Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21026 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
THens2
Novice

I am on an Acer Nitro 5.

The files were not available to me from Windows Update, but being curious I copied the driver version and hunted it down. Did a manual install and at least thus far, it does seem like some improvement has been made.

I will give it a bit more time across the day as we seem to have a habit for premature celebration as a community but it's looking very good thus far, at least for a few of us anyway. The fact that it no longer hitches when right clicking on the desktop without disabling the iGPU context entry is, depressingly, a big upgrade in and of itself.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Actually no, whoever say that their problem is solved have no idea about the problem. The problem is not solved and it this there!

I'm following this topic for more than a year and I've seen so many users reporting that they no longer have the problem. The next day, they come back all the same...

I simply take everyting with a grain of salt and do not call it solved until I test it myself. And today, I've downloaded my copy of 1703 and will test it and tell you how this version also NOT solves the problem...

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

There is also a new driver 23.20.16.4974. I'll test it too...

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

Link please. Acer predator here

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

And then you'll probably ask "Hey Recep, what the hell is this? It has no setup? How do I install it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aophb_EVDvw

0 Kudos
MZaho1
Novice

So I just tried to install the new driver, however its not compatible with my pc, because its for intel hd 620 and I got 630. But I might have some bad info for you. When I uninstalled the old intel HD driver, I noticed that the stutter is here even with microsoft basic driver, so it got me thinking, that the intel hd drivers are not the issue here, but windows is.

0 Kudos
KLong1
Beginner

Well there we go finally. I've been saying this all along, this may not be an Intel problem but a Windows problem, this is the March/April fix period when the new windows update will be released. Intel will soon tell everyone to upgrade so that Microsoft can look good with their numbers maybe

0 Kudos
MZaho1
Novice

So this is what it looks like with basic driver:

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

dude hows is it goin so far???

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

Manually installed 4974, and it is same as 4973 in terms of behaviour (only fixes the right click). However, I was able to open intel hd graphics tray in 4973, but with 4974 it just can't be opened. That's why I reverted back to 4973. (Dell 7577 : 7700hq + 1060 max q)

0 Kudos
CDion1
Beginner

Wanted to share with you guys another dissapointing thing. I managed to sing-up for getting the insider builds, and installed the latest 1803 insider preview, and guess what? nothing changed, except right click.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Anyone tried skip ahead RS5?

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

anyone did try 17123.1.180313-1507?

0 Kudos
ADear
Beginner

I am currently using it. I just installed it last night. All I can say is YES it fixes only the right click but not file explorer and some other controls that make troubles. I would suggest to wait for april drivers which will be released by intel.

Windows 10 Home

version 1803

build 17123.1

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

Hey. build 17123.1 feels little bit better that others. Some time freeze happens and some time its no lags at all. I am sure they making change in code but its still not fixed.

0 Kudos
KLong1
Beginner

So, after all this time are we still thinking this is an Intel issue? Meaning are we still waiting for an Intel fix or are we just waiting for Spring Creators Update.

0 Kudos
MBong1
Beginner

MSI GE72MVR 7RG ( i7 7700HQ - graphics 630 / GTX 1070 ) .

intel graphics driver version : 23.20.16.4944

nVidia driver version : 391.1

windows version : 1709 ( build 16299.309 )

still have all the problems

0 Kudos
KLong1
Beginner

OMG Intel, you guys can't even fix your own driver for close on a year now.

I want to buy a new machine but I'm waiting for this to get fixed, how long still?

This must be embarrassing. LOL.

0 Kudos