Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20923 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
CDion1
Beginner

Hi. I have a dell Inspiron 7577 , i5 7300 HQ, Gtx 1060 MAX-Q, and i'm also experiencing all the stutters and the described problem. Im cathcing up on this forum quite a while now, waiting for Intel's patch, but now- CPU clock caught my attention. I tried to reproduce this situation on my laptop, and by this i mean: Closing all tabs, leaving only the wi-fi turned on, leaving the laptop to work on battery, on battery saving option, i get from 1 to 2 Ghz on idle. If i connect the power plug- Ac cable, i get around 3,5 Ghz. Windows 10, 1709 , latest build. Is that normal? Could somebody explain that to me please. If i disable either integrated GPU or nVidia Gpu, i get around 0,9 - 1,4 Ghz on battery. SO? is this somehow related to optimus, and this gpu sort of thing? thanks guys. lets hope for the best now. Im really tired of it already.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Can other users with optimus try and see if their cpu clock is high with no reason? If thats the case this wouod mean something more serius than just freezing. And it actually makes sense because nothing happes for a reason such as freezing.

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

no. i have 0.78 in saving mode.

0 Kudos
KLong1
Beginner

Again, everyone must just remember that this isn't an Intel problem, it's a Microsoft problem, Intel is just waiting for Spring Creators Update which is the next update to Windows. This should arrive in March or April. There are no issues if you have Linux installed or if you are working on a Mac.

0 Kudos
CDion1
Beginner

I have found on the web, iso files of the new Win 10 Build(1803), 17115. Can someone confirm if it fixes our issue?

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

I haven't seen an official 1803 ISO yet. Don't get yourself a MalOS. And I don't think it'll fix the issue either...

BTW, today I got my hands on an MSI PL62 7RC with HD Graphics 630 + GeForce MX 150 and it does not have the freeze issue... From now on, I'll also add devices to the frist post as Non-Effected.

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

A friend of mine has 7700 hq + 1050 Ti configuration, Monster brand. Yesterday, I told him about the issue and he said that he is not affected. I asked his Windows 10 version and it was 1709. I now really don't understand what is wrong with our devices 😕

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

I can also confirm that some devices with GTX 1050/1050 Ti are not effected.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

I have a dell inspiron 7567 and i don't have this issue.

On idle and battery usage varies between 0.9* - 1.15 . Most of the time though is 1.0* - 1.10

0 Kudos
HKim52
Beginner

I think Dell 7567 is not related to this problem.

In my office, I checked another Dell 7567 and this is no problem including "dGPU switch and freeze problem".

This laptop marks 1-0.8 GHz when idle.

I am very suprise to find the name of laptop Dell 7567 in the main article.

I think the Dell 7567 in my office is not affected with this problem.

I do not know what is different!

0 Kudos
CJohn19
Novice

My CPU clock is 0,81-1,1Ghz when idle, on a Dell 7567 and i have this problem. I don't think the CPU C states have anything to do with this problem. Do you guys have an nvme ssd installed? (They use PCI-E lanes). I do, as a boot drive. Is there anyone here with only a hard drive installed?

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Regarding the freeze problem , Dell 7567 has the same issue. Freeze with right click on desktop or on external hard drive. Launching chrome etc. I have i7 and nvidia 1050ti and problem is there

I also have ssd and 1 tb hard disk. Anytime i right click on the 1 tb hard disk i get this issue. Is more annoying than right clicking on desktop whicj i only have to do it rarely.

Regarding the intel driver update i cant see it pushed in windows updates g

0 Kudos
SCard1
Beginner

Also happens with an Alienware 13 R3. Including the stuttering issues, there is also diagonal tearing in most games and applications (much worse in windowed mode) plus a small fps loss when using optimus. All of this issues are solved by disabling either the intel or nvidia gpu which kills the point of optimus.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Has anyone tried with the windows that their laptop comes preinstalled. I mean the windows 10 with the installed drivers by the vendor.

I formatted my laptop once i got it but i cant remember if the issue was there when i first boot to the preinstalled Windows 10 Home.

I have Dell 7567

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

As far as I can remeber, I had it the day it arrived. Feb 2017...

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

This is a result of microsoft and intel not properly compatible with the drivers. And after i contacted the intel suppory they straight forward blamed on manufacturer and the microsoft support blamed intel. And the manufacturer asks to give up the laptop. The issue is pretty messed up. So i tried to solve it myself.so i installed 1709,1703,1607,1511 and the issue persisted on each and every version.

The least was in 1511 i guess theyll just blame each other and this aint gonna be fixed. So i guess the only solution is traypwr

RSkal
Novice

Does it mean that latest Intel statement on "developing" new driver to solve our problem is a fraud?

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

dont lie about 1703, Windows 1703 have only one lag on UAC screen. 1703 is best what you can get now with out lags.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Not for the most of us. We have all the bugs with 1703... Not just UAC.

But for some, 1709 made things worse. I've seen a dramatic increase in the user reports when MS pushed 1709 via Windows Update.

//Updated first post with the addition of Build 1511 to the problematic versions.

BTW, can anyone install Windows 8.1 and give it a try? I've been told many times that it does not have the issue.

Update: Microsoft released Build 17115.1. One of the users on the Microsoft forums reported that it solved the battery icon click freeze for him. Can someone on the Insider Build check and report back please? I don't have it on my laptop.

I'll provide the ISO link. Mods can remove it if it's not allowed. I'm not responsible for any problem!

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3thQ/YKmyq8a86 17115.1.180302-1642.RS4_RELEASE_CLIENTCOMBINED_UUP_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO / Облако Mail.Ru

0 Kudos
DFeli3
Beginner

Second half of the month of March and nothing of any alpha or beta version of the driver? Will this driver really exist? C'mon Intel...

0 Kudos
VGonc
Beginner

MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider, GTX1070, 4K Display same problem. This problem made me sick!!

I'll add to these issues this video, when trying to resize apps interface it behaves like have no video card driver.

0 Kudos