Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

ig75icd64.dll using 100% of one core when using Qt software with OpenGL.

wkoen
Beginner

On my notebook I have issues with Qt based software.

The notebook use Nvidia Optimus technology and is powered by:

• GeForce GTX 965M
  • i7-4720HQ with HD4600
  • Windows 7 64bits

When choosing "intel HD" as rendering board for one Qt application (for exemple Oracle VirtualBox) I have one thread using 100% of one of the 8 virtual cores.

The offending thread is looping on DrvValidateVersion. It seems it is throwing an exception, catched, retry, never ending...

When forçing the application / system to render through Nvidia board I have no issue.

BUT Oracle VirtualBox force use of Intelrender path, probably for virtualisation needs.

I manage to go around by patching the offending DLL. I now have DrvValidateVersion "nop-ing" and returning "true". No more issue.

Intel driver is : 10.18.14.4578

Nvidia driver is : 21.21.13.7633 (2016, unable to install last release "blue screen"...)

Windows 7, 64 bits, last updates

If someone has any better idea, solution...

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello wkoen, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. Have you tried installing a newer graphics driver version provided by your system manufacturer? Do you experience a similar issue with other Qt applications? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
wkoen
Beginner

I have the latest available for the intel chipset. I cannot upgrade the Nvidia ones from nvidia upgrade software because of BSOD ... I have not tried the one availbale on windows update. Last try with result = BSOD took me half a working day to restore to a working release...no time 😞

All Qt sotware concern, even a "hello world" in QML.

For VirtualBox, because of other issues with my dirty patched DLL I had to rollback to the official one but I find that disabling 2D and 3D hardware support in VirtualBox manager give me a "small CPU usage" VM.

I have not the issue on "Intel IGP only" computer. My guess is that it could be linked to Nvidia/Intel auto switching technology because I guess the Nvidia driver stack insert some kind of filter in you driver stack to detect and switch when required.

Kind of problem tricky to deal with and to solve because many tiers involved.

If some log, advanced diag is possible / needed you can ask me everything except " please delete everything and start from a new install". Neither command line nor registry editing are a problem for me, it's my everyday life 😉

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello wkoen, Thank you for your response. We will review this information and get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello wkoen, Please provide the following information: Template for submitting a Graphics bug https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490AGdSAM/important-template-for-submitting-a-graphics-bug Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello wkoen, We would like to gather the information requested above. Please let us know if the issue persists. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
wkoen
Beginner

Hi,

I was not notified for previous post. Not a job for now, I will provide the report during the day.

0 Kudos
wkoen
Beginner

Here it is.

Note that I discover during completion of the bug report that the issue has disapeared without any change except than Windows Updates... In fact the DrvValidateVersion is still called "in loop", is still throwing an exception (see attached PNG on next post) but is no more taking one full core.

I do not understand. Could it be linked to Spectre mitigation patch or something like this. I don't know.

0 Kudos
wkoen
Beginner

screen capture of offending thread stack trace

0 Kudos
wkoen
Beginner

DxDiag report, showing only Intel HD.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello wkoen, Thank you for your response. We will review the information attached to the thread and come back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello wkoen, We were reviewing the information provided on this thread. This issue is most likely caused by the hybrid technology embedded on your system. As you mentioned before, this issue does not occur when you use a system with onboard graphics only. For testing purposes, you can try using only the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' for Intel HD Graphics 4600. This should help you determine if the problem is linked to the driver code somehow. Also, since the hybrid technology on your system is owned by Nvidia, we recommend reporting this issue to your system manufacturer so that they can replicate it if possible. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos