ensure that their products work with the OS, simple... i dont see microsoft pushing the fix, this either bad hardware design or driver problems for sure. And i can only see intel beeing the one to blame since nvidia got other laptops with lower end gpus working good... itf there was something in their driver i think that they would already found it... right? all gtx 9xxM work good also i think , we either go to asus, msi etc... or to intel but since all (asus, msi, hp ....) companies seem to have the same problem, we can only see intel beeing the one to blame... correct me if im wrong. this is only happening in Pascal gpu's

no lawyer here? good stuff to make money lawyers... come on this thing is ridiculous... worldwide bull....

there are much more than 1500 people with this problem i ensure u every laptop system with intel 7th gen and nvidia gtx1050++sold in this planet has this crap problem i grant u, the only ones who probably dont have this is people with gsync monitors in their laptops since with g-sync u need the monitor directly connected to the gpu itself i think, or people with MXM gpus..

now we need companies like msi asus hp dell all those brands need to come in and either say its their fault or get by our side because its their product... most these users will take very carefull steps next time they buy anything from these companies, and thats not good marketing... most of them will not remember that it was a problem from intel nvidia bla bla bla.. no its the logo in the machine.

we need reviewers talking about this

we need youtubers talking about this

we need brands/stores talking about their business beeing fu***

where are u linustechtips? how many laptops from this gen with this crap did u make a review? a ton for sure !!!! anytime mentioned this? no, did they had the same problem ? for f**** sure!!! so .....??????

we need to make noise because these guys they are all laughing with our money in their pocket...

EDIT: anyone here tested an external gpu with these laptops through thunderbolt? do they also stutter using external gpus? since thunderbolt is not directly connected to the screen, but to intel chipset, like our dedicated gpus, maybe we can get intel to say that its there problem through that... i dont know...

(i think the hdmi is directly connected to dgpu, so it auto forces nvidia gpu ll the time).

BSony
Novice

Completely agree with offmarsboy .

Like I said, I own a 6700HQ + GTX 960M and it WORKS PERFECT with all the Windows versions while my 7700HQ + GTX1060 freezes like I am using an old crappy laptop. So I also think that Microsoft is not to blame here. It's either Intel or NVidia.

One question though, does anyone own a 6700HQ + GTX 1050, 1060 ? How does it perform?

At the moment I am trying to push the problem to Razer, all should do the same to their manufacturer. Maybe they will put some pressure on Intel or Nvidia. And if this problem is not solved, for sure we will want our money back for buying a faulty machine.

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

I agree.. its a compatibilty issue even intel accepted it as a bug orelse they are the first to throw it on others if it is not theirs and I am sure its their and they need to clean up their orelse there will be consequences... i suggest we file a complaint outside and publicize in a magazine as suggested above... these laptops are sure a stuttering mess and we didnt pay for this

JOliv21
Novice

there is one thing i didnt understand there are people here claiming this problem isnt present in linux or macOS so my question is do your laptops have gpu led indicator if so , and believing u can use hd630 in macOS and linux, tell me when u power on thoose OS's whats the led indicating? using the OS do you see changes in led indicator?

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

I'd like to report some weird behavior.

My lag sometimes totally disappear, like opening battery, clicking on display in settings, or any lag at all. Such a dream let me tell u that.

Anyway, so what was, since boot -note that there was lag -, opened chrome, opened steam, started PayDay 2, closed it and started discord and started talking with my friend.

At that very moment I realized that my lag was gone. I thought it was discord so I closed discord and made sure that its running on integrated. I clicked around and my still the lag was gone, so I opened discord back and still lag is gone. Bare with me. This happens a lot to me but now it caught my attention. When I say it happens a lot I mean, every time I reboot, it goes away until it goes away randomly by one of the things I do, definitely not chrome, MAYBE PAYDAY 2?? I will test.

1050 ti + i7300HQ windows 10 1709, not 1803

Also, when spring update is out, can someone do clean install.

0 Kudos
JOliv21
Novice

do your laptop come with led indicator that tells which gpu it is using? open nvidia panel choose intel for everything, reboot see if u have freezes or led indicator changes

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

So uhhhh i started the Indicator and turns out Epic games launcher was using the GPU that's why there was no lag.

Now here is the real question, why? I checked and Integrated was turned on for the launcher so it doesnt make sense, that's why I didn't think that was the cause.

But really, sometimes my lag goes away randomly until I reboot, and I have no idea why. At the time I assure you I didnt have Epic Games Launcher so it's definitely weird.

0 Kudos
JOliv21
Novice

for sure if u open file explorer or google chrome u will see the indicator show gtx1050 also, correct me

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

It doesnt for me, try making the program on nvidia for file explorer and google chrome are set to integrated.

0 Kudos
JOliv21
Novice

i have chrome defaulted to integrated in nvidia panel , still if i open it, led orange then after some sec it becomes blue

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

Yes, hence why the lag exists. It's that split second that causes the lag. Now I really want to know why the lag sometimes randomly go while nothing is running, I make sure that, until I boot.

I use the laptop mainly for Gaming. Maybe long hours of gaming/sessions idk. Anyone gamers here? Maybe the games are the answer??

0 Kudos
FDe_G1
Beginner

Hello everyone

First time using this forum. Decided today to create me an account. I own an Alienware 13 R3 Game laptop with the same Intel HD 630 and Nvidia 1060 like I found on this forum.

I Bought my new laptop in December 2017.

Like always when I have a new system I format and reinstal windows with all updates and drivers to be sure its a clean install.

I have an old windows 10 beta on my USB that I use for every installation. After that I just let it update to the newest version. I formated like 10 times my device because of the lag issue. After a some trys I kept it on the beta windows build and I had no problems. I updated to the latest windows build and the problems where back.

On the latest windows build the only solution how I am working this 3 months is by using the Nvidia drivers form windows 10 default driver installation. Every time when i see there is a new Nvidia driver I install it. I reboot and there is the lag again! but its realy weird it only happens when I am in a fullscreen google chrome or windows explorere when I than go back to the desktop it starts to lag (when draging , when left clicking, when right clicking all same isuses like I red on this forum ) its always like 5 - 10 seconds behind when I have done the action. What I also found out when working in a 'not full screen windows explorer and then moving directly to the desktop again I have nog lag, but when I do the same in full screen or in a full screen google chrome or application it's like the computer needs to switch back to the desktop but very slow. When I do the same action when my device manager is opent I see the GPU section is always getting crazy ( for example when I switch form a full screen windows explorer folder or direction to the desktop my GPU percentages goes from zero to 99 for no reasons.

So when this happens again I know there is no fix yet and use DDU to remove the nvidia drivers. I saw lots of people are also messing around with the Intel HD drivers ... but I didn't touch them when I test a new Nvidia driver .. it has to be something with the nvidia drivers it self because I am running now to stock nvidia driver from the default windows 10 driver installer (date 30/7/2017) (Version 22.21.13.8514) and this is the only way to keep the desktop lag not happening again and I leave the Intel drivers for what they are. I just installed the newest nvidia driver and still the same thing I started again searching on google and found this forum where I went also on 3 months ago.

I uploaded a picture from my Nvidia driver and Intel HD driver so you all can see that this versions are the only that works on my system

Well I tried to let you all know how the problems are expericenced on my machine I hope it helps a little to find this isue My major toughts of the problem are with Nvidia drivers it self becaus like what I wrote already I stoped messing arround with the intel HD drivers because the lag only came back when I use another nvidia driver than the one from 2017

(System)

Alienware 13 R3 Laptop

Intel i7-7700HQ

16GB RAM

512 SSD Samsung

Nvidia GTX 1060

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

CInte1
Beginner

How is 1 millisecond acceptable? Why isn't it zero? If all four parties contributed 1ms each then we'd get what we have now. So like, why not fix the thing that's causing the 1ms delay instead of saying you're "not contributing?"

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

communities_intel_account1111 I'm sorry but if you're measuring the lag that you yourself are seeing within even 10 milliseconds then you have no issue. In case you don't know, it takes 1000 milliseconds to equal just 1 second, your lag is measured in seconds man, as in thousands of milliseconds, so yes, 1 millisecond is acceptable.

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

Coz they are bunch of lazies .

FDe_G1
Beginner

I just tested the new Intel HD driver with the latest Nvidia driver in combination.

When I exit a full screen windows explorer and open directly a new one from my desktop it thakes 7,64 seconds to load a new one.

What just the same lag is. When clicking in the desktop area you notice that it still is 'hanning' for a short time and then starts the action and opens the new window after 7,64 seconds.

going to Upload a short video where you can see the lag

https://youtu.be/Em9BMmlfzTI dGPU Freeze Problem Nvidia 1060& Intel HD 630 Problem - YouTube

EDIT I just removed the new Intel HD Driver and let windows 10 install a windows basic graphics driver when it asked to reboot my system I have the latest driver for my Nvidia 1060 installed beside this basic driver. Now I have no lag going on. I installed again the new Intel HD Driver manualy with windows device manager pointing to the unpacked driver zip folder and the lag is back. For my system the new driver realy doesn't help I hope tis helps finding the best solution

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

faba002 You'll want to report that to the other parties involved. As I said, our investigation is closed having cleared our driver, so it doesn't do any good to upload or report anything further on this forum for this issue, though it could be valuable to the other parties.

0 Kudos
PQris
Beginner

Y ahora que hago?, tengo la predator helios 300 PH315-52 se congela en programas y juegos pesados, le agregue un ssd crucial de 1tb y 1 hdd hibrido de 2tb, probé juegos y programas pesados en las 2 unidades y se congela, en el soporte de acer, no dan con la solución y no se responsabilizan por la falla ¿?, instale todas las actualizaciones de windows 10, actualice los controladores de intel, nvidia y sigue el problema, por favor cual es la solución...

0 Kudos