Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20922 Discussions

eye strain

CNeub
Novice

hello,

I have a Notebook with Intel Core i7 4710 - Intel Graphics 4600 and external Nvidia Gforce GTX 850M for about 2 weeks now. I connect the Notebook on two different places per HDMI with nearly three year old lg monitors. With my old Notebook (Intel Core2Duo and Nvidia Gforce 9500GT) I had not any problems with this two monitors. However when I connect one of the two monitors with my new Notebook I get eye strain and headache. Of course I use the right resolution FullHD and tried out different brigthness and contrast adjustments in intel graphic properties. OS is Windows 7 Prof x64 and the newest drivers are installed. Version:15.33.22.64.3621

Nearly two months ago I purchased an other Notebook with Intel Core i7 4700MQ - Intel Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Gforce GT755 M. I had the same problem there and so I sent it back, because I thought that the Notebook has an defect. I tried out Windows 7 and Windows 8 and had the same eye problems in the two different OS.

Now I do not really know what the problem exactly is, because I have these problems with two different Notebooks on two different external LG Monitors and the integrated Displays of the Notebooks. But I thinkt the problem is the Intel HD 4600. Maybe that there is something wrong with the driver.

Do you have any ideas about this? Couse I can't purchase and send back new Notebooks all the time.

Sorry for my bad english

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

All,

Apologies for the length in the time since our last update. In the elapsed time we've completed extensive and thorough testing of the issue you've reported to us. We sought external testing to ensure we weren't overlooking anything and to ensure unbiased results. We've worked with some of you individually, testing the actual platforms you're reporting the issue on with the specific drivers you claim are causing an issue. User Kray_62 sent us his system and we sent the unit and the drivers with & without perceived issues (version 2476 & 3347 respectively) to a 3rd party test lab [TUV Rheinland] who conducts eye comfort certification on visual displays. TUV tested various factors like luminance, color, flicker, and blue light. TUV's test results concluded no measurable difference between the drivers on neither internal nor external displays. Not to say there isn't a perceived issue, but without measurable differences between drivers, there is no objective way to resolve the issue. We have reached the end of our investigation and will be closing this issue.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
405 Replies
ASere7
Beginner

According man fbdev multi-head configurarition is supported.

Did you try?

Xorg.log?

0 Kudos
ASere7
Beginner

According man fbdev multi-head configurarition is supported.

Did you try?

Xorg.log?

0 Kudos
NMuss1
Beginner

I am using the laptop with intel drivers disable. I can't even adjust de brighness of the screen. It is barely unusable but there is no eye strain. As soon as i go to the device manager and turn on intel graphics it destroy my eyes. The screen don`t have PMW, also disabled dithering with no diference. I am very upset, i can believe that 4 years have passed and intel didn´t do anything to fix the problem, that speaks for the care that intel have for its consumers. It can be so difficult to check what the intel drivers are doing and the base drivers don´t and fix it. Now i undertand why so much hate and people start migrating to AMD!

0 Kudos
PSobc2
Beginner

Hello

I've tried to configure xorg.conf in few ways but without effect, always dual screen do not work...Maybe i just can't do it. If somebody can help me with it, will be great, trying to google it and set, but always without effect.

Meanwhile i can confirm, that disabling intel drivers on windows and linux aswell helps a lot, i am testing in on those both OSs for more than week and feel much difference.

I hope Intel team will find solution...and o hope the are still working on it..

Greetings

0 Kudos
ASere7
Beginner

Hello!

How did you disable intel drivers on linux?

nomodeset in kernel parametets or just in xorg.conf ?

0 Kudos
PSobc2
Beginner

Hi

Just change intel/modesetting drivers to fbdev in xorg.conf.

0 Kudos
ASere7
Beginner

It does not disable "real" hardware driver i915 kernel module

you should load linux kernel witn nomodeset and i915.modeset=0 options

after this linux will use framebuffer ( efi, vesa, etc ) with fbdev driver in X11

Breg,

0 Kudos
RSmit23
Beginner

Hi krooto

We'd make grateful if you could say how to do this. Is this an edit to XOrg conf or what?

Sounds like two steps here:

1. Load with nomodeset

2. Set i915.modeset = 0 somewhere

and fbdev driver will be loaded.

How is performance of fbdev driver? Is it good enough for IDEs like Eclipse or Visual Studio Code or Web browsing?

0 Kudos
PSobc2
Beginner

Yes, and it will be great if you can provide us such information.

And one more promise, if someone has fbdev driver loaded fine without i915 and modeset, could you try to connect secondary monitor and check if set up 2 monitors is possible on those drivers? I badly need it in my work

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
ASere7
Beginner

It depends on linux distribution.

Suppose GRUB as most popular kernel loader.

Edit /etc/default/grub

Append nomodeset i915.modeset=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT string

then rebuild grub config:

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

reboot

0 Kudos
PSobc2
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your support, i disabled i915. After it intel and fbdrivers was not possible to load, vesa driver has been loaded.

But dual monitor is not possible to set there and performence is pretty low.

0 Kudos
RSmit23
Beginner

kracjar20

1. What Linux distro?

2. What do you mean "fb drivers not possible to load"? Are there error messages or logs?

3. Have you given thought to trying a USB external video card? It will bypass all Intel drivers and graphics. Something like https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DisplayPort-External-Monitor-Graphics/dp/B00OPI0XS2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1524875241&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+external+graphics https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DisplayPort-External-Monitor-Graphics/dp/B00OPI0XS2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1524875241&sr… .

0 Kudos
ASere7
Beginner

UPD: If linux uses UEFI framebuffer driver ( e.g. on Macbook )

embedded Intel UEFI driver cause me eyestrain too (

I will try to setup old intelfb driver on macbook

Now i dont know how to do this.

If i disable efifb it hangs on linux boot

If i try to manually load intelfb it makes no framebuffer device

0 Kudos
RSmit23
Beginner

Has anyone been able to disable temporal dithering for Intel drivers on Ubuntu Linux? I think for nvidia you can do something like this:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Dither" "off"

0 Kudos
ASere7
Beginner

There is a patch for i915 for disabling dithering.

For me it does not make any difference.

I think we need high speed camera with microscope to explore difference in LVDS output.

0 Kudos
RSmit23
Beginner

Sure, an e-ink display might be able to determine flickering. For example, you can see Intel's horrible dithering here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-I3hqQgCQ dithering - YouTube

I'd like to see Intel take this seriously and get an actual engineer who knows these details on these forums. It's kind of disgraceful how little they care.

0 Kudos
RSmit23
Beginner

Also for Linux there seems to be many drivers: modesetting, fbdev, vesa, etc, what are the differences between them?

0 Kudos
PSobc2
Beginner

Hello

I will put some summary of my observations:

1. On windows, just disabling intel hd drivers in device manager is helping for 100%. Strain is almost gone.

2. On linux, changing drivers to fbdev in xorg.conf, is helping aswell (on modesetting and intel drivers i have strain).

Unfortunately, i don't know how to set 2 monitors on windows basic display adapter/linux fbdev drivers. I badly need 2 monitors to work.

Another workaround for me is working on intel drivers and disconnecting AC Power from laptop. It is removing strain almost for 100% aswell.

I know, That those observations are strange, but I've spent a lot of time on tests and i can confirm it. We have also on this thread many other users which put here their very accurate observations.

In my opinion it is enough for intel dev team to finally (after few years), find solution of this problem. Unfortunately I am not sure if anybody is working on this problem for real, we don't have any feedbacks from Intel for a long time.

Good luck and I wish for everyone solution of this huge enormous issue.

0 Kudos
RSmit23
Beginner

kracjar20

1. For completeness, do you get eyestrain with modesetting with no AC power in laptop? You say you get eyestrain with AC power.

2. fbdev should support multiple monitors. Have you tried Google "fbdev multiple monitors"?

3. Have you tried USB external graphics card? You can use fbdev driver on laptop and connect external monitor with USB graphics card.

Good luck. I agree Intel is not taking this serious. I suggest we try to find Intel graphics engineers on LinkedIn or Intel driver Git Commits and email them ourselves. I guarantee there are some engineers who will have suspicions as to what is causing our eyestrain.

0 Kudos
PSobc2
Beginner

Hello

1. Witohut AC Power i do not have strain on Windows Intel newest driver, and Linux newer drivers aswell.. With AC Power i do.

2. Yes, tried to google it, but tried to set it without effect. Maybe i can't do it, but xrandr is not even detecting one of my screens, or second, just unknown display always, so i don't know how to do it.

3. Interesting solution, but i do not think i would have such possibility in my work. Did you try it?

Regards.

0 Kudos
AYesh
Beginner

Hello, everyone

I.am struggling for already some time running through different options why my eye strain might be happening, and for now only explanation I can find is Intel integrated graphics.

I started to have a huge problems with eyes when I first bought macbook 15 from 2016. I couldn't understand the problem and returned it. Then I tried macbook 13 2017 same problem. Later I had ThinkPad t480s same problem but less prominent. Now I bought the Microsoft book 2, same problem..

All of them have Intel integrated gpu in common.. And it's making my eyes hurt for days If I use it for a day..

I don't have any other problems (for example it's fine too look at the mobile phone for hours) I also tried to disable Intel HD graphics in surface book 2, screen looks better but performance is unusable.

I don't know what to do with my surface book.. I can't return it and even if I can.. Is there any laptop on the market that doesn't use Intel integrated gpu? I cant find.. Maybe new snapdragon powered device? But maybe it's not an option as I need more power, and potentially Linux distro for development .

Are there any suggestions for me? I really feel very sad because of this.. It seems I can't work normally anymore . It's just unpleasant and painful.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos