Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

igfxCUIService1.0.0.0 chrashes during shutdown on PC

melgoth
Beginner

I'm using a Nvidia graphics card since years. In the past, I used the Intel Graphics to help finding solutions for PCIe graphics card issues. So I have both driver installed. This system have worked for years and I haven't changed anything on the graphic system. Since months my PC crashes most of the time during shutdown (and only during shutdown). On the file system I found several igfxCUIService ​dmp files. To update the Intel Graphics driver wasn't successfully. The updates deny the installation and claim the PC does not meet the minimum requirements, even the Intel Driver Support Assistant recommends it. Is it possibly to analyse the dump files to find a solution? Why I can't install driver updates?

System: Windows 7 64bit prof. 

CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
melgoth
Beginner

I tried it already to install manually. It didn't worked. This is, was I meant, when I said the updates deny the installation. To install it with the device manager I need a display adapter entry and the only one I have is the NVIDIA GeForce entry.  

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of your device/motherboard?

Doc

0 Kudos
melgoth
Beginner

HWInfo.jpg​ASRock Z97 Extreme6

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Does your board's bios allow for both the nvidia and intel graphics to be active at the same time?

Have you updated your bios recently?

Doc

0 Kudos
melgoth
Beginner

​The bios offers both graphics, but I think not at the same time. I used the Intel graphic just in case of errors. The bios wasn't updated since years.   

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

That is probably your problem. What does W7 do with intel graphics which are disabled (in the bios), but has a driver installed for when trying to shutdown? Hard to say.

"Not meeting minimum requirements" is because there is no Intel graphics (if they are disabled in the bios), so it makes sense that the driver installation would complain.

I would update the bios anyway, and check with the motherboard manufacturer for settings.

If you want Intel graphics installed, remove the nvidia card, boot the machine, and install the Intel graphics. Then, insert the Nvidia card, boot, and run on the nvidia graphics. Who knows, after that the shutdown might then work without crashing.

Doc

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ABran16

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to know if you were able to try the steps recommended by the Al.Hill in the previous post.

Does the issue persist? If it does, and considering that only the discrete video card NVIDIA® is activated, we would like to recommend the following steps since the issue seems to be related when the operating system is referring to the service "igfxCUIService" but not hardware is enabled (available) to this service.

1- Shutdown the system, remove the NVIDIA® video card from the system and turn it on.

2- Uninstall the Intel® driver from Device Manager until you get to Microsoft® Basic Display Adapter or VGA compatible:

2.1- Open the Device Manager using the steps provided for your operating system:

• Windows 7*: Click Start Run, type: devmgmt.msc

2.2- Expand the Display Adapters section.

2.3- Find the Intel Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).

2.4- Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.

2.5- Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.

2.6- The system must go through a restart to complete the uninstall process.

2.7- If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in device manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', "VGA compatible" or similar. If not, repeat steps 2.1 through 2.6.

3- Shutdown the system, add the NVIDIA® video card to the system and test the behavior. Please let us know the outcome of the steps.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
melgoth
Beginner

Hello Andrew!

Thanks for your answer.

OK. The solution is to uninstall the driver. My hope was to keep it, since I have been installing it for many years and had no problems with it until a few months ago. Maybe a Windows update has changed the stable system, but if there is no other option, of course I do.

For the recommended steps, you must first remove the NVIDIA card. I suspect that this is necessary to enable the Intel graphics in Device Manager, as you can see in the screenshot, there is currently no entry.

DeviceManager.jpg

In the Uninstall Control Panel, I see an Intel video driver.

UninstallPanel.jpg

So my question: Is this another option to successfully uninstall without removing the NVIDIA card or could there be problems in this way?

Best Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ABran16,

Thank you for your response,

Uninstalling from Device Manager allows checking if more than one driver is kept on the driver store.

However, if you see the option to uninstall it from Control Panel >> Programs and Features, you may try first to uninstall from there and monitor the system behavior.

If the issue persists, or the uninstalling process is not successful, we recommend following the previous steps by removing the NVIDIA® card, this way we can go through the process until only seeing the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', "VGA compatible" or similar under Display Adapters sections.

Please let us know the outcome of the steps.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
melgoth
Beginner

Hello Andrew!

I uninstalled the Intel Graphics Driver from the Control Panel. In the log window I could see that an igfxservice.exe but not an igfxCUIService.exe was deleted. During shutdown for the necessary restart my system crashes. 😞

So I do not know if it was quite successful

After the restart the entry in the Control Panel View was removed.

Intel Driver & Support Assistant shows still 2 updates available.

IntelDriverAssistant.jpg

And the entry for the igfxCUIService.exe (which I changed to manual) is still there.

IntelGraphicsControlPanelService.jpg

IntelGraphicsControlPanelService_2.jpg

So maybe it's time for the HW change, but I need more time to do this, please be patient.

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ABran16,

Thank you for your response and the screenshots attached.

You mentioned you would change the Hardware, do you mean you will be testing by removing the NVIDIA® video card as previously suggested or do you mean you will test different components (motherboard? processor?).

Also, just to confirm since Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) is identifying two different graphics models on the system, did you changed the processor on this system?

Is the Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor a new processor you installed? If so, did you perform a clean install of the operating system or clean install of the driver prior to upgrading the processor?

I will be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ABran16,

I would like to know if you were able to perform the steps recommended and if there was any difference in the outcome or behavior.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ABran16,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
melgoth
Beginner
Hello! I haven’t done the change until now, because currently I’m very busy and I couldn’t risk to lose my working PC. I need more time to do it. I think this should be possible. Regards ABran16
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ABran16,

Thank you for your response.

We understand you have not had the time to test. Once you have any updates, please let us know.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ABran16,

We understand you have not had the time to test the last step suggested. Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this inquiry. Once you are able to test it and if you have any update to share or need further assistance, please kindly post a new question and provide the URL or this thread as a reference.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos