Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

emulated 128/256/512/1024 integers in foss driver

jmaha3
Beginner

stuff like

malloc(sizeof(int) * MACRO_WITH_MULTIPLIER);

it would be slow but you can add hardware emulation

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello jmaha3, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to gather more information of the situation right now. First, we do not have an Intel product mentioned here so I need to know which product you are referring to. Also, I need more information of the issue that you are describing or else, the feedback that you are providing so we can continue further. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
jmaha3
Beginner

I don't know the name of the GPUCS but the code could be added to the i915/i915kms driver for Unix

I don't know much about GPU programming, would love to learn, but I can imagine a 64-bit float is only as good as its register. But, if you combine many 64-bit floats in a line through *malloc() and using a custom size (or a multiplier in my case) could create a software 128-bit emulator, or even a 1gbit emulator. but it would be drastically slow. This is mainly for video games, but it can be applied to most types of computer programming paradigms.

Basically, I want intel to support 1024bit floats/longs/pointers through software and hardware on their GPUs and maybe cpu platforms, through an emulation layer. could save some skin in the future.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello jmaha3, Did you have the chance to check my post? Let me know if you need any more assistance. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello jmaha3, Thank you for your response. I can see that you are providing us feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this information. I will forward this information to the respective department. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos