Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

i5-7400; intel HD 630; refresh rate only available up to 30 Hz

DLee41
Beginner

Hello-

I have a i5-7400 with an integrated graphics card intel HD 630.

My desktop is connected to a Samsung 65 inch 4K TV and I am trying to get the refresh rate for 60 Hz. However, I don't see that option in my Intel graphics settings. I used the Intel updating tool on the website and it is showing that no update is available for the chipset or the graphics. Does this mean that I have the latest available Intel software on my computer? If not, where can I download/update it from? If I do have the latest software already installed, why can I not get a refresh rate of 60 Hz? The GOP version on my Intel Graphics Control Panel is 9.0.1040. Please help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello bcsd486,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Communities Support.

I am glad to assist you, remember that HDMI 1.4 support 4k at 30Hz (4096x2304@24Hz)

Have you tested that configuration with Display Port (4096x2304@60Hz)?

Also you can try installing the latest graphics version 4944:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27484/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?product=98909

If the issue persist please press windows + R then write ''dxdiag'', then click on '' Save All Information '' please upload the file report.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos
DLee41
Beginner

Thanks, Stephen.

I updated my graphics driver with the one that was provided by HP and the result is the same.

When I open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and look at drop down list for the available refresh rates, the maximum is 30p Hz. i.e., I can't choose 60 Hz because it is not listed in the drop down menu.

Please advise on how this can be resolved.

Also, when I try to install the driver that you provided in that link, it says that the driver has not been validated for my computer and therefore I cannot install it.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bcsd486,

Thank you for your response,

I was checking your TV aspects. It seems to support maximum resolution at 3840 x 2160, the TV is the one that limit the resolution.

This is the official information from Samsung* website:

http://www.samsung.com/in/tvs/uhd-mu6470/UA65MU6470ULXL/

According to the file provided seems like you have a branded HP* system, remember that there could be certain limitations such as electrical changes or hardware and Software restrictions by the computer manufacturer.

Since you are not able to install the driver most likely the computer manufacturer limit drivers only provided by them.

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos
DLee41
Beginner

Thanks, Stephen.

1. Limitation on 60 Hz. I don't think the resolution of my TV is the issue here -- my TV is a 8000 series not the 6000 series which you quoted in your response and yes I see that the resolution supports 3840x2160 but I don't think the resolution of the TV is what is causing the issue. As I noted earlier, there is no option to choose a refresh rate of 60 Hz in the drop down menu within the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. This is regardless of whether I am choosing a resolution of 3840x2160 or 4096x2304.

(and I can actually choose 4096x2304 with my TV, so the resolution is okay). The question is why can't I choose a refresh rate of 60 Hz under any of those resolutions. I am pretty sure I saw somewhere on the Intel community on how to fix this, but I can't seem to find that post anymore. This issue is not a question that is rarely asked. It gets asked quite often I think.

2. Intel Driver. Yes, I am aware that the computer manufacturers may make certain changes to the drivers. So, what I did was I downloaded the graphics driver provided by HP, and the same issue persists i.e., during the installation process I am getting an error saying that the driver has not been validated for my PC.

If you could please provide solutions to the above.

Thanks,

Denny

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bcsd486,

Please provide us the Intel® Graphics Drivers report.

You can check how to do it here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos
DLee41
Beginner

Hi Stephen,

Please see attached for the graphics driver report. Thanks.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bcsd486,

Thank you for the report,

Base on the report the information that the graphics controller is getting from the TV is a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 (24p Hz).

I was not able to find a TV datasheet from Samsung with 8000 Series TV.

My best recommendation is to contact Samsung since they may be able to provide you a firmware update or the maximum resolution supported by your TV.

According to that report the maximum resolution is limited by the TV.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos
DLee41
Beginner

Thanks. Your help is much appreciated. I don't think your response actually answers any of my questions.

I keep on have to asking the same question over and over again:

WHY IS THE INTEL GRAPHICS SETTING NOT ALLOWING ME TO SELECT A REFRESH RATE OF 60 HZ FOR ANY RESOLUTION? It is not limited to just 4096x2160. I can see that you're saying that my TV is currently showing 24p Hz even if I choose 30p Hz in the Intel Graphics Setting -- Is my understanding correct? If so, then that means that the Intel graphics setting allows me to at least choose 30p Hz regardless of the limitations of the TV. So, my question is, why is it not even showing the option for the user to choose 60 Hz when it allows 30 Hz even if, according to your response, the TV does not show 30 Hz? This question is not limited to 4096x2160. It is the same for all lower resolutions.

Please let me know if you need more clarification what I am asking. It seems like you keep on directing the issue to the TV, but that is not what this is about. Looking at other posts on google, there is a way to upgrade or change something so that the 60 Hz refresh rate shows up on the drop down list. It should at least show up on the drop down list of the Intel graphics setting even if it is not applicable (as you said, if my TV is showing it at 24p Hz, then 30p Hz should also not be showing up on the dropdown list, but it does show up. So the drop down list doesn't seem to be limited/tailored to each monitor/TV).

My question is: how can I get the "60 Hz" to show up on the intel graphics setting? I wish I could find the posts (some were also from Intel community) that I referred to previously, but I can't find them.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bcsd486,

Please contact our chat support so we can complete a remote session for you.

Here is the contact information:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @1

Select Intel® Graphics tab.

You can contact us back Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Regards,

Stephen C.
0 Kudos