Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

how to increase my dedicated video memory

ydodg
Beginner

I don't know how to increase my dedicated video memory

my spec :

System Model: HP 250 G6 Notebook PC

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 05.12.09F.36 (type: BIOS)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

Graphic Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

You don't need to change this parameter. The video memory is handled by Window and Intel Graphics Adapter. Read here for more information. Read also the Release Notes for Dedicated memory Reporting.

Leon

0 Kudos
ydodg
Beginner

thx Leon , but I tried this method in the link you provided HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\GMM, create a REG_DWORD value named "DedicatedSegmentSize". but it still 128mb

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

You missing the point. The 128MB of Dedicated Memory is fictitious value, used only for compatibility issues with certain application. Changing/increasing this value will not have any effect on system graphics performance. So, don't mess with this.

Leon

0 Kudos
ydodg
Beginner

yes but there is lots of games require more dedicated video memory

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's complete and utter baloney. No modern game requires a change in order to run. It is true that there are some very old games that refuse to run without an increase, but this is because of short-sighted, buggy code in the games and it is the responsibility of the game developers to deliver fixes for these bugs. There are people that assert that the memory management scheme that Intel is using in these drivers causes them to slow down games, but this too is baloney. The allocation and deallocation of memory does not happen often enough for this to have any material impact on the performance of the game.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, it appears that the latest intel HD Graphics driver releases are not honoring this registry parameter. Intel Customer Support is supposed to be sorting out why this is occurring and letting us know how to (now) do this.

...S

0 Kudos