Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1914 Discussions

Dead by Daylight - Drivers after 4255 killed performance

Arsoul93
Beginner

Hi,

I've seen other posts about this but wanted to provide some more information because as far as I can tell the issue wasn't taken further after the submission. I purcahsed an Arc A770 LE (16GB) about a week ago and have had hit and miss performance with Dead by Daylight. Any driver newer than 4255 seems to have killed the Direct X 12 performance for the game and Direct X 11 has never been very playable.

Under driver 4255 using the steam launch option -dx12 to run the game using D3D12, I'm able to get a fairly consistent 100+ fps at 1440p on Ultra detail. There are some hitches here and there but the game was perfectly playable. When using any driver newer than 4255 (I have tried all of them, including the most recent beta drivers) the game fps will tank and go as low as 25fps despite starting at 100+fps. These are not just 1% lows, these are average framerates. Something that was done in between these drivers seems to have ruined the games performance and made it unplayable for a lot of people. 

This game is consistently in the top 20 played games on Steam, so if it can be fixed in a coming release that would be awesome - For now I'm just switching drivers when I play it, which is annoying but I can deal.

System Information
I have attached an SSU report and also 2 captured videos of the issue, one running under driver 4255 and one running under 4514. The videos are using Afterburner with RivaTuner for the performance overlay. To be clear, I have already performed clean installations on the drivers, updated drivers, OS, bios, etc. and resizable bar is enabled. This is a driver issue, and not specific to my hardware, as others have reported the same problem several times.

Steps to Reproduce Issue
Run the game with the steam launch option -DX12 to use D3D12

(Optional) Unlock the framerate by modifying the below lines with these values in the config file %localappdata%\DeadbyDaylight\Saved\Config\WindowsClient\GameUserSettings.ini

FrameRateLimit=120.000000
bUseVSync=False

Any game mode should show the same performance issues, the captures are just using the "Getting Started" match option against bots.

Thanks,

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Arsoul93
Beginner

The game is also still just as busted when using beta driver 4575. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Arsoul93,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We would like to let you know that we are currently working on a fix to solve the issues with (program). The driver developer team is working to implement a fix in an upcoming driver. However, we are unable to commit to an estimated time or updates regarding this matter, but rest assured that it coming soon.

We will continue investigating this issue internally. We will post back once we have further details.

Best regards, 

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Arsoul93
Beginner

Still no fix? You guys literally took a game that worked flawlessly and killed it with every subsequent driver update, how does that even happen? Sick of having to switch drivers for every game I want to play.

0 Kudos
Esteban_Intel

Hi @Arsoul93,

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused. We have now identified the root cause of this issue and we are working on developing a fix. I'll let you know as soon as a fix is available.

0 Kudos
Arsoul93
Beginner

@Esteban_Intel  still no word on even a beta driver release to fix this? Its getting seriously hard to not regret buying this.

0 Kudos
Arsoul93
Beginner

Bump.

0 Kudos
Esteban_Intel

Hi @Arsoul93,

This issue has been escalated to our driver development team under Bug ID 14019787696. However, I would like to set the right expectations with you: this will go through debugging/development phases and given the current workload and priorities it may take from 3-6 months. As soon as there is any update on Bug ID 14019787696 we will let you know.

0 Kudos
Arsoul93
Beginner

@Esteban_Intel 

The game literally worked perfectly fine in earlier drivers, how do you even regress performance that badly with driver updates and take that long to fix it? 

I'm just going to sell the GPU, you guys should consider doubling your driver development team from 1 to 2 staff members if your budget allows for it. Insane.

0 Kudos