Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

weired view when playing "Stray" using dx12 or dxvk

TCK
Novice

Hello, 

I had some problems on my acer predator A770. 

1. The power consumption of A770 shows wrong number. It shows about 55 watt even though the A770 is used 99 percent. It worked fine in the original version of driver. And getting wrong after the driver update. 

2. When I play stray on steam, it works fine in dx11. If I use the command -dx12, the view looks like having lots of green fog. If I run the game with vulkan, it will have lots of black mark flashing in some area (as the pipes in video).

I checked out some testing videos in YT, none of them show the same problems as mine.  Is it caused by software setting or the problem of hardware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Andres_Intel

Hello TCK,

After our investigation, we tried to replicate the issue and these are the results:

1. The green fog observed when running Stray on Dx12 is a game issue. We tested it on different graphics card models and it looks the same on all of them, thus it is not a graphics driver issue.
  2. As for the Vulkan issue, the game is DX exclusive at the moment and the driver developer team won't debug on Vulkan until the game developer explicitly supports it. We recommend switching API in-game.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Andres_Intel

Hello TCK,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities.  

Please answer the following questions:

• What is the game version?
  • Download, run, save and attach the report for the following tool:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

For installation steps check the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
TCK
Novice

Hi, Andres

Thanks for your response. I am sorry that I didn't provide sufficient information.

1. The game "stray" is latest version, which is "Stray Patch 3". 

2. The SSU is in the attachment.

More information about how I run this game:

• How do I run the game with DX12

1.  find the properties of stray in steam app

2.  In launch options put: -dx12

3. run the game

• How do I run the game with vulkan

1. download DXVK from https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v2.0

2. copy the file: dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll to \steamapps\common\Stray\Hk_project\Binaries\Win64

3. In launch options put: -dxvk

4.  run the game

I have tried reinstalling the game. Try it in different versions of driver.

Or using different versions of DXVK. For example: version 1.3.2, 1.10.3 and 2.0.

The problems persists.

Thanks,

TCK

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello TCK, 

Thank you for your response. 

Please follow the steps below:

• Make you sure you have BIOS up to date
  • I understand that you have already tested different drivers versions, but perform a clean installation of the graphics driver following the article below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Download driver 31.0.101.3959:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/intel-arc-graphics-windows-dch-driver.html

If the previous driver does not work, try downloading the Beta driver 31.0.101.3975:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/729157/intel-arc-graphics-windows-dch-driver-beta.html

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
TCK
Novice

Hi, Andres

I have tried the solution you provided. 

Good news is:

The wrong number of power consumption is fixed after I upgraded the bios. 

By the way, the MB is MSI pro B660M-A wifi ddr4. The problem solved  in Bios version 7D43v19.

Bad news is:

I have tried two versions of driver you provided. The game "Stray" still had the same problems running on dx12 and dxvk. 

Thanks,

TCK

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello TCK,

Thank you for your response. 

Happy to hear that the wrong number of power consumption issue is fixed.

To provide you with accurate information related to the Stray game issue, I will need more time to investigate.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello TCK,

After our investigation, we tried to replicate the issue and these are the results:

1. The green fog observed when running Stray on Dx12 is a game issue. We tested it on different graphics card models and it looks the same on all of them, thus it is not a graphics driver issue.
  2. As for the Vulkan issue, the game is DX exclusive at the moment and the driver developer team won't debug on Vulkan until the game developer explicitly supports it. We recommend switching API in-game.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Andres_Intel

Hello TCK,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
TCK
Novice

Hi, Andres

Thank you for your response. I took some time to do further test with my A770.

For previous problem of Stray game, it looks like the game issue. Maybe, it's the problem of the game developer.  If it is not my hardware problem , I can play this game with dx11. I will still pay attention when I play different games using my A770.

To make sure everything is fine with the A770, I did some tests and found other issues.

1. I did the 3DMark test. Everthing looks fine, except the PCI Express feature test. The bandwidth is only 13 GB/s (showing in attached file). The issue happened in driver version 31.0.101.4032, too. The version of PCI Express feature test is 1.0.

2. The idle power-draw is always about 32 W. I have tried enable the ASPM and set it to L1 mode. Set the PCI-Express "Link state power-management" to "Maximum." The idle power-draw didn't change. Is that normal?

Thanks,

TCK

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello TCK,

Thank you for your response and all the information related to the behavior of the graphics card with your tests.

Based on the motherboard manufacturer manual on MSI website, they recommend for a single PCIe x16 expansion card installation with optimum performance, using the PCI_E1 slot.

You can find that information on page 15 on the link below:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/PROB660M-AWIFIDDR4_PROB660M-ADDR4100x150.pdf

Let us know in case you are having that issue using that PCIe slot.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
TCK
Novice

Hi, Andres

The A770 in my PC is installed on the PCI_E1 slot. I have double checked with GPU-Z and 3DMark that the card is using the PCIe x16 4.0 interface (the result of PCI Express feature test shows the interface is PCIe x16 4.0). Also, the resizable bar is enabled.

Thanks,

TCK

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello TCK, 

Thank you for your answer.  

We appreciate for letting us know what PCIe slot you are using, and how you verified that.

To provide you with accurate information I will investigate the two issues that you found to check if it is normal behavior or not.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel

Hello TCK,

To be able to answer the two last questions we recommend creating a new thread.

As the two main questions of this thread have been answered and we recommend switching to a compatible API in-game, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
TCK
Novice

Hi, Andres

I will create a new thread for the new questions.

Thanks,

TCK

0 Kudos