Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1752 Discussions

Intel ARC: OBS cant capture vulkan games using the capture window method

dabi
Novice

Hello,

When I use OBS with window capture method I cant get to record while playing, what I mean by that is on rainbow six siege using vulkan, latest beta driver 31.0.101.4952 and OBS 29.1.3.

When I alt-tab out of the game the capture works as it should, I'm using border-less window in-game. Arc doesn't seem to support the game capture feature for me as it doesn't display anything. Tested with window capture. Bitblt and windows 10 capture seems to have the same behavior.

This is a driver issue as I have an rtx 3050 ti mobile and it works as intended with that one for all vulkan games.

Also, have a look at this on github: https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/issues/8156

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities, and reporting the problem that OBS can't capture Vulkan games using the capture window method. We are more than happy to assist you.

Based on the issue you reported, we would like to let you know that for this issue, we recommend a clean installation of the latest graphics driver (31.0.101.4953) with DDU. For guidance, How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an Intel® Graphics Driver.

In case the issue remains, we would like to request more details about your system. So we would like to ask for a system report using Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

• Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
  • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
  • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save."

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
dabi
Novice

I always use DDU for installing my graphic drivers, last time I installed drivers it wasnt working and I tried it right away after reboot (I used DDU). Here is the SSU scan.

for clarification: I have my display connected directly to my gpu via displayport, not to the igpu.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

Based on the report you shared with us, based on your system report, we noticed that you have not updated the driver, your graphics driver version remains in the 31.0.101.4952. We would like to recommend you update the 31.0.101.4953 and let us know if the issue remains with the latest updates.

We also noticed that your operating system build is version 22621. However, there is a new build available, 22631. So we recommend you install the latest updates for your operating system.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
dabi
Novice

Still doesn't work, updated to OBS 30.0.0 and new drivers (I didn't even noticed it was a different version as there is only one number that changes and its the last one).

Added some examples of what happens, every time I alt-tab out you can see it resumes the recording, but everytime I alt-tab into the game the recording freezes. Also I recorded using window capture on obs with BitBlt and Windows 10 methods (both from OBS). The encoder im using is quicksync AV1 if that helps.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

After looking at the system report, we noticed that the OS build remains the same, and you are still in version 22621. For testing purposes, it would be ideal if you could update your Windows 11 to install the new Windows 11 build 22631. Let us know if the issue remains with the latest Operating System fixes.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
dabi
Novice

Im searching for updates but it doesn't seem to find anything on windows update (also checked in optional updates and theres nothing there), so cant do unless I do a fresh install (which im not going to do as I have work to do on my computer).

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

We understand that the Windows Update feature does not prompt you with the latest build. You may need to contact Microsoft support for more recommendations about this. However, we will now proceed to investigate this matter internally. We will contact you as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi

We want to jump into your thread to inform you that we continue to look into this matter internally. Allow us some time to further research this problem. We will be posting back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

We want to inform you that we have successfully replicated the issue you have reported. However, we are still reviewing all the information we have collected to find a solution to this problem. We ask for your patience as we continue to investigate the matter, and we will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

Best regards

Jean O.

Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

Thanks for waiting for a response. After looking into this issue, we want to let you know that we were able to replicate the problem, but only once. We recommend reinstalling the OBS software to resolve the issue, as we were unable to replicate the issue after we tested this option. Additionally, we have released a new driver version, 31.0.101.5084/31.0.101.5122, which you can download from our website. Please run the DDU software and then test the new driver version.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
dabi
Novice

It doesn't seem to work for me on some OBS configs, what were the settings on your end for OBS? Was the game in fullscreen, borderless or windowed? Which capture method did you use so it didn't freeze the recording or even record at all? (I also reinstalled OBS as you told me, deleting all previous configs and updated drivers with DDU)

Right now I'm using the game on full-screen, OBS (30.0.2) with QuickSync AV1 - CBR (8000) - TU1

Game capture was impossible for me in borderless or fullscreen for vulkan (it didn't even show image), I'm not going to try with windowed as no one uses that.

Don't bother about DXGI, as it is really bad for gaming because it consumes some resources from the GPU (in a perfect world it should work, but it doesn't).

I attached some examples of using different capture methods (most of them work now), the only one which matters that doesn't work on vulkan is game capture for fullscreen/borderless. Which is the best method as it is the one which consumes less resources from the gpu or the cpu.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

We see that the issue remains after you reinstalled OBS and deleted all previous driver files with DDU. Thank you for sharing all the new details related to this problem. We'll resume our research on this matter internally, and we'll post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
dabi
Novice

Just to confirm, the options which doesn't work are on

1. Fullscreen

• Game capture
  • DXGI Desktop Duplication

2. Borderless

• Game capture

As I mentioned before, i did not try anything with windowed, as I don't actually use it.

Thank you a lot for the help.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

Thank you for all the new details you have shared. We would like to ask for more time, so we can re-test this issue internally, taking in consideration all the new details you have shared. We will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

We would like to jump into your thread to inform you that we continue to investigate this issue internally and are trying to replicate the problem by gathering all the necessary information. We want to ask for more time so we can share with you an update on this matter.

Best regards

Jean O.

Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

Thank you for waiting for a response. We have completed our research process and we want to let you know that we have not been able to replicate your issue. Our OBS capture worked fine once we opened the file with the media player and we didn't notice any input lag as seen in your first videos. This time, we would like to recommend you run the Display Driver Uninstaller and install the latest Intel Graphics driver 31.0.101.5085. Nevertheless, if the issue persists, then we would recommend you contact the app developer so they can take a deeper look into it.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
dabi
Novice

Look, this is what I get when I capture in fullscreen and with game capture:

Example 1.png

As you can see its all black.

While the game is running fullscreen the only way it works is screen capture.

This is what I get when I capture in borderless and with game capture:

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-16 145852.png

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-16 150015.png

Drivers installed after cleaning with DDU.

The original issue is not there anymore, but its a different variant as I showed on fullscreen and windowed, but with game capture, which is different from window capture or screen capture (that is an OBS setting). I think you were using window capture (OBS setting) on your recording with borderless (in-game setting), as the game doesn't become black after doing alt-tab.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

We understand that the issue occurs when capturing the game window. Let us retest this internally, and capture more details. We will be posting back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello dabi,

We wanted to let you know that we have been able to reproduce the issue with the new information you have shared. We will proceed to further look into this matter with the new information we gathered and we will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

dabi
Novice

Any update??? Its been a long while and the issue isnt fixed. Even the problems that were fixed are not working again.

0 Kudos