Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

tearing when playing a video

MMeet
Beginner

I have three PCs with an Intel GPU driving a display (HDMI to TV/Projector for 2, 1 is a laptop)

They ALL exhibit screen tearing when playing back HD video, in multiple software packages. VLC, BeyondTV, Windows Media Player, HDHomerun. The source is an MPEG2 Transport Stream. (Broadcast TV).

The projector is hooked to a G4500/HD530, the TV is hooked to a NUC with an i3-5010U/HD5500 and the laptop is an i3-3217U/HD4000.

The following drivers are in use: 21.20.16.4860, 20.19.15.4835, and 10.18.10.4885

All are running Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1, with all updates current.

The tearing I'm describing is the same on all the displays. It looks like in the top 1/4 of the screen there is one frame, and the bottom 3/4 is another frame. It's most obvious when there is panning on the video. The position of the horizontal tear varies slightly but it seems like it's always in the top 1/4 of the screen.

Reading the forums it seems there are lots of people with the same issue. Is there something that can be configured to keep this from happening?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Fast351,

Thank you for contacting us.

I was reading your thread and I noticed that you are having issues when you are playing HD videos through your devices (Broadcast TV).My apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

I understand that you are using different pieces of software (VLC, BeyondTV, etc) through 3 different devices:

-G4500/HD530

- i3-5010U/HD5500

-i3-3217U/HD4000.

Can you please provide us with the 3 specific model numbers for those machines?

As well I can see that you mentioned that another piece of hardware is HDMI to TV/Projector cable.

Can you share with us the model as well?

Once that we have all the information we will go ahead and try to replicate the issue and perform further research.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
MMeet
Beginner

G4500/HD530 - This is an MSI motherboard, MSI H110M-A PRO M2. This is the computer tied to the projector, a BenQ HT3050, through a Select Active Series High Speed HDMI Cable with RedMere Technology, 30ft (from monoprice). I run both BeyondTV and VLC, and occasionally Windows Media Player, to play mpeg2 transport streams. With Aero desktop turned on, the tearing goes away. With it turned off (unfortunately BeyondTV isn't compatible with Aero), the tearing returns. Turning off the application control for VSYNC helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem. The HDMI cable doesn't seem to be the issue, since a Bluray player hooked to this cable works fine, as did the old motherboard that started to have issues that this MSI board replaced.

i3-5010U/HD5500 - This is a NUC5i3RYK, with a 1.5ft HDMI cable through a Marantz NR1504 to a Sony 46EX500. Not sure of the HDMI cable brand. Use the same applications as on the above PC to play back MPEG2 transport streams. Again, Aero solves the problem in VLC, but doesn't work with BeyondTV as it's not compliant.

i3-3217U/HD4000 - This is a Dell Latitude 3330. I only use HDHomerun as a playback application on this machine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fast351,

Thank you so much for the information provided though the thread.

I am looking forward to replicate the issue with the system components provided by you.

This may cause a brief delay between 24 to 48 hours to reply the thread, as soon as I have any resolution or answer I will reach though this method.

I really appreciate your patience

Thank you for reply.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Fast351,

I was taking a look to your thread and I want to know if you need further assistance regarding your ticket?

Please don't hesitate on replying so we can help as much as we can.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos