Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1810 Discussions

Destiny 2 fails to launch on newest drivers

Icabaud
Novice

Hello,

I am unable to get Destiny 2 to run with any driver newer than 4382 (latest attempt on 4502). It displays the initial loading screen prior to the splash screen for about a second, then the whole screen goes black, followed by a Windows message about "Destiny 2 is not responding" a few seconds after that. I started with 4499 which claimed to boost the performance specifically in Destiny 2 and address the strobe\lighting glitches on Neomuna and Europa with the exact same failed result.

No issues on latest drivers playing Diablo 4, Cyberpunk 2077, WatchDogs Legion, ARK, or Elden Ring as examples.

All driver installs done Clean and if I simply revert back to 4382 Destiny 2 runs just fine on the highest settings.

Updated to latest BIOS and no change.

I have tried running in 4k 144 and 1080 with no change (both game and desktop). Including modifying the video settings within the game while running 4382 and then upgrade the drivers.

I have tried with the embedded UHD 770 graphics enabled and disabled.

Windows 11 fully up to date.

Running stock Performance settings.

System is an Intel NUC 13 Extreme i9. Intel Arc A770. 64GB DDR5 4800. M.2 SSD C (system) and D (games) drives. 2 monitors with one connected via HDMI and the other via DP which is the primary and where the game(s) launch.

Followed the pinned instructions and this was the only dump file created. Other requested documents attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KY02pY3Rlw8ni25JB7M2LVSbtNeF76Mb/view?usp=drive_link

Hopefully an easy fix. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Icabaud
Novice

Hello Hugo.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results then insanity has fixed my problem.

I reinstalled the 4514 drivers in anticipation of taking the screenshots and video as requested. I had not yet changed the Windows System->Display->Graphics option I originally had to in order for 4502\4514 to work and the game launched without issue. I performed multiple successive reboots and each time was able to launch the game fully and start to play.

Further, when I look at the Performance Overlay results running 4514 I see better metrics than under 4832 and nowhere near the 50% unplayable reduction I was originally seeing when attempting 4502\4514. 10 FPS boost on average even while Voltage and Clock would drop from their max values vs being at constant peak. Core Power would fluctuate a little bit lower than 4382. Memory used, GPU Activity and Render Activity largely unchanged. Definitely a performance improvement over 4382 in Destiny 2. I went to the Eclipse Zone on Europa and the Vex Incursion Zone on Neptune and confirmed the lighting artifacts are also gone.

As far as I could tell I followed the exact same steps as before. But obviously something was different on maybe the driver registration, OS, etc side that allowed it to finally work as expected after following the steps multiple times upgrading\downgraind. At this point I'm running on the latest drivers, working drivers and improved performance in Destiny 2, and all my other games remain perfectly intact as well so I believe we can call this case closed.

Thank you so much for your assistance,

Icabaud

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Icabaud

Thank you for posting on the Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communities. I am sorry you are experiencing crashes when trying to play Destiny 2 on your system.

At the moment, we have not seen reports of this game experiencing issues on the latest drivers, and actually, the flashing artifacts issue seems to be fixed at the moment as reported by users in this thread. Due to this, the issue might be isolated to your system specifically, so the first best steps if not yet done, will be to reinstall the latest driver 31.0.101.4502 using Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall and then reinstall while in safe mode.

If the issue persists, please completely uninstall the game from your system and reinstall it to make sure there are no conflicting files between the game and the drivers.

If the issue still continues to happen, share with us the distribution service you downloaded the game from.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Icabaud
Novice

Hello Hugo,

Thank you for your assistance. I followed the steps above, including uninstalling and reinstalling Destiny 2 from Steam, and I noticed 2 things. First it did not automatically reinstall Arc Control and second sadly the issue persisted. I decided to poke at the setup a little further and did get manage to get it working so wanted to share those additional steps\progress.

I launched Intel Graphics Command Center and the first page mentioned going into Windows Graphics Settings and setting the preferred GPU. This was not a step I've had to ever do since building this PC so previously ignored that step. By default my settings are to "Let Windows decide (High performance) which is the A770. I first tried selecting the High Performance option for Destiny 2 which lists the A770 (vs UHD 770) and I had the same problem. I next went to Specific GPU for Destiny 2 application and selected the A770 and the game launched without problems. Progress! I went to Europa right away to the Eclipse Zone and happily confirmed that the flashing artifacts are no longer present.

However, I am now getting 45-55 FPS vs the 127-144 I got on 4382 depending on amount of activity going on the screen. Video settings set to Highest and tried reducing that and switching from Borderless Windows to Fullscreen to no avail. I upgraded to the 4514 Beta drivers, which did install Arc Control, but my FPS refuses to go back to previous levels. Arc Control indicated that ReBAR is enabled and I previously never had to tweak Performance configurations inside Control.

I'll continue to try things to get back to the previous level of performance unless you have some more pointed things I could try to address this new issue.

Thank you again,

Icabaud

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Icabaud

Good to know now you are able to launch the game. In regards to the game performance, please make sure that the Arc GPU is being used when you play the game which should be the case since you set it up on the Windows settings, however, double-check it to make sure. You can use the overlay with ALT+O or ALT+I to check the GPU usage.

I would recommend reinstalling the latest driver 31.0.101.4514 using Display Driver Uninstaller. And if the issue persists, please check if the same happens with the older driver that use to work 31.0.101.4382.

If the issue continues to happen, please share with us a screenshot of your in-game graphics settings and a short video showing the issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Icabaud
Novice

Hello Hugo,

I will try those steps this evening and report back on the results.

For later comparison, I ran Destiny 2 just now and was getting FPS in the 50s when in a menu or in orbit and FPS dropped down to the mid 30s but usually hung around the mid-40s running around Cosmodrome.

Performance overlay results while in game before I start with these changes:

GPU Memory Used ~6000MB

GPU Voltage 1000mV

GPU Clock 2400 MHz

GPU Core Power 147W

GPU Activity 100%

Render Activity 100%

0 Kudos
Icabaud
Novice

Quick update.

I used DDU in safe mode to uninstall 4514 and reinstall and it made no difference in my previously posted numbers or experience. I used DDU again to roll back to 4382 and oddly was receiving the same reduced performance metrics. I undid the Windows change I had originally made to get Destiny 2 to launch using the new drivers and my performance was instantly restored to pre-upgrade attempt levels.

Here are my performance overlay results running 4382 with the Windows graphics setting put back to "Let Windows decide (High performance)". I tried to make a similar path through Cosmodrome for a representative result. FPS in orbit\menus was 144 and running around the world varied between 85-95 depending on onscreen activity. VRR was enabled during all tests.

GPU Memory Used ~4500MB

GPU Voltage 975-995mV (slight fluctuation from time to time whereas previous driver(s) held constant at 1000mV)

GPU Clock 2400 MHz

GPU Core Power 183-190W (varied slightly)

GPU Activity 100%

Redner Activity 100%

I'll work on getting the screenshot and video for you next. Do find it odd the config that lets me play with the new drivers has to be set back for the old driver to get the better performance. And none of these changes are required for me to play any of my other games.

0 Kudos
Icabaud
Novice

Hello Hugo.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results then insanity has fixed my problem.

I reinstalled the 4514 drivers in anticipation of taking the screenshots and video as requested. I had not yet changed the Windows System->Display->Graphics option I originally had to in order for 4502\4514 to work and the game launched without issue. I performed multiple successive reboots and each time was able to launch the game fully and start to play.

Further, when I look at the Performance Overlay results running 4514 I see better metrics than under 4832 and nowhere near the 50% unplayable reduction I was originally seeing when attempting 4502\4514. 10 FPS boost on average even while Voltage and Clock would drop from their max values vs being at constant peak. Core Power would fluctuate a little bit lower than 4382. Memory used, GPU Activity and Render Activity largely unchanged. Definitely a performance improvement over 4382 in Destiny 2. I went to the Eclipse Zone on Europa and the Vex Incursion Zone on Neptune and confirmed the lighting artifacts are also gone.

As far as I could tell I followed the exact same steps as before. But obviously something was different on maybe the driver registration, OS, etc side that allowed it to finally work as expected after following the steps multiple times upgrading\downgraind. At this point I'm running on the latest drivers, working drivers and improved performance in Destiny 2, and all my other games remain perfectly intact as well so I believe we can call this case closed.

Thank you so much for your assistance,

Icabaud

agent_jones
Beginner

Hey, ok im not the only one with this problem... for the last three or four (beta)drivers i cant start Destiny 2, after i start it, the screen goes black and nothing happens, sometimes i see a destiny-like backround for a second and then it goes black... i didnt try any solution which are described here to maybe fix it. i hoped the new 4514 driver does a magical thing to fix this but no... other games work fine    

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello agent_jones

Feel free to follow the recommendations provided in this thread and the last post from @Icabaud, however, in case the issue continues for you, feel free to open a new topic to help you with more personalized troubleshooting for your system.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
agent_jones
Beginner

the problem is definitely from the driver. I did a clean installation with DDU and 4514, the problem persisted, even with the windows display settings on high performance with 770... out of pure desperation I then rolled back to 4382 and lo and behold no problems except for a few graphic bugs that have never been there and slightly worse performance...

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Icabaud

That was definitely a strange behavior and a weird resolution, as you mentioned there could be something in the OS registry and driver that was causing a conflict. Good to know that the game is now working smoothly for you with even better fps than before.

Since the issue is resolved, we will be closing this thread but feel free to open a new topic if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos