Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20714 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
MBong1
Beginner

tried your solution and it works ( at least for right-click in desktop , the other things are still broken ) , but i've realized that the guide you posted is just a GUI method of remove the registry key. However thanks, you just get me to last a little longher before a mental breakdown caused by this s**t.

And still no update from intel...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Always use caution when using these 3rd party websites and the downloads they contain. You never know what payload such a download will have and what exactly it does.

Doc

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

I really don't understand why you are still messing with the context menu. Latest driver already solves it and it is already in the first post.

Anyway, here is some more info on the subject:

On February, I was told that there was a Beta driver to be tested solely for the right click issue. Before I recieved the driver, It was already leaked on the Internet. This driver was the first attemt by Intel to fix the issue.

I believe I can share this information with the community:

...It does not resolve all the issues, it is a workaround to the main issue of right clicking on the desktop. We [Intel] still are working on full root-cause to indicate who actually owns fixing the issue. Some other items you listed though I'm told it doesn't resolve, like the battery icon issue, so others may still fail as well. Investigation is still open for the other items, though we still have not narrowed them for root-cause yet.

We're going to release the next version containing this WA and are still investigating the outlying issues and the root cause for all the issues as a whole.

Again, this is from February. No update on the issue have been made after that.

My own opinion is that it is actually Microsoft who owns fixing the issue, not Intel, not NVIDIA. Hopefully, Intel will provide us with a new update on the subject. I would really like to see a fix with Windows 10 1803 but knowing the bureaucracy inside Microsoft, I really doubt it.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Thanks for the info

Since im still a bit hesitant to install the beta driver for fixing right click and i still havent received an update driver from windows, is it safe to install that driver? I mean is it possible to cause other issues such as more battery drain or issues while gaming for example?

0 Kudos
CBara3
Beginner

Its ok, thats from intel site. I will try them, didnt saw that early.

0 Kudos
İKÖSE
Beginner

Same problem here.

Nvidia: 391.01 (GTX 1060)

Intel: 23.20.16.4944 (HD GRAPHICS 630)

0 Kudos
DVeli2
Beginner

Hi, can you guys download nvidia optimus gpu state viewer and see whats the nvidia gpu state. Before I updated intel management engine interface to version 11.7.0.1045 it was being triggered every time I launched explorer from taksbar. After update its idle and no longer triggered by the same action, plus explorer from taskbar opens instantly. I am on 1703. I dont know if this will fix issues you have, but I am just trying to be helpful.

0 Kudos
MMora7
Novice

no, i follow your step's and no results here, in fact i already have the drive version that you told...

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

I tried updating intel management engine interface to version 11.7.0.1045. However, everything is the same as it was before. (Dell 7577: 7700hq + 1060 max Q)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am just an observer here, but how is the MEI related to this?

Doc

0 Kudos
DVeli2
Beginner

Honestly I dont know, but before the update it took solid 5 sec to open explorer from taskbar with dgpu enabled. Disable dgpu - instant opening. Now its instant with dgpu enabled, how, what, why I have no idea, but it worked. Why would I lie? I have an older laptop with i7 4700hq, and gt750m, maybe that has something to do with it.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am skeptical that the MEI is related to this issue. Maybe the OP can address this from the data he has collected.

The current thinking is that this is a Microsoft problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

MEI or chipset drivers usually cause the dGPU to be awake for a while after the install. Other than that, no effect...

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

A user in Microsoft forums has posted a fix that worked for him

6.) Open the Nvidia Control Panel and go to the section entitled

• Manage 3D Settings

7.) In the Program Settings tab, select the Microsoft Shell Experience Hostfrom the drop down list and change the preferred graphics processor for this program to Integrated graphics.

• If it matters, I also manually assigned every non-game program in that list to run on Integrated Graphics.

It does make sense since this is how amd switchable graphics work.

Can someone try this out?

0 Kudos
CBara3
Beginner

I tried, rebooted. Still have problem with opening battery.

0 Kudos
CJohn19
Novice

It's on integrated by default. (Automatic detection: Integrated)

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Tried before, does not work.

0 Kudos
MAl_R
Novice

Acer Predator Helios 300

I7-7700HQ

Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1060 . Intel HD graphics 630

Just received an update that fixed the right click freeze. Other issues are still there.

2018-03 cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1709 for x64 based systems (KB4089848)

Sorry if it's already been reported

YKuşc
Novice

Right click issue was already solved before, via 4973 intel hd driver. However, the fact that microsoft update solves the issue independently from the intel hd driver is a sign of hope for the community (Considering that the issue is caused by Microsoft)

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

I reverted back to 4944 driver to test the sole effects of the new Windows update. Good news, I can confirm that the new Microsoft update solves the right click issue regardless of the intel hd driver version

0 Kudos