Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21026 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
RBalt1
New Contributor I

As I thought, just like all other pointless "this build fixed the issue for me" reports, build 17110 does not fix the issue. Hopefully, we will have a proper driver soon.

In the meantime, please install http://members.iinet.net.au/~michaeldd/Intel%20HD%20&%20Iris%20Graphics%20Drivers%20Version%2023.20.16.4958%20WHQL.zip Driver Version 23.20.16.4958 WHQL and report back the differences.

0 Kudos
MBong1
Beginner

hi coolrecep, can you tell me where did you find this driver ? , got a i7 7700hq w\ hd graphics 630, latest driver i can see for my equip is .4944 . Thanks for sharing btw

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

It was first mentioned by SuperiorVenomus. Then I did a small research and found the download link. It is a leaked driver. So, it is up to you to use it or not. No one takes responsibility.

0 Kudos
ssamb1
New Contributor I

installed via .inf method from that driver source Driver Version 23.20.16.4958

for a moment there, everything was smooth and no stutter

then i rebooted and the issue came back

0 Kudos
JAyda1
Beginner

Hi @ifotted... do you mind to verify that the last version is still installed? I´ve installed in some point the 4944 version, and for some reason, the 4749 keep showing up as installed... and that´s when the stutters show up again....

0 Kudos
ssamb1
New Contributor I

yes I verified it, went to device manager, and the driver version matches what I updated to.

Interestingly some of the programs that I opened don't stutter as much. But when opening firefox, it stutters.

When I open control panel, it used to stutter, but not with this update.

Just random stutters..

0 Kudos
ADear
Beginner

I have installed update 17110 which was released before 24hours from now but it DOESN'T FIX this issue. It's not even related to it.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

ProletarianFIghter

Please stop misinforming people.

Regards

0 Kudos
JLine1
Novice

Confirmed that the update fixes nothing. Just tried it myself.

The arduous wait continues.

0 Kudos
qCAN
Beginner

INTEL - NVIDIA - MICROSOFT Please Fix this issue. ( MSI GE73VR 7RF , GTX 1070 - 7700HQ ) There is no solution right ?

0 Kudos
JAyda1
Beginner

For some of us, the lastest isider 17110 + intel 4749 + nvidia 391.01 seems to behave very good, and with minimal freezes... I´m not saying that the problem is fixed, but so far, is the best software config for me.

0 Kudos
ATell1
New Contributor I

The new 23.20.16.4973 WHQL driver is now out on stationdrivers, still haven't tried it but thought I should mention it should anyone want to try.

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

Tried it, nothing new. Not sure what's actually "new" in this driver to begin with, as I didn't find anything out of ordinary or less stutters per se.

0 Kudos
ATell1
New Contributor I

I see, well thanks for testing it.

0 Kudos
SMorr8
Novice

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 7567 for university (as well as gaming of course) and I am so upset to have discovered this issue! I noticed it as soon as I turned the laptop on. I am heartbroken as it took me such a long time to save for this laptop. I am devastated by this issue. I am also disgusted that this issue is not publicized enough, the tech You tubers have quite obviously been payed off or threatened somehow. it is just unacceptable that this issue exists. it needs to be fixed and it needs to be fixed NOW. I will gladly join any class action should any emerge here in Australia.

Intel, we appreciate that you acknowledge the issue, so please fix this, for all your customers.

tminh
Beginner

Has Intel fixed micro cursor stutter when right click on desktop yet?. I have a dell 7567 gaming laptop

SMorr8
Novice

They haven't fixed anything, it's still pathetically laggy in that and all other tasks

0 Kudos
ATell1
New Contributor I

I wonder how much nVidia is responsible because Optimus switchable graphics is their implementation, any Radeon mobile users with similar issues?

0 Kudos
DSerr3
Beginner

I have the same problem (mouse lag when right clicking on the desktop, or when clicking on the battery icon for example), but I have a Radeon 550M in a Lenovo ideapad 720 with an i7-7500U.

So I don't think this problem depends on nvidia drivers, anyway right now I disabled the dedicated GPU to avoid this problem, but it's not something acceptable on a laptopt that costed more than 1000€.

Looking at GPU-Z graph for the dedicated GPU, I can see that it keeps going from 0MHz to around 200MHz, as if it was constantly switching between active and inactive.

0 Kudos
KSimm1
Beginner

I have just recently purchased a Dell 7577 and I am experiencing the same stutter / delay issues. One really jarring issue is left clicking on Windows File Explorer takes around 4 seconds to open, but if I open Nvidia control panel and click on adjust image settings with preview, File Explorer then opens instantly.

This is very annoying, we should not have to do this just to fix core Windows functionality.

0 Kudos
SMorr8
Novice

Ksimm I am having exactly that issue, that's what made me recognise there was an issue in the first place. It's very frustrating as you'd know. I hope it's fixed soon.

Thoughts on this Intel?

0 Kudos