Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

intel hd graphics 520 flickers from HDMI output

FPort5
Beginner

I'm a teacher who connects to many different classroom projectors. Sometimes I connect via HDMI directly to the projector and sometimes I connect via an HDMI to VGA converter from Insignia. Either way the projector constantly flickers and disconnects only to come back a few seconds later, flicker and repeat.

I have a Toshiba Radius 4K two in one with an Intel HD Graphics 520.

I thought I saw that the max refresh rate was 59 on this, but the Intel Graphics won't allow me to go to lower than 60 Hz. I've tried all combinations of resolutions. Some flicker a bit less.

HELP!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, fportelos

I understand you are facing some issues connecting your computer to some projectors and the display flickers. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this is causing you. Allow me to help you with this issue you are facing.

In this case, I would like you to perform a manual update if the graphics drivers. In order to do so, please download the latest graphics drivers using the following link: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip

Then, for you to install the drivers please follow the instructions given in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY

I can see that the computer you have is manufactured by Toshiba. Please be aware that the driver I am sharing with you is a generic driver from Intel® and some features of it might not be available for your machine, we always recommend verifying if there is any update with the manufacturer of the computer. Nevertheless, we can try to perform this troubleshooting step.

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, fportelos.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached in the last email I sent you and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
FPort5
Beginner

Unfortunately, it did not help. I see the Intel Graphics Control Panel looks different, but otherwise, same issue of flickering and off.

I checked my new driver version after I performed what you indicated above, and it is 23.20.16.4901 from December 18, 2017.

See the snapshot of fuzzy distortion prior to it going out and returning to just do the same. A cycle of quick image, distortion, and blank.

I tried both with VGA to HDMI adapter as well as straight HDMI. Also please tell me what my resolution and refresh rate setti8ngs should be. I thought it had to be under 60 Hz. See attached.

0 Kudos
FPort5
Beginner

I looked at the specs for the projector and it says Native refresh rate is 60 Hz. The specs for Intel HD says 59 Hz. Is this the problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, fportelos.

I really apologize that the troubleshooting steps I attached did not work for you.

I can see from the image you attached that the refresh rate on the Intel® interface shows 60Hz. Even if the refresh rate would be 59Hz that should not be a problem.

As I mentioned, the driver I attached on the last post was a generic driver from Intel®. In this case, we can try to install the drivers provided directly from Toshiba*. Please download the drivers by clicking http://files.ecp.toshiba.com/2016/08/18/2028/36/tcg0042000a.exe here.

In order to complete the installation please uninstall the current drivers, restart your computer and then, install the drivers I attached.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
FPort5
Beginner

OK, We got very, very close to those Toshiba drivers working. They were dated June 2017 I think.

However, it only worked when I went with HDMI to VGA adapter. (The projector in one class was VGA only.)

No freezing, flickering or anything. It was great.

Then I went to an HDMI only projector and that is when my troubles began. I restarted the computer and the adapter reverted to some 2015 version. See attached. I tried reinstalling the Toshiba, but every time I restarted it reverts back to something that is not working. 2016, 2015.

What can I do? Also, I uninstall, restart and the driver automatically installs itself.

Also, what settings do I enter for scaling etc here in this one?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, fportelos.

I really apologize this issue persists.

We can try another way to solve this problem that you are having with the Device Manager.

1. Go to Device Manager and double-click on Display Adapters.

2. Right-click on the Intel® HD Graphics input.

3. Click Uninstall and reboot the system.

4. Please repeat the steps above until the Display adapters dropdown shows "Microsoft® Basic Display Adapter" when this happens please install the Toshiba* drivers I attached before.

In addition, the settings attached on the last image are fine.

Let me know the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
FPort5
Beginner

When I reboot after uninstall, it briefly says Microsoft and then auto updates itself before I can double click the Toshiba Intel driver. Even when I do, it reverts to a 2015 version.

I get this:

Do I install the driver and reboot again?

0 Kudos
FPort5
Beginner

I have it down to staying at driver 21.20.16.4727.

Still flickering.... This is horrible and negatively affects my students' learning.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, fportelos.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I would like to have a screenshot of the Intel® HD Graphics 520 controller from the Device Manager. Can you double-click the controller and attach an image of it?

In addition, please try once again the troubleshooting steps attached without an internet connection. It seems that Microsoft® is installing automatically the drivers.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, fportelos.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached and if you will be able to provide me with the screenshots requested in the post above.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
FPort5
Beginner

I tried you recent method. I put the Toshiba in airplane mode and uninstalled several times with "Delete driver files" checked. I stopped once I finally got to just the basic Microsoft Display card.

Then I installed the file you originally sent me. tcg0042000a.exe

I restarted again, all the while I had internet access off.

Once it came back online, the updated driver it showed me was this:

It did seem like it worked a little better. Is the above picture what I should have? 2015 seems a bit old.

0 Kudos
FPort5
Beginner

Then, after I took off airplane mode and wrote this message, my screen flickered and it seems it auto updated itself with this now:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, fportelos.

Thank you very much for the information provided.

These drivers I provided from Toshiba* are the optimal for your system since they are provided directly by the manufacturer of your laptop. At this point, I will highly recommend you to get in touch with https://support.toshiba.com/ Toshiba* Support in order to verify if this is a hardware issue or if there is any other troubleshooting step you can perform.

Antony S.
0 Kudos