Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

dwm.exe memory leak

olezhkafp
Beginner

Hi,

dwm.exe (Desktop-Window Manager) uses a lot of memory - sometimes it can be around 10 GB, but today it was something special as it took around 90 Gb...

I have Windows 10 Pro, ver 21H2 (build 19044.1415) - with all updates installed

Hardware: Laptop MSI GP76 with 64 GB memory and Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU.

I found resolution here https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/BUG-dwm-exe-uses-memory-leakage-with-Intel-HD-Graphics-630/td-p/1222297/page/7 but the problem is that this driver is not supported with my CPU, as in list of CPU's I see only 10875H and not 10870H.

As my RAM was filled out - this process took virtual memory using my SSD.

Laptop reboot fixed the issue - and after rebooting dmw.exe took only 80 Mb memory.

2022-01-12+10.49.22.png

2022-01-12+10.51.34.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

"but the problem is that this driver is not supported with my CPU" What driver are you talking about? the BETA driver 30.0.101.1121?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19387/685538/intel-graphics-beta-windows-dch-drivers.html

Probably they just missed to add this SKU. I can even see on the list 6th gen CPUs listed as compatible so I would say this is just a typo...

Anyway, you have a 10th gen CPU with graphics listed as " Intel® UHD Graphics for 10th Gen Intel® Processors". If you look for drivers for this graphics model, you also get the said BETA driver 1121. Look here and scroll down to Drivers & Softwares:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/197533/graphics/graphics-for-10th-generation-intel-processors/intel-uhd-graphics-for-10th-gen-intel-processors.html#support-article-selector

0 Kudos
olezhkafp
Beginner

@megan3000 wrote:What driver are you talking about? the BETA driver 30.0.101.1121?

yes, exactly this one.

Thank for your reply and help! I read description about this driver, and looks like it's not supported by my OS, as I see

3 0.0.101.1121

Windows 11 Family* , Windows 10* (21H1), Windows 10* (20H1), Windows 10* (19H2), Windows 10* (20H2), Windows 10* (19H1), Windows 10* (RS5)

But I have Windows 10 21H2 version installed

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Well... I have 2 machines with Win 10 21H2 and running the latest drivers with no problems... and had no problems when installing them...

You may give it a try and install the driver... (you can always roll back to a previous version in case of any issues)...

There is also another driver newer than the BETA driver (based on release dates) 30.0.101.1191

Perhaps it may include the fixes of the BETA driver ...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

I would give it a try...

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello olezhkafp,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Can you take a picture of the task manager from the "processes" tab?

3. Is the issue recent? If so, when did it start?

4. Are you using a laptop O desktop computer?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello olezhkafp, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
olezhkafptest
Beginner

Hi sorry for long reply! I tried reply with my olezhkafp account - but for some reasons it's blocked ☹️ Intel blocked me because I've created an issue here? 🤔 When I try to login I see this

2022-01-20 19.35.20.png

I sent request using contact us - but my account still blocked.

Replying to your questions:

1. Summary report from Intel SSU is attached

2. - I have around 20 applications running, 112 background processes and 94 windows processes - so, it's a problem to make a screenshot.

3. First time when I saw this problem - in around 3 months ago, but then I reboot my laptop and it was okay sometime.

4. I am using laptop MSI GP76

Last time when I got this issue and this process took 90 Gb memory, it was after I left my laptop to sleep (as I am never turned it off, just use sleep mode) at night and then in the morning it happened when I wake my laptop. I remember that were launched firefox and VMware workstation (with running windows 10 inside).

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello olezhkafptest, 

Thanks for the info provided. In this case, please try a clean installation of the Intel drivers.

Also, you can check with MSI for further instructions and recommendations.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello olezhkafptest,  

I reviewed your case, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello olezhkafptest, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello olezhkafp, 

I have received your response and I apologize for the issue with youe=r account. Please remember that you can open a new post and use this one as a reference to continue with the support if needed.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos