Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

intel IRIS Xe with MST problem

ATsai15
Beginner

laptop:ASUS ZenBook 14 UX425EA, CPU: intel i7 1165G7, to connect a synaptics VMM5200 MST hub (It's a DP1.4 to dual HDMI2.0b MST hub IC)

driver V27.20.100.8439 can works normally at dual 4K@60Hz .

driver V27.20.100.8853 one of the monitor can only output 4K@50Hz  and unstable. 

driver V.V27.20.100.8890 is not normal.

I found the unstable driver cannot deal DSC correctly.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ATsai15,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.      By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

With your current configuration please follow the steps in the following article in order to gather the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers

We will be waiting for your response to further investigate this for you.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

I upload the scan files. Normal and abnormal situation.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ATsai15,

Thank you for your response and the information attached.

I would like to clarify the behavior with driver 27.20.100.8890. When you state that his driver is “not normal” what do you mean? Is it the same behavior as driver 27.20.100.8853?

As you may know when talking about laptops, it’s worth mentioning that Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers. 

Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.  

I would recommend the installation of the drivers provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers.  According to ASUS* the recommended driver for your device is version: 27.20.100.8439

This is because system manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design.  So I would strongly recommend the installation and use of the drivers provided by your manufacturer.

Esteban D.

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

yes, 27.20.100.8890 is the same behaver as 27.20.100.8853.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ATsai15,

Were you able to test the driver recommended?

Please consider that the driver 27.20.100.8439 is the one provided by your laptop manufacturer.

I would strongly recommend the installation of that driver and check for any improvement.

Please let me know how it goes.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

Yes, I understood what you said. I knew V.8439 can work normal.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ATsai15,

Thank you so much for your response and the clarification.

As the configuration is working fine with the drivers provided by the OEM, I would think that this could be due to customizations from the OEM. In this situation ASUS*

However, I would like to further investigate this for you as this occurs with more than one Intel driver.

For testing purposes, I would recommend the installation of the latest graphics driver which is version 27.20.100.8935.

I would appreciate if you could install it and let me know if you notice any improvement in the performance.

You can find the steps to perform the installation of the graphics driver here.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

I tried V.27.20.100.8935. It's still not normal. one of the monitors still can only output 4K@50Hz.

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner

BTW, these drivers can work noraml with Razer Ice-Lake laptop for dual 4K@60Hz monitors.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ATsai15,

Thank you so much for the update.

As previously stated, please allow me to investigate this behavior for you.

To do so, I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

With your current setup, please follow the steps provided in the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers article.

We will be waiting for your response with the report attached.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
ATsai15
Beginner
0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ATsai15,

Thank you for the information attached.

I will review these reports and provide an update as soon as possible.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello ATsai15,

Thank you for your patience.

I would like to provide an update in this thread.

Based on the behavior of your computer after the troubleshooting steps performed we need to consider that this issue could be related to the customizations performed by the laptop manufacturer and that the use of the customized driver is required to reach peak performance.

This is due to the following facts:

• The same generic drivers in question are confirmed to allow 4K@60hz on other computers
  • Your computer is able to do 4K@60hz with the latest OEM customized driver.

As an additional troubleshooting step, I would recommend the use of your laptop to the 4k display using a straight connection, using no hubs, adapters or converters.

That being said, I would strongly recommend the use of the drivers provided by your computer manufacturer. In case you have some questions regarding the customizations performed to the driver please contact your laptop manufacturer for further assistance.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos