Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1599 Discussions

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - OpenGL not working on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04)

guccismith
Novice

Linux native Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - OpenGL not starting on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04).

Driver installed following these guidelines: https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/installation-guides/ubuntu/ubuntu-jammy-arc.html

../src/intel/isl/isl.c:2244: FINISHME: ../src/intel/isl/isl.c:isl_surf_supports_ccs: CCS for 3D textures is disabled, but a workaround is available.

"csgo_linux64" is not responding.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities.  

I am sorry to hear that having gaming issues with your Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card, please answer the flowing questions to have a better understanding of the situation:

• Take a video of the issue.
  • What is the graphics card model?
  • Does the issue happen with other games?
  • Please download, run, save and attach the report for the following tools:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

• Take a video of the issue -> please find attachment <CS_GO_OpenGL_Linux_native_hangs_on_startup.zip>
  • What is the graphics card model? -> Intel Arc A770 LE 16GB
  • Does the issue happen with other games? -> Yes all OpenGL titles I have tried have issues
    • Doom 2016 (works with Vulkan but crashes with OpenGL)
    • Doom3 / Doom3 BFG edition via Steam Play does not start at all
    • Quake2 does not start with OpenGL renderer
    • Unreal Gold (possibly tries with DXVK first) but does not start
  • Please download, run, save and attach the report for the following tools -> please find attachment <ssu_ubuntu_2204.txt>

All of these titles worked just fine with my previous graphics adapter.

Best regards,

Linus

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for your response. It was really helpful.

Please answer the following questions to continue with the troubleshooting:

• What is the make and model of the previous graphics card?
  • If the motherboard supports Resizable Bar, is it enabled?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Andres,

• What is the make and model of the previous graphics card?
    • EVGA GTX 1060 6GB (Nvidia)
  • If the motherboard supports Resizable Bar, is it enabled?
    • Yes the mainboard MSI Mortar B350M does support Resizable Bar with the latest BIOS update
      • I have tried with both Resizable Bar - enabled|disabled - but no difference in terms of game compatibility what I have observed thus far

Is there a need for a bleeding edge Linux kernel version? Like Linux 6.2? Some claim they have had better luck with the latest release candidate, but that feels a bit extreme to get it running no?

I have followed this installation instructions for getting the Intel Arc drivers running on Ubuntu 22.04: 

https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/installation-guides/ubuntu/ubuntu-jammy-arc.html

Best regards,

Linus

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II
FWIW I can run CSGO fine at like 450fps (1080p) on my Arc A770 LE on Manjaro w/6.1 and 6.2 kernels and Mesa 22.3.
guccismith
Novice

Ok I downgraded to Mesa 22.3.4 (running Ubuntu 22.04 with 6.2-rc7 kernel). Not much of a difference for me really. CS:GO still hangs during startup (possibly I get a tiny bit further since I now can se the CS:GO logo before crashing).

Should I get rid of the previously installed DKMS modules and firmware as well? (as provided by Intel dGPU instructions) -->

https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/installation-guides/ubuntu/ubuntu-jammy-arc.html

Cheers,

Linus

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

After uninstalling the proprietary DKMS modules CS:GO finally works!! I'll be damned

$ uname -r
6.2.0-060200rc7-generic

$ glxinfo -B
name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device: Mesa Intel(R) Arc(tm) A770 Graphics (DG2) (0x56a0)
Version: 22.3.4
Accelerated: yes
Video memory: 16288MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 4.6
Max compat profile version: 4.6
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) Arc(tm) A770 Graphics (DG2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.3.4 - kisak-mesa PPA
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 22.3.4 - kisak-mesa PPA
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 22.3.4 - kisak-mesa PPA
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for all the information provided, it has been really helpful.

I will investigate this issue to answer all your questions and provide you with accurate information.

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Another interesting finding on this topic (OpenGL using ARC graphics adapter on Linux) is the following:

[launching the open source "Quetoo" implementation of Quake2]:

Video initialization...
MESA: warning: Driver does not support the 0x56a0 PCI ID.
libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: iris
Trying 1384x752..
Setting up OpenGL context..
R_InitContext: Failed to set swap interval 0: That operation is not supported
Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.1.0, 256 bits)
Vendor: Mesa/X.org
Version: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.1.8 (git-127871cd1e)
Video initialized 1384x752 (1384x752) windowed
Client game initialization...

Does not look very promising if the MESA drivers does not accept the ARC adapter?

0 Kudos
adamjason
Beginner

Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue of OpenGL not working in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on Ubuntu 22.04:

1. Update the Graphics Drivers: Make sure that you have the latest graphics drivers installed on your system. Updating the drivers can often resolve compatibility issues with OpenGL.

2. Disable Steam Play: Some users have reported that disabling Steam Play on Linux helped resolve the issue of OpenGL not working. To disable Steam Play, go to the Steam Library, right-click on the game, select Properties, and under the General tab, uncheck "Enable Steam Play for supported titles".

3. Verify the Integrity of Game Files: Sometimes, game files may become corrupt or missing, causing issues with the game. To verify the integrity of the game files, go to the Steam Library, right-click on the game, select Properties, then the Local Files tab, and finally click on "Verify Integrity of Game Files".

4. Reinstall the Game: If none of the above steps work, you can try reinstalling the game. Make sure to delete the game files and configuration files before reinstalling to avoid any leftover issues.

5. Upgrade to a Different Version of Ubuntu: If you're still experiencing issues with OpenGL, you can try upgrading to a different version of Ubuntu that has better support for the game and your graphics card.

These steps should help you resolve the issue of OpenGL not working in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on Ubuntu 22.04. However, if the issue persists, you may need to consult the game's forums or seek technical support from the game's developers.

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

In my case the problem was related with using the latest DKMS module (proprietary Intel drivers), which caused CS:GO (Linux native OpenGL version) to hang upon startup.

Steam Play had nothing do to with it since it will default to the native Linux version if available. In fact I even tried to force the Windows version just to see if it made any difference, but didn't manage to trick the Steam client into doing so. In such case it should have been using D3D9 instead of OpenGL.

Uninstall the Intel drivers, using open source Mesa 22.3 drivers seems to be the way to go for now.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for all the information provided it has been really helpful for the investigation.

We were able to replicate the issue and we will investigate but Linux driver updates usually take longer to be released from Intel thus I suggest staying with the proposed workaround until the next repository/kernel update.

Just to confirm, is the issue is gone when playing with vanilla mesa drivers?

@adamjason thank you for the workaround it has been helpful.

Regards,  

Andres P.

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Andres,

Correct. It works fine with the vanilla Mesa drivers. I am using Mesa 22.3.4 and recently updated to Mesa 22.3.5.

I had to uninstall the proprietary Intel drivers as described here: Ubuntu* 22.04 (jammy) — Intel® software for general purpose GPU capabilities documentation

Specifically uninstalling the DKMS modules did the trick for me.

While you are at it, please explore OpenGL game compatibility in general. One good example is Doom 2016, which runs flawlessly with  the Vulkan renderer, but is suffering timeouts (application not responding) when switching to OpenGL mode (also with vanilla Mesa drivers). Also legacy titles are suffering, like Quake 2.

Best regards,
Linus

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Thank you for the clarification. We will continue with the investigation as soon we have any update we will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

We still working on the reproduction of both issues, we already have some information about it, but we will let you know all the details once we complete it.

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

We have been working on the investigation and we have noticed that the game works with the Intel drivers when launched with the "-vulkan" command in Steam. Updates for Ubuntu graphics drivers are not as frequent thus issues can take longer to get addressed.

If you have issues with other games on Ubuntu, please submit a thread for each one, as they can have different root causes and fixes may be different.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards, 

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
guccismith
Novice

Hi Andres,

Thanks for the follow-up on this topic. I understand that it indeed works using Vulkan API instead of OpenGL. This follows the trend for much of the titles that I have been trying out on Linux (and on Windows as well), that the Vulkan API compatibility is very good.

Now the main reason for raising this thread was specifically for OpenGL compatibility, where I do believe there is room for improvement. As concluded above, it works with vanilla Mesa drivers so I guess we have a baseline to work from

Sure thing, I will continue raising threads as I encounter issues (PC gaming has been a bit on the backburner lately).

Best regards,
Linus

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello guccismith,

Since the game works on Steam, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P.  

0 Kudos