Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20931 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
smoha251
New Contributor I

Did it solve it??

0 Kudos
MZaho1
Novice

There is one more thing I would like to show you guys (sorry for the spam). I noticed one weird thing that I know has something to do with Intel HD this time. Once the 3D settings in nvidia control panel for chrome are set for intel HD, the video playback is quite unusual. Once you hover your mouse over the video, the colors of the video change. This does NOT happen when the 3D settings are set to nvidia graphics. Here is a demonstration of this problem:

Please let me know if you experience this problem too, or if its just my case. Thank you.

akeko
Novice

i have same thing on youtube

SShi7
Novice

I'm experiencing the same thing (video changing colors). But this only happens in Google Chrome, Firefox doesn't seem to have this problem at all!

BM2
Novice

Parradox, I have the same problem too!

Could you open up a new thread in the forum about it? Otherwise it will get lost here! Thanks!

0 Kudos
BM2
Novice

I have posted a separate thread about the color problem mentioned by Parradox here:

If you also experience this, please post it there!

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Here's a fact guys. Before creating the thread on Intel forums, I was talking to NVIDIA. And this wasn't just a support staff talk. I was able to connect to a higher level via email and my PR contact as we are among top 3 tech portals in Turkey... Anyway, NVIDIA rep. was always telling me that this is an issue with Microsoft and they have no control over it. BUT! But he was always telling me not to disclose any information about them blaming Microsoft. They did not want to harm their partnership.

I still believe that this problem can be solved by Microsoft. Sooner or later we will get a fix but it might not be in March/April...

0 Kudos
ssamb1
New Contributor I

Coolrecep: Did you address the issue in Microsoft forum? If so, do you have the link so we can follow it?

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Ages ago. I even contacted multiple MS employees via Twitter. Before this thread, the main thread was on MS forums. I still update it but since Intel accepted the problem and took over the job of fixing it, I'm following the topic here.

Here it is:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/mobile-gtx-1060-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e?auth=1 Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem - Microsoft Community

BTW, I now see that there are more than 1400+ users with the problem...

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

1400 users are still nothing compared to the huge numbers of users who have this issue.

If only they could find out about this thread easily the number of users would be much much bigger.

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

I am givin up guys.. these guys are bunch of lazies ... forget it . Its better i return the laptop and get a pc with a ryzen

0 Kudos
AKama4
Beginner

I've a solution for all of you guys to temporarily fix the mouse freeze issue in all scenarios until Windows releases a permanent fix. It was provided to me by Dell Technical Support and I am hereby sharing it with you guys so you can all fix your issues.

Please follow the steps below in order to remove keys from Regedit

Go to regedit and remove those two entries:· HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxcui· HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxDTCM

As soon as you remove these two entries in regedit (you can access regedit by pressing Win+R key and typing "regedit" and press enter), your mouse freezing issue will be completely gone.

I am using dell 7577 and these steps completely resolved my mouse freezing issue.

You guys can all try this solution and Thank me later!

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

Omg. This is already OLD info and all know about this.

most sad news for now - DELL dont know how to fix all this freezes. OMG

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Really? Read the first post please. You don't need to remove any entries. The Beta driver already solves the right click freeze.

0 Kudos
AKama4
Beginner

My friend, the entries I suggested to be deleted not only solve right click mouse freeze issue but also the mouse freeze issue when using chrome or opening task manager or any other possible scenerio.

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

stop posting this FAKE info. This is not solve anything but right click.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

I won't. Because removing two regedit entries related to the context menu does not solve Task Manager or Chrome freeze. And it has nothing to do with them. In fact, I've seen many users like you who claimed that they have solved the problem. You can't unless you are a highly skilled reverse engineer. If you are not, you are welcome to patiently sit and wait for Intel or Microsoft to provide us with a solution...

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

ahh sorry but i talked to ArmashKamal

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

by the way i dont have right click lag on 1703

0 Kudos
akeko
Novice

if some one not trust me about this build have only UAC screen lag. fix - disable UAC control.

https://youtu.be/MaChMUFgmEI NvOptimusTestViewer Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 (Build 15063.0) - YouTube

Intel HD driver 23.20.16.4944

Nvidia driver 23.21.13.9101

0 Kudos