Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

serious banding issues but only on some screens.

ATibe
Beginner

Hi,

I've got some serious color-reproduction issues with a Dell Precision 5510 (with an nVidia M1000M GPU; all physical outputs are managed by the Intel GPU so no, it can't be deactivated, not even for testing purposes).

The problem is clearly visible in the two bottom monitors (C and A) in the attachment showing the corner of 4 adjacent screens. The four screens are all same model: Dell UP2516D. Here's how they are connected:

precision 5510<--->thunderbolt<--->Dell TB16

/---miniDP---->A Dell UP2516D--->B Dell UP2516D

TB16--+---DP--->C Dell UP2516D

\---USB 3--->USB CableMaster HDMI-->D Dell UP2516D

monitors on the photo:

D | B

--+--

C | A

the issue appears even after clean install of the OS.

_DSC7149.jpg

additional info:

intel diag.PNG

Beside that it looks like the driver insists on modifying some colors (notably on the grays, especially the dark/gray ones) even after disabling every image enhancement option available in the driver.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
28 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

that driver 25.20.100.6373 supports latest windows RS4 and RS5 . but you are suing windows 10 2015 version , i would recommend you upgrade the windows 10 to v1803 or to v1809 ,good luck .

I am using Intel HD graphics 620 with DCH driver 25.20.100.6471 on windows 10 enterprise 64bit v1903 build no 17134.472

0 Kudos
ATibe
Beginner

Hi Raju, thanks for your suggestion but:

1) it doesn't explain how that would be related to my problem

2) This is a corporate image so I can't change the OS version

3) I have a second partition/install with latest windows 10 version and it's affected by the same problem

In which way the information of which GPU/SW you are using are supposed to help solving the problem?

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, Thank you for contacting our Intel® communities. In this case, we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers such as Dell*, might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you check first with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided by them, especially on hybrid systems (Intel® HD graphics + Nvidia). I strongly recommend you in order to isolate the issue to uninstall the current graphic drivers that your system has, until the basic Microsoft*display driver is exposed (please make sure that you will do it with no internet access) After that, for troubleshooting purposes please install the latest Dell* Graphic Drivers found here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-m5510-workstation/drivers In order to do it, please go ahead and perform this update steps: Unzip the file to a designated location or folder. Open Device Manager: For Windows 10: Right-click Windows Start icon Click yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control. Expand the Display adapters section. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. Click Browse my computer for driver software. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Click Have Disk. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located. Click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed. Restart your computer. I hope this helps. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
ATibe
Beginner

Hi Diego and thanks for the directions. I did as instructed (below snapshot of the driver taken from Dell.com) but that didn't help.Capture.PNG

My guess is that the problem is somehow laid to displayport management/topology as only the first monitors (directly connected to the docking) are showing the issue.

Looking forward to other instructions to narrow down the causes.

Regards,

Ale

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, Thank you for your patience. Based on the description of your issue, we would like you to change the current order of the cables on your setup in order to isolate whether you are experiencing hardware or software issues. For example, instead of mini DP from monitor A to B Dell, yo could use another cable. After switching the order of the cables, please let us know if you the monitors C and A behave the same. Please consider that we recommend always to use the same type of cables when it comes about Daisy chains, in order to avoid bandwidth issues and distorted images. I really hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance. Please don’t hesitate on contacting us back. I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, We just wanted to check if you still need help I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
ATibe
Beginner

Sorry, I was traveling and couldn't do the test.

I can tell you for sure that this is not cable related because if I replace the precision/TB16 with another system (keeping same cables) the problem doesn't show up.

Thanks,

Alessandro

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, Thank you for your response. Can you provide us with more information about the troubleshooting that you performed? Is there a chance for you to test test each monitor with each cable (one by one) to try isolate the issue? I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
ATibe
Beginner

Hi Diego, sorry for the late feedback but I just realized that the answer I sent feb 6th by email hasn't been processed. Here is it's content:

Sure, just tell which tests you would like me to run: one monitor at a time connected through which ports?

I have 1 DP+1 mDP on each monitor and 1 DP+1 mDP on the TB16 docking station (the laptop itself has only HDMI)

thx!

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, Thank you for your response. Have you tried to update firmware and driver for the docking station? Here is the Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16) Firmware Update Utility: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7tj1h Here, yo will find the Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16 Driver Installation Guide https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln304347/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-driver-installation-guide?lang=en Also, have you updated the firmware and drivers for the monitors? Here is the latest firmware for the Dell UP2516D and UP2716D : https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300986/updating-the-firmware-for-the-dell-up2516d-and-up2716d?lang=en Driver Details > Dell UP2516D 25" Monitor: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/rc1409416/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=4kf9k We noticed that based on the the monitor details, it has DP in and DP out to setup daisy chaining (see page 12). You will need to add the 1st monitor to the docking station DP port, then connect the 2nd monitor to the 1st monitor using a DP to DP display cable, then the 3rd and the 4th in the same manner. You can check Dell UltraSharp UP2516D/UP2716D User’s Guide here: https://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_display/dell-up2516d-monitor_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf Another recommendation is to use Dell* Display Manager (a Windows* application) to setup some pre-select display options (starting from page 5) Download for Dell Display Manager Application: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/rc1409416/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=yr19y in case that you need it, here is the Dell UltraSharp UP2516D/UP2716D Dell Display Manager User’s Guide https://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_display/dell-up2516d-monitor_User%27s%20Guide2_en-us.pdf Lastly based on the Dock specifications, it only supports up to three FHD displays or two 4K displays, so this may limit the monitor's capabilities. Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16) Information and Specifications https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln301105/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-information-and-specifications?lang=en If the above doesn't work, your may need to reach out to Dell for support options here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04 I hope this helps Diego Sanchez Campos. Intel (R)Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
ATibe
Beginner

Hi Diego,

"You will need to add the 1st monitor to the docking station DP port, then connect the 2nd monitor to the 1st monitor using a DP to DP display cable, then the 3rd and the 4th in the same manner."

not possible as per my previous messages; your Intel chipset only supports 3 monitors as I suppose you already know. That said, that is the configuration I already used as documented by previous emails. And that doesn't match with your previous request "Is there a chance for you to test test each monitor with each cable (one by one) to try isolate the issue?"; How do you want me to test them one by one while connecting all 4 of them?

All drivers and firmwares are updated.

"Lastly based on the Dock specifications, it only supports up to three FHD displays or two 4K displays, so this may limit the monitor's capabilities. " not relevant for two reasons:

1) from the link you posted: "Note: Precision 7510 / 7710 / 7520 / 7720 systems with discrete graphics and the Switchable Graphics option disabled in the BIOS can support more than 3 displays." the limitation comes from the Intel chipset managing the outputs in other models (having GPUs available as co-processors but not managing video output) like mine, not from the TB16 docking itself or TB3 specs.

2) problem shows with also only 2 cascaded displays.

Until know, all that you've done is asking for additional information and copy-pasting common-sense links. I would expect for someone with more technical expertise to make me run diagnostic/debugging tools to capture data from the integrated HPU and understand how and why it is acting so. Considering all the tests I've run, I can see only two possible causes here: Thunderbolt 3 (Intel technology) our Intel's GPU (HW/drivers) and I've seen a long list of assumptions but no proof proving something different.

I expect a some effort on your side too if I will have to be convinced and satisfied with the final outcome. I am trying to fix an issue but it seems to you're not getting your opportunity to make your products better denying without proof that they may have a problem.

Regards,

Alessandro

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, I was checking your case and I would like to know if you still need help? Please do not hesitate in replying to this email. You can also contact us through our phone support line 916-377-7000 Monday thru Friday 8 – 5 PST or you can provide us a call back number and the best time within our support hours so we can contact you and provide you with the assistance needed by phone. Best regards, Diego S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, We just wanted to double check if still need assistance? I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello ATibe, Thank you for your response. In this case our best recommendation is to contact Dell* for support since they will be able to tell you what your systems can and cannot do (Dell* PC, Dell Monitors & Dell Dock Station). However, if you can provide us the following, we will try our best effort to see if we can provide recommendations, but we cannot guarantee that the issue will be fixed: Latest Intel® System Support Utility for Windows: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Template for submitting a Graphics bug: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490AGdSAM/important-template-for-submitting-a-graphics-bug?language=en_US Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html?_ga=2.167917729.1495237983.1553793252-1236679467.1540406824 DxDiag Report : In Windows, select Start and enter dxdiag into the search box on the taskbar. Select dxdiag from the results. In the tool, select Save All Information for an easily shared format. Also please submit all your details here: 1. Issue description: [Clear description of the problem] 2. Steps to replicate the issue (step by step): 1. 2. 3. Expected Result: [description of what is supposed to happen when performing above steps] Actual Result: [description of what is the actual result. It can match the issue description] 3. Report driver(s) versions tested, noting fail vs. pass: Example: [15.40.28.4501] = fails (i.e. issue occurs) [15.40.24.4331] = pass (i.e. issue not occurs) 4. Additional Hardware details from system: Cable types tested(Include model numbers): Adapters used (include type and model): Display mode [single, extended, clone]: I really hope to hear from you soon. Regards, Diego Sanchez Campos. Intel (R)Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Alessandro, We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance. Please don’t hesitate on contacting us back. I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
ATibe
Beginner

Hi Diego, attached you will find all the requested info including photos. top left monitor is connected through display link.

bottom left is standalone connected through UP2516D mDP<-->mDP TB16

bottom right monitor is connected through UP2516 mDP<-->DP TB16

top right monitor is connected through bottom right DP out<---->DP UP2516D

all cables have been replaced and I exclude cables issues because when connected to the same cables to another system the issue is not present (using same cables).

Let me know if you need further information. Do know that I'm suppoes to replace my system between may 8th/15th.

Regards

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Alessandro, Let us take a look at your files and investigate further to see if we can provide any recommendation. Keep in mind that best recommendation at this point is to contact Dell* for support since they will be able to tell you what your systems can and cannot do (Dell* PC, Dell Monitors & Dell Dock Station). I hope to hear from you soon. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos
ATibe
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Can you please develop what you mean by " best recommendation at this point is to contact Dell* for support since they will be able to tell you what your systems can and cannot do"?

Are you assuming that Dell's hardware (Workstation class machine+high-end docking+native 10 bpc panel) may not be able to manage images without banding because of a faulty implementation of your chips?

Thanks,

Alessandro

0 Kudos
Diego_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Alessandro, Thank you for your response. In this case we refer you to Dell* for support since they will be able to tell you what are your system limitations. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or add limitations to the hardware and even software packaging. To avoid potential incompatibilities, we recommend that you check first with your computer manufacturer. We are checking your files, and we will reach you as soon as we have an answer. I hope this helps. Diego S. Intel (R) Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation
0 Kudos