Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1844 Discussions

DXVK causing occasional random freeze/crash in NFS Heat.

a370muser
Beginner

This issue wasn't occurring before I began using DXVK, it isn't a regular crash, the game will just freeze completely, and I have to kill it using task manager. For some added context, the game's GPU usage will go to 0% although it will still be using the CPU. Also, sometimes this freeze will happen at random and at other times it is triggered by me doing something in the game, like opening the map or starting a race. Maybe half a second after I do one of these things the freeze happens. It's not a consistent issue, it only happens sometimes, and I have no way of knowing what's actually causing it. I'm currently on the 4578 driver but the issue occurs even when I up or downgrade drivers. It also happens whether I use standard DXVK or DXVK async.

Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Pro, A370M, i5 12500H, 16G of RAM.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello a370muser

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. We see that you are experiencing crashing issues when playing the Need for Speed™ Heat game using DXVK. We will be more than pleased to help you; however, we need to check some information to better assist you:

• Why are you using DXVK to run this game? Is it because you encountered other issues that the DXVK solved?
  • Does the crashing issue persist if you stop using the DXVK?
  • What is the game distribution service?
  • We want to check if your system is up to date. We want to confirm the BIOS, Operating system, and drivers versions, and look at more details about your system. Create the system reports using the following tools:
  • Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
    • To save your scan, click "Next"; and then "Save."
  • Intel® Graphics Command Center:
    • Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • Navigate to the Support tab
    • Select System Diagnostic
    • Click Generate Report
    • Select Save and name the output file.

You also mentioned that the driver .4578. It is important to mention that we have a newer driver available, v31.0.101.4669. We recommend you install this new driver for testing purposes. However, before installing the driver, we recommend you run the Display Driver Uninstaller. Check How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver for instructions. The DDU tool will eliminate all drivers and leftover files from previous driver versions.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello a370muser,

We hope you are doing fine. We want to check if you have been able to gather the information we requested before and if you updated the graphics driver to version 31.0.101.4669 after running the DDU.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
a370muser
Beginner

Why are you using DXVK to run this game? - DVXK improves performance (low GPU usage) and fixes a graphical glitch with the headlights/taillights

Does the crashing issue persist if you stop using the DXVK? - The issue wasnt happening before I began using DXVK

What is the game distribution service? - EA

The last few times the crash has happened it has been because i opened the map in the game, and for some reason, it always happens when I'm in a "party" with other players. When playing offline or online outside of a party it almost never happens.

I haven't installed the latest driver yet, but the issue persists no matter what driver I use. I upgraded to 4644 since I made my post and it's still an issue.

0 Kudos
a370muser
Beginner

attatchments

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello a370muser,

We understand that you have not updated the driver, as it doesn't matter what driver you use. However, this would help us discard that the issue is still present with the latest driver fixes. However, there is a new driver version that was just released, version 31.0.101.4672.

For testing purposes, we recommend you update to the latest BIOS version available for your system. After checking the Intel SSU report, we noticed that the BIOS version installed in your system is J5CN31WW, and the latest version available on the Lenovo Website is version J5CN32WW. If you need information about the BIOS Update process, you should consult with Lenovo for further instructions.

Since you mentioned that the issue wasn't present with before using DVXK, you should test the game without the DXVK. This would reveal that the issue is being caused by the external software. We understand that it helps you with performance and some graphical issues. We can help you solve the other issues, but this thread is regarding the thread problem, and we recommend keeping one issue per thread.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello a370muser,

We are following up with your thread to know if you have been able to test the game without using DXVK and confirm the outcome after updating the BIOS and graphics drivers.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello a370muser,

As we have not received a response from you in a few days, we will now proceed to close this thread. If you need further assistance, open a new thread, as this one will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello a370muser,

Before we conclude this case, we want to inform you that we have reported the issue regarding the incorrect rendering of the head/taillights when running the game on its native API, DirectX 11. Our driver development team is currently working on it. However, we cannot provide you with an estimated time for when the fix will be available. We will continue to investigate this matter internally, keep this thread open, and update you as soon as we have more information. We truly appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello a370muser,

We greatly appreciate your patience. I'm pleased to share that our extensive testing over the past few months indicates that the graphics driver version 31.0.101.5590 resolves the game crashing issue. We advise you to update to this driver version and inform us of the results. Please ensure to use DDU before proceeding with the update to version 31.0.101.5590.

Your feedback is valuable to us, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello a370muser,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the information I posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello a370muser, 

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Norman S.

0 Kudos