Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1669 Discussions

BSOD running ARC A370 latest driver

hasanakay
Beginner

I just had another crash while using Photoshop (which did not use GPU.  My system specs and the crash analysis is attached.   Summary is below. Any idea what's causing this.

SYMBOL_NAME:  igdkmdnd64+428037
MODULE_NAME: igdkmdnd64IMAGE_NAME:  igdkmdnd64.sys
IMAGE_VERSION:  31.0.101.4953
STACK_COMMAND:  .cxr 0xffffdb0c1b55a500 ; kb
BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET:  428037
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  AV_igdkmdnd64!unknown_function
OS_VERSION:  10.0.19041.1
BUILDLAB_STR:  vb_release
OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64
OSNAME:  Windows 10
FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {f72986a3-e8f9-3600-9d7c-dd8a40f557df}
Followup:     MachineOwner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

We will be glad to investigate and further look into this issue once all the required troubleshooting has been completed. Using DDU is highly advisable as it would take care of possible corrupted drivers and leftover files that can actually cause problems, we understand if you do not want to use it, in that case, the next steps would be to use the driver recommended by your system manufacturer which is version 31.0.101.3959 and I would also advise reinstalling Photoshop on your system.

As for the BIOS based on the SSU file you shared, you are using version KMCN09WW which is a one-year-old version, as per Lenovo's website the latest version is KMCN19WW from 11/25/2023. Both the BIOS and the driver they recommend using on your system can be downloaded from the website we shared in our previous post:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-slim-7-pro-16iah7/downloads/driver-list

If you are experiencing issues trying to locate the files or if you want to confirm whether they are compatible with your system, please contact the system manufacturer.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

Thank you for posting on the  Intel® ARC™ GraphicsCommunities.

Based on the log files that you are sharing the BSODs point to the igdkmdnd64 module, so this can be related to the driver or GPU. Is this only happening when using Photoshop?

I would recommend first getting your BIOS updated to ensure the best compatibility with the Arc GPU since you are using an older version based on the SSU file you shared, you can get it from your manufacturer's website.

Also, I would recommend uninstalling your current driver using Display Driver Uninstaller, once uninstalled update to our latest version 31.0.101.4972.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

I just had another BSOD again, This time using Photoshop version 25.1.  The crash dump analysis is attached.  It's always the same module causing the crash.  

igdkmdnd64.sys

Arch Driver A370 version:

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

I see that crashes are still happening after testing the latest driver 4972. I would like to confirm whether you installed the driver using DDU as previously advised and if the BIOS has been updated to the latest version. Please let us know.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

There is no update to the BIOS from Lenovo.  I am not comfortable running a Third Party App like DDU.  There should not be a need for this if the Driver Update cleans up the previous version properly.   The offending module "igdkmdnd64.sys" should be investigated by Intel to root cause the problem.   This should be enough information to root cause the problem:

SYMBOL_NAME: igdkmdnd64+428037

MODULE_NAME: igdkmdnd64

IMAGE_NAME: igdkmdnd64.sys

IMAGE_VERSION: 31.0.101.4972

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 0xffff800af8347500 ; kb

BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 428037

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: AV_igdkmdnd64!unknown_function

OS_VERSION: 10.0.19041.1

BUILDLAB_STR: vb_release

OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64

OSNAME: Windows 10

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {f72986a3-e8f9-3600-9d7c-dd8a40f557df}

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

We will be glad to investigate and further look into this issue once all the required troubleshooting has been completed. Using DDU is highly advisable as it would take care of possible corrupted drivers and leftover files that can actually cause problems, we understand if you do not want to use it, in that case, the next steps would be to use the driver recommended by your system manufacturer which is version 31.0.101.3959 and I would also advise reinstalling Photoshop on your system.

As for the BIOS based on the SSU file you shared, you are using version KMCN09WW which is a one-year-old version, as per Lenovo's website the latest version is KMCN19WW from 11/25/2023. Both the BIOS and the driver they recommend using on your system can be downloaded from the website we shared in our previous post:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-slim-7-pro-16iah7/downloads/driver-list

If you are experiencing issues trying to locate the files or if you want to confirm whether they are compatible with your system, please contact the system manufacturer.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

I have updated BIOS as you have indicated.  Also I used DDU to do a clean install of Intel Driver 4953.  So far I did not see any BSOD but I will keep you updated if I encounter another one.  Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

Unfortunately I just another Crash with Driver 4953, after updating BIOS and doing a clean install.  The crash dump analysis and SSU output  is attached.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

Based on the new log file that you shared the driver version installed is 4123 not 4593. Following our previous recommendations, I would advise that you use the driver recommended by your system manufacturer which seems it has been updated today to version 31.0.101.4502, and check if the same crashes happen.

In addition, I would recommend that you try reinstalling Photoshop on your system in case there is a corrupted installation.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

The BSOD happened with Driver 4953.  I updated the driver before running SSU and had the Lenovo Driver installed (4123). I do not see a link to driver 4502 on the support page. ?  I will install driver version 4972 and keep an eye on any new BSOD's.   

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

Correction:  The 4123 was NOT a Lenovo driver.  It was a Intel Beta Driver  I had tried before I updated BIOS

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

I will leave the link to the driver below, you should find the file under Graphics Processing Unit, make sure is the latest version just updated 31.0.101.4502.:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-slim-7-pro-16iah7/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Graphics%20Processing%20Units%20%28GPU%29%20and%20Server-AI%20Accelerators&id=635380F4-448F-4129-AA77-265289D96F6F

Also, make sure to reinstall the software on your system as previously advised.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

Thank you for the link.  I had visited that link before.  I see that it is newly released.  I installed the drivers (v 4502) on that page successfully.  I will be keeping you up to date about any future failures.  In the meantime thank you for your vigilance about this problem. I am also attaching the latest SSU output to this.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

Driver 4502 Also crashed while using Photoshop.  PS was not using GPU ! which means this is a generic problem.  It also occurs occasionally while using regular windows like Explorer etc.  Here is the summary:

************ Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories **************
   ExtensionRepository : Implicit
   UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false
   AllowNugetExeUpdate : false
   AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : false
   AllowParallelInitializationOfLocalRepositories : true

-- Configuring repositories
      ----> Repository : LocalInstalled, Enabled: true
      ----> Repository : UserExtensions, Enabled: true

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories completed, duration 0.000 seconds

************* Waiting for Debugger Extensions Gallery to Initialize **************

>>>>>>>>>>>>> Waiting for Debugger Extensions Gallery to Initialize completed, duration 0.031 seconds
   ----> Repository : UserExtensions, Enabled: true, Packages count: 0
   ----> Repository : LocalInstalled, Enabled: true, Packages count: 36

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.25877.1004 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP]
Kernel Bitmap Dump File: Kernel address space is available, User address space may not be available.

************* Path validation summary **************
Response                         Time (ms)     Location
Deferred                                       srv*
Symbol search path is: srv*
Executable search path is: 
Windows 10 Kernel Version 19041 MP (20 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Edition build lab: 19041.1.amd64fre.vb_release.191206-1406
Kernel base = 0xfffff804`70a00000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff804`7162a6d0
Debug session time: Thu Nov 30 14:27:34.197 2023 (UTC + 3:00)
System Uptime: 1 days 2:06:16.370
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols

Loading unloaded module list
For analysis of this file, run !analyze -vnt!KeBugCheckEx:
fffff804`70dfd730 48894c2408      mov     qword ptr [rsp+8],rcx ss:0018:ffffa085`b2f61d20=000000000000007e
15: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (7e)
This is a very common BugCheck.  Usually the exception address pinpoints
the driver/function that caused the problem.  Always note this address
as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffffffc0000005, The exception code that was not handled
Arg2: fffff804a5085ff5, The address that the exception occurred at
Arg3: ffffa085b2f62d18, Exception Record Address
Arg4: ffffa085b2f62550, Context Record Address

Debugging Details:
------------------

Page 879881 not present in the dump file. Type ".hh dbgerr004" for details

KEY_VALUES_STRING: 1

Key  : AV.Fault
    Value: Read

Key  : Analysis.CPU.mSec
    Value: 1593

Key  : Analysis.Elapsed.mSec
    Value: 1730

Key  : Analysis.IO.Other.Mb
    Value: 0

Key  : Analysis.IO.Read.Mb

Key  : Analysis.IO.Write.Mb

Key  : Analysis.Init.CPU.mSec
    Value: 186

Key  : Analysis.Init.Elapsed.mSec
    Value: 2553

Key  : Analysis.Memory.CommitPeak.Mb
    Value: 118

Key  : Bugcheck.Code.KiBugCheckData
    Value: 0x7e

Key  : Bugcheck.Code.LegacyAPI
    Value: 0x7e

Key  : Failure.Bucket
    Value: AV_igdkmdnd64!unknown_function

Key  : Failure.Hash
    Value: {f72986a3-e8f9-3600-9d7c-dd8a40f557df}

Key  : Hypervisor.Enlightenments.Value

Key  : Hypervisor.Enlightenments.ValueHex

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.AnyHypervisorPresent

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.ApicEnlightened

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.ApicVirtualizationAvailable
    Value: 1

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.AsyncMemoryHint

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.CoreSchedulerRequested

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.CpuManager

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.DeprecateAutoEoi

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.DynamicCpuDisabled

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.Epf

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.ExtendedProcessorMasks

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.HardwareMbecAvailable
    Value: 1

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.MaxBankNumber

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.MemoryZeroingControl

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.NoExtendedRangeFlush

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.NoNonArchCoreSharing

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.Phase0InitDone

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.PowerSchedulerQos

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.RootScheduler

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.SynicAvailable

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.UseQpcBias

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.Value
    Value: 16908288

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.ValueHex
    Value: 1020000

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.VpAssistPage

Key  : Hypervisor.Flags.VsmAvailable

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.AccessStats

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.CrashdumpEnlightened

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.CreateVirtualProcessor

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.DisableHyperthreading

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.HostTimelineSync

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.HypervisorDebuggingEnabled

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.IsHyperV

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.LivedumpEnlightened

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.MapDeviceInterrupt

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.MceEnlightened

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.Nested

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.StartLogicalProcessor

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.Value

Key  : Hypervisor.RootFlags.ValueHex

Key  : SecureKernel.HalpHvciEnabled

Key  : WER.OS.Branch
    Value: vb_release

Key  : WER.OS.Version
    Value: 10.0.19041.1

BUGCHECK_CODE:  7e

BUGCHECK_P1: ffffffffc0000005

BUGCHECK_P2: fffff804a5085ff5

BUGCHECK_P3: ffffa085b2f62d18

BUGCHECK_P4: ffffa085b2f62550

FILE_IN_CAB:  MEMORY.DMP

EXCEPTION_RECORD:  ffffa085b2f62d18 -- (.exr 0xffffa085b2f62d18)ExceptionAddress: fffff804a5085ff5 (igdkmdnd64+0x0000000000405ff5)
   ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
  ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
   Parameter[0]: 0000000000000000
   Parameter[1]: ffffffffffffffff
Attempt to read from address ffffffffffffffff

SYMBOL_NAME: igdkmdnd64+405ff5 MODULE_NAME:
igdkmdnd64 IMAGE_NAME: igdkmdnd64.sys IMAGE_VERSION: 31.0.101.4502 STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 0xffffa085b2f62550 ; kb BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 405ff5 FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: AV_igdkmdnd64!unknown_function OS_VERSION: 10.0.19041.1 BUILDLAB_STR: vb_release OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64 OSNAME: Windows 10 FAILURE_ID_HASH: {f72986a3-e8f9-3600-9d7c-dd8a40f557df} Followup: MachineOwner ---------

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

In this case, since the system has 2 different GPUs: Integrated( Xe Graphics) and dedicated(A380), I would like to check if one of them is causing the problem, so please let's try disabling one of the GPUs at a time and use the system only with one so we can determine if one of them is causing the crashes, you can do the following;

• Go to Device Manager
  • Go to Display Adapter
  • Got to Intel® Xe Graphics
  • Right-click on ntel® Xe Graphics
  • Click on Disable

Test the system with the integrated GPU disabled and if the same crashes happen, you can reenable it, and do the same steps to disable the dedicated GPU to test the system with the integrated GPU only.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

Thanks for suggestions.  Incidentally I had already thought about this.  I disabled Arc A370 GPU first and been using IrisXe GPU to see if it helps.  I have used Photoshop few times already and Have NOT encountered any crash yet.  It might be too early to conclude yet but will keep an eye on this.  If IrisXe does not show any BSOD, then we can assume the culprit is Arc A370 GPU.   I also wanted to mention I am using an external Monitor thru HDMI port.  Does this make a difference as to which GPU is used in either case? I do not know the exact architecture of the MB such as if ARC is driving the HDMI port and the Integrated IrisXe is driving the built-in display?

Again Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

I searched throughout Lenovo's documentation but could not find anything regarding what GPU handles the HDMI port, the motherboard is a Lenovo proprietary design so that is information we do not have so I would advise you to check with your manufacturer in case you want to know the GOU that manages the HDMI port on your laptop.

Let's continue to test with Xe graphics and if there are no crashes disable Xe graphics and test with Arc only, let us know the results.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

I wanted to check if you had the chance to continue testing each GPU individually, let us know your findings and how the system behaves with each of the GPUs.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

Yes I kept using IrisXe GPU without any problems in Photoshop for more than a week. However when I try using Arc A370 GPU the Usual BSOD returned right away. So it points that the problem is definitely with the Arc A370 GPU. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello hasanakay

So based on the tests it would seem the issue comes from the Arc GPU itself and Xe graphic seemed to be unrelated. Please let's update to our latest driver 31.0.101.5074 and check if the same BSOD still happens, if so, please share with the minidump files you can find at C:\Windows\Minidump so we can analyze all the details about the BSODs.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
hasanakay
Beginner

Hello Hugo,

I have installed driver 5074, rebooted but the Arc A370 GPU has disappeared from Device Manager under display devices ? Was this intentional or am I missing something? Attaching SSU output.

0 Kudos