Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21014 Discussions

eye strain

CNeub
Novice

hello,

I have a Notebook with Intel Core i7 4710 - Intel Graphics 4600 and external Nvidia Gforce GTX 850M for about 2 weeks now. I connect the Notebook on two different places per HDMI with nearly three year old lg monitors. With my old Notebook (Intel Core2Duo and Nvidia Gforce 9500GT) I had not any problems with this two monitors. However when I connect one of the two monitors with my new Notebook I get eye strain and headache. Of course I use the right resolution FullHD and tried out different brigthness and contrast adjustments in intel graphic properties. OS is Windows 7 Prof x64 and the newest drivers are installed. Version:15.33.22.64.3621

Nearly two months ago I purchased an other Notebook with Intel Core i7 4700MQ - Intel Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Gforce GT755 M. I had the same problem there and so I sent it back, because I thought that the Notebook has an defect. I tried out Windows 7 and Windows 8 and had the same eye problems in the two different OS.

Now I do not really know what the problem exactly is, because I have these problems with two different Notebooks on two different external LG Monitors and the integrated Displays of the Notebooks. But I thinkt the problem is the Intel HD 4600. Maybe that there is something wrong with the driver.

Do you have any ideas about this? Couse I can't purchase and send back new Notebooks all the time.

Sorry for my bad english

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

All,

Apologies for the length in the time since our last update. In the elapsed time we've completed extensive and thorough testing of the issue you've reported to us. We sought external testing to ensure we weren't overlooking anything and to ensure unbiased results. We've worked with some of you individually, testing the actual platforms you're reporting the issue on with the specific drivers you claim are causing an issue. User Kray_62 sent us his system and we sent the unit and the drivers with & without perceived issues (version 2476 & 3347 respectively) to a 3rd party test lab [TUV Rheinland] who conducts eye comfort certification on visual displays. TUV tested various factors like luminance, color, flicker, and blue light. TUV's test results concluded no measurable difference between the drivers on neither internal nor external displays. Not to say there isn't a perceived issue, but without measurable differences between drivers, there is no objective way to resolve the issue. We have reached the end of our investigation and will be closing this issue.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
405 Replies
AHala3
Beginner

Hello all.

I have 3 devices with Intel HD GPU, and i never hit this issue.

Just what it is really strange to me - someone recommend to adjust brightness to 100% - if i do this, my eyes are burned out in few minutes, this is just crazy.

Right now, i am working on external panel connected to HD 3000 and my brightness is set to 30% - contrast to 40% (on the external panel). Drivers are set to defaults.

I am working 8 hours per day on it with no problem at all.

0 Kudos
PRome1
Beginner

I would like to toss my hat in the ring here.

Same exact problem. I have an old laptop running Intel(R) HD Graphics Family version 8.15.10.2353 and it's fine. My current driver on Windows 10 is Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100, version 20.19.15.4331, and it causes eyestrain (not as bad as some others). I tried another laptop that had Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 version 8.15.10.2353, and it was AWFUL. I'm going to try the 4300 driver mentioned earlier, and I'll give a report back after a few days. So weird!

A couple questions:

1) Will that driver work with my Iris graphics card? (I guess I'll know the answer to that soon...) I don't want to damage the card by using an imcompatible driver.

2) Right now I have the driver completely disabled. So how can I find out what fallback, generic driver my computer is using at present?

0 Kudos
DKour
New Contributor I

By the way, I have been trying the 4279 driver on and off. It is better than 4300 even though I still get eye strain. It seems that, the earlier the driver the better. The worst is the latest one, downloaded from Windows update.

0 Kudos
DKour
New Contributor I

Also, at this site http://www.testufo.com/# test=blurtrail Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests which Kray_62 mentioned, I see the separate lines a lot less with the 4279 driver than with the 4300 and later drivers. (They look more like a single line)

(I think it had something to do with PWM? I don't know these things very well )

0 Kudos
DKour
New Contributor I

One more thing, what Sunspark said about the 4279 driver having a "creamier" effect on the backlight is very true and very helpful. Before I reached this forum and learned about everything that can cause irritation when looking at the screen, I had perceived the issue as the white colour being too bright on my screen. Turning down the overall brightness to the point that this was not an annoyance was making everything too dark and no ammount of colour callibration would correct the issue. The 4279 driver renders the white parts of the screen gentler to the eyes.

0 Kudos
DKour
New Contributor I

One last note for now, for my part. I had to do a lot of work today and I practically spent the whole day in front of the screen. As an experiment, I used the 4279 driver. I don't know why I had not come across it before. I only started using after Sunspark mentioned it. I don't know if anyone else can confirm this but it really is much much better than the 4300 driver, for the reasons mentioned above. Moreover, after long hours working, I almost have no eye strain. Further improvements would be welcome but 4279 is definitely good enough if the issue cannot be further looked into. Ronald_Intel, I would suggest that 4300 is disregarded as an example of a well functioning driver and only 4279 is used as such instead (unless someone disagrees). I also hope that, in the absence of other solutions, 4279 is always kept available on the downloads website so that people who are having problems with the latest version can use it as an alternative.

0 Kudos
SMohd2
Novice
0 Kudos
DKour
New Contributor I

Hi Kray_62,

Yes, that's the one. It is still not perfect, but much better than 4300.

0 Kudos
DKour
New Contributor I

Some more info:

• After using it for more days, I am now even more certain that the 4279 driver is much better than the 4300. I still have eye strain though and my vision gets affected after using the computer for long hours. I hope that this cannot create permanent damage.
  • I have also disabled "Intel Display Power Saving Technology" from the BIOS. I am not sure that this helps, but I read that it changes the image quality to save energy (in a way that is not visible), so perhaps it does have an effect.
  • Without the Intel driver, using the Microsoft Standard VGA driver, I get no eye strain at all. Alternating between the two, there is a noticeable difference on what I see. With the Standard VGA driver, everything on the screen is very crisp and solid. I can almost see the pixels. With the Intel driver there is a slight blur on the screen and I can only see things clearly if I focus on a specific point for a couple of seconds. There also seem to be some black patches in my vision (very slight and hard to notice, it sounds a lot worse than it really is but anyway, their existence is bad enough ). The problem with the Standard VGA driver of course is that it has terrible 3D acceleration and performance and I cannot regulate the brightness.
  • When I try the PWM test (http://www.testufo.com/# test=blurtrail Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests - mentioned by Kray_62 earlier on) with the Standard VGA driver, I see a thick, completely solid line moving from left to right. With all Intel drivers, even at the highest brightness level, I can discern multiple lines. They tend to become a single solid line at 100% brightness, but not completely.

I hope this information helps in some way.

0 Kudos
DKour
New Contributor I

By the way, regarding the PWM issue, I am not sure that having PWM is by itself what affects my vision. I have tried the PWM test (http://www.testufo.com/# test=blurtrail Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests) on my work PC. I also see separate lines moving there instead of one thick one but I get no eye strain at all, even after working for hours.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello all,

All your new updates have been noted, that includes driver .4279 as the base-line to start with.

The following test is just to help us in the investigation:

- Boot Windows in Safe mode. This will default to basic display driver.

- Test while in Safe mode to confirm if eye strain occurs.

- Note the screen resolution that defaulted in Safe mode (e.g. 1024x768).

- Boot Windows in normal mode.

- Switch the screen resolution to match the one used in Safe mode.

Do you experience eye strain in normal mode using the same resolution that was set in safe mode?

To DShorr, unfortunately no one at Intel can know what changes were done in BIOS, as this is something that only the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) generates and maintains, in your case, that would be Dell. Your input is certainly puzzling, as most people here experience eye strain with newer Graphics controllers, which share a common unified driver (e.g. .4300, .4279). But in your case, it is a very old graphics controller that shares no characteristics (i.e. drivers, architecture), and one that I can confirm we haven't had reports like this since it launched in Q3'08. Try the above steps and check if it helps.

Regards,

0 Kudos
DShor
Beginner

I did boot in safe mode to "completely" uninstall the newer Intel driver with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller); the DDU log shows many registry entries and files were deleted so a regular uninstall still leaves remnants. I plan on wiping and reloading Windows with the original Intel driver.

I don't experience eyestrain with the VGA driver just like users of newer graphics controllers. My most recent "fix" is switching on High Contrast (Shift-Alt-PrtSc) with Intel driver 8.15.10.1808 and resolution set to 1366x768. I don't get the eyestrain that I did with the bright white background.

Has anyone tried turning on High Contrast to reduce the eyestrain?

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/?q=node/69 Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.7.5.5 Released. | WagnardMobile

0 Kudos
PRome1
Beginner

@Ronald_Intel, just out of curiosity, is any of this research being done in Colorado? If so, I'm 40 minutes away from both Longmont and Fort Collins, and I wonder if it would be worth my going in and maybe bringing some of my equipment to help the team research.

0 Kudos
DKour
New Contributor I

Hi Ronald_Intel,

I have performed the procedure, booting in safe mode, the way you described it.

• I don't get eye strain in safe mode. However the screen is too bright there and brightness cannot be modified. It looks like the computer is using the standard VGA driver.
  • The resolution in safe mode (which also cannot be modified) is the same as the recommended resolution (which I use all the time) when booting normally. When booting normally, with the Intel driver, I get eye strain (even with the 4279 driver, which is better than the others, but still not perfect).

I have also noticed that the eye strain "builds up" over time. If I have not looked at my screen for a few days, when I use the computer for a couple of hours, my eyes almost feel normal. After a few hours, they start getting irritated and my vision (when looking at the screen) gets weird. If I then use the machine every day, it gets worse and worse over time, meaning that the first few hours every day are not as good as the first few hours after not having used the computer for days. Then, if I stop again for a few days, my vision gets "reset" so to speak, and the first few hours when I switch it back on are almost normal, until my vision deteriorates again.

I am also beginning to suspect that things are much worse when there is no sunlight, even if I set the brightness as low as possible.

0 Kudos
SMohd2
Novice

_dimitri_ wrote:

Hi Ronald_Intel,

I have performed the procedure, booting in safe mode, the way you described it.

• I don't get eye strain in safe mode. However the screen is too bright there and brightness cannot be modified. It looks like the computer is using the standard VGA driver.
  • The resolution in safe mode (which also cannot be modified) is the same as the recommended resolution (which I use all the time) when booting normally. When booting normally, with the Intel driver, I get eye strain (even with the 4279 driver, which is better than the others, but still not perfect).

I have also noticed that the eye strain "builds up" over time. If I have not looked at my screen for a few days, when I use the computer for a couple of hours, my eyes almost feel normal. After a few hours, they start getting irritated and my vision (when looking at the screen) gets weird. If I then use the machine every day, it gets worse and worse over time, meaning that the first few hours every day are not as good as the first few hours after not having used the computer for days. Then, if I stop again for a few days, my vision gets "reset" so to speak, and the first few hours when I switch it back on are almost normal, until my vision deteriorates again.

I am also beginning to suspect that things are much worse when there is no sunlight, even if I set the brightness as low as possible.

Spot on _dimitri_. That is exactly how I feel with the eye strain as well. It definitely "builds up" over time, which was why if I were to test a new laptop, or test a new driver, I would need to test it at least a few days to a week before I can truly know if the laptop or the driver causes eye strain or not.

0 Kudos
PCons1
New Contributor I

Hi Ronald_Intel this Intel Corporation PDF http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~mobile/elec518/readings/display/intel07.pdf http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~mobile/elec518/readings/display/intel07.pdf from 2007 is interesting reading.

So here are my observations.

Where temporal dithering and other things are concerned in current drivers, if compatible, the HDMI output will allow a checkbox called Enable or Disable IT Content. By toggling this checkbox the user specifies that video processing of the image is to be done by the display panel (usually TV) and not by the drivers, because that would result in double-processing. I do have a displayport to hdmi adapter and I do see the image on the computer monitor change depending on whether the toggle is on or off. This is a form of proof that image manipulation is occurring via the driver and that it is not just straight 1:1 mapping. Ideally, the image should be passed to the panel unaltered.

Touching on some points in the paper:

A) DPST - Describes how backlight and contrast are modulated at the same time to produce a "visually equivalent" image. I'm aware that some configurations (usually laptops) provide a checkbox to disable it, but not all do.

B) DDPO - Describes a method by which the image is displayed interlaced to save power rather than progressive and switches back and forth between static and progressive driving after analyzing the content on the screen.

C) DRRS - Discusses switching between 40 and 60 hz refresh battery vs AC, mainly for laptops.

What we would like to test on an experimental basis would be variant driver where there the monitor does the dithering not the driver, where no image manipulation is done (i.e. IT Content in RGB mode for vga, dvi and displayport), and none of the DPST or DDPO features.

I hope this analysis provides solid backing as to cause and effect for study.

0 Kudos
MGrbi
Beginner

Hello everyone, four days ago I bought DELL Inspiron 5558 / Core i3 5005U (also had faulty battery) and it caused me hedache and eye strain, so I returned it and took ASUS X554LA-XX1579D / Core i3 4005U. Now I have the similar problem, I have hedache and I dont know if I'm going crazy or not but I think i am having bad vision from using this laptop. Can someone please legally advice me so I can return this laptop again and get my money back? I live in European Union, Croatia. Thank you!

0 Kudos
PRome1
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Eyestrain, nausea, and headache when using Intel Iris Graphics drivers

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Slow onset (a few days), then 100% of the time.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH Mini PC

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Gateway FHD2303L (EFP)

(I should note that I've used this monitor for years without the slightest problem — attached to another computer running Windows 7 and Intel Graphics Family driver 8.15.10.2353. I can still plug it into that computer and the strain vanishes.)

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-right-width: 1pt; border-bottom-width: 1pt; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-color: windowtext; border-botto...
0 Kudos
PCons1
New Contributor I

Today, I decided to test the mini-HDMI to HDMI output with a new cable on my NUC 5i5RYK. Usually I use an active displayport to VGA adapter due to this thread. Both inputs are using the same monitor. I can see a visual difference between the two inputs. With the HDMI input there is a noticeable subtle background 'beat' or shimmer that doesn't exist in the same manner using the other connection method.

Some numbers, sourced from MadVR as I use this as my video player.

mini-HDMI output-HDMI input: 59.8785 Hz display refresh reported in MadVR

mini-Displayport output-active VGA adapter input: 59.9103 Hz display refresh reported in MadVR

What these reproducible numbers demonstrate is that Intel's HDMI output has a fractionally slower refresh on the HDMI output than it does on the displayport run through an adapter to VGA.

If anything, I would expect it to be the other way around as there is an additional processing step between the output and input.

0 Kudos
PCons1
New Contributor I

Further update, decided to plug in my 2 oldest adapters that were not advertised as active adapters like my VGA one.

mini-displayport to DVI: 59.8781 Hz

mini-displayport to HDMI: 59.8781 Hz

The DVI one has a touch of the beat I mentioned, the hdmi one less so (but better than the native intel hdmi connection with no adapter).

Of these 2 numbers, they are a touch slower than the intel's hdmi output which would make a bit of sense because there is something in the middle.

None of these connection methods were able to reach 60.000 Hz or even 59.94, though the VGA adapter came closest at 59.91.

I wonder what the reason is that the Intel driver is not able to output 60 Hz on my system.

I'm looking at a screenshot of someone else's hud output who has a 4770k, the Intel HD 4600 while mine is a Broadwell HD 6000.

His # is showing 60.001 Hz but doesn't say how it is connected to his monitor (or tv).

0 Kudos
KChen83
Novice

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same exact problem! I bought an ASUS UX305ca notebook 5 days ago and have been very frustrated with eye strain and dizziness for the last 4 days. As a background, I have been using a SONY VPCSB35FW notebook with a discrete ATI Radeon graphics connected to my external Samsung S24B300 LED monitor for 4 years. I have never experienced eye strain in the last 4 years and can use the monitor up to 10 hours a day. Now with the new ASUS notebook with integrated Intel HD 515 graphics, I get eye strained within 10 mins and can no long continue to use it. I did all kinds of adjustments (brightness, contrast, sharpness, monitor change, cable change) you can imagine and still no improvement at all.

This a very serious and crippling problem.

Unfortunately, I bought the notebook in Taiwan where there is no policy of notebook return after you bought it. My only hope is there is no bug in the Intel integrated hardware itself and Intel can fix this in a driver update. I show this problem to another colleague of mine and she gets eye strained as well so I would think the problem exists more than 5% of all users. Most people don't recognize this problem as Intel related and would post here if they can find this thread. (I am glad I found this thread)

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Eyestrain, nausea, and headache when using Intel HD Graphics 515

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Every time after about 3 mins use. It feels like the screen is popping

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

ASUS Zenbook UX305CA

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)<...
0 Kudos