Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1733 Discussions

My system freezes and restarts sometimes, is it a problem with my Arc 770 video card?

genEU
Novice

Hello!

Sometimes my system freezes (black screen with a few colored pixels) and then restarts, mostly when I start a game shortly after starting the system.

From the Event Viewer I noticed this error " The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffff970f9f661010, 0xffff80541596b00, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000d). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Mini dump\112023-8609-01. dmp. Report Id: 01c592db-278c-4de9-b52f-1547e31c0ad5."

Is this a bug caused by my Arc770 16GB video card? Can someone help me identify and possibly solve the problem?

These are my system details:

Screenshot 2023-11-20 165624.png

Thank you in advance, have a nice day!

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello genEU,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We would be more than happy to help you with the system freezing issue you reported.

Based on your issue we would like to ask for more details about the problem:

• When did the issue start? Is it present since day one?
  • You mentioned that this issue is when you start a game. What are the affected games?
  • Is this issue only present when gaming? Or does it happen on other heavy workload applications?
  • Did you try differentdriver versions?
  • We want to check more details about your system. Create and share a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):
    • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
    • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
    • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save."

Finally, we would like to confirm if you see similarities between your issue and the one reported in this thread. It seems that you both are having the same problem. So we want to ask for this to better look into this matter.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@mitchelhorstone    You say "If the issue persists after trying these steps, consider seeking assistance from a professional technician or contacting the technical support for your hardware components."

Is that not why the user posted in this Intel technical community?   Have ChatGPT answer that for you.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
genEU
Novice

Hello Jean, thank you for the quick reply, I will try to give as many details as possible.

• When did the issue start? Is it present since day one?

Yes, it has been present since the first day when I assembled the system with the Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition 16GB video card approximately on November 26, 2022. I initially thought that there were problems with the drivers because they were at the beginning, but over time I installed all the driver versions that they appeared and the problem persisted.

• You mentioned that this issue is when you start a game. What are the affected games?

It's not about a specific title, most recently I encountered the problem with the games Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition and Days Gone, but in the past I also played STAR WARS Jedi Fallen Order, The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Counter-Strike Global Offensive, Grand Theft Auto V, Horizon Zero Dawn and the problem was the same.

• Is this issue only present when gaming? Or does it happen on other heavy workload applications?

So far I have only encountered it in games, I tried to overload the card with different test programs such as 3DMark, but the problem did not manifest itself.

• Did you try different driver versions?

Yes, as I mentioned before, I've had this problem since the first day I started using the video card, so I think I've gone through all the driver versions you've released, but the problem hasn't disappeared, although I could say that it manifests itself less often than at the beginning.

I have attached the requested report to this message.

• Finally, we would like to confirm if you see similarities between your issue and the one reported in this thread. It seems that you both are having the same problem. So we want to ask for this to better look into this matter.

I read that thread, the only similarity I see are those images like the one posted below, it looks like my black screen when the error occurs and the system reboots.

1699849070456.jpg

 I also watched those two videos, I have never experienced anything like this, nothing similar happens during the game, I mean those white lines and the flickering of the image, for me it simply appears that black screen with those colored pixels after which the system resets.

If you need any other information, I will gladly give it to you.

Thank you, have a great day!

0 Kudos
genEU
Novice

Sorry, just what I remembered, regarding this question "Is this issue only present when gaming? Or does it happen on other heavy workload applications?", it happened to me once or twice  when I started four instances with an android game emulator, more precisely Nox player.

I hope this is helpful, thank you!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello genEU,

Thank you for all the information you have provided. We see that the issue has been present since day one; however, we would like to recommend you perform a clean driver installation of the latest driver 31.0.101.4953. To eliminate the possibility of corrupted files from previous drivers, you should run the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Please note that previous driver files and leftovers can affect the functionality of your system, and the DDU tool will eliminate all the previous driver installation files.

We also would like to ask for more details about your issue:

• We want to ask for the specific power supply model you have installed in your system.

• We also noticed that the error message from the Event Viewer reports that a dump was saved in C:\WINDOWS\Mini dump\112023-8609-01. dmp. Report Id: 01c592db-278c-4de9-b52f-1547e31c0ad5." Could you look at this file location and provide us with the complete Dump file?

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
genEU
Novice

Hello Jean!

I did the last three updates after running DDU and uninstalling the previous driver just to try to get rid of this problem. Ok, I will try again to reinstall the latest version of the drivers.

• We want to ask for the specific power supply model you have installed in your system.

My power supply model is Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12, 80+ Titanium 1500W.

• We also noticed that the error message from the Event Viewer reports that a dump was saved in C:\WINDOWS\Mini dump\112023-8609-01. dmp. Report Id: 01c592db-278c-4de9-b52f-1547e31c0ad5." Could you look at this file location and provide us with the complete Dump file?

Sure, I uploaded the DMP file requested in this message, I put the file in an archive because it won't let me upload it directly because of this error "The attachment's 112023-8609-01.dmp content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed".

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello genEU,

We noticed that you have already tried running the DDU with the latest 3 drivers. We would like to inform you that there is a newer driver version (31.0.101.4972) available now. We suggest that you test this latest driver version and let us know if the issue still persists with it.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
genEU
Novice

Hi Jean!

Sure, I'll try this version and come back with the result.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Saveno
New Contributor I

It's sadly an issue people have been reporting for like a year already (me included). This guy even got a brand new card after returning it and it still happened so its related to hardware compatibility issues. Sadly, to this day, Intel seems to be unable to figure out what is causing it. It stopped in my case for some reason but i don't even know what fixed it in the end because i changed so much stuff. My screen still turns off for 1-2 seconds from time to time, and games also give me errors sometimes that the Arc basically died and crashed, but at least my PC does not restart on its own anymore.

If you happen to have browsers or discord open in the background when gaming, try to disable hardware acceleration in those apps. I had weird glitches and issues when i had it enabled like videos sliding across my screen from right to left but i feel like since i disabled it in browsers, discord etc. my system started being more stable. 

genEU
Novice

Hi Saveno!

Thank you for the suggestion, I usually don't leave anything open when I play but I will check and take into account what you told me.

Can you tell me which motherboard you have installed in the system and if you use X.M.P?

In my case, when I disabled X.M.P, I noticed an improvement in system stability.

0 Kudos
Saveno
New Contributor I

I have an AMD Mainboard so as you can see all sorts of different configurations can have this issue. And i dont have such an option enabled.

It can also be just some setting that is causing it but i even completely reset my Bios before and reinstalled Windows and it still happened. Intel should really take the extra step imo and ask one of the people with this issue to send in their whole PC and not just the GPU so they can figure out whats wrong since they cant seem to reproduce it on their end. 

0 Kudos
genEU
Novice

I see, I think that something doesn't load properly when the PC starts, because in my case the problem is random, it doesn't always appear.

0 Kudos
DavidSelucky
Novice

Try "turn off" the ASPM fix. I had a lot of problems with this.

genEU
Novice

Hi David!

I will try also this, thank you!

0 Kudos
flgt
Novice

@genEU  Hi, I'm curious if the ASPM fix is working for you.  I was having random freezes on my NUC13 extreme with an Event ID 41, Kernel-Power, in the Event Viewer.  Many times no dump logs.  I've tried this and it seems to have improved system stability, but it would be nice to know what is going on.  I'm tired of chasing ghosts.

0 Kudos
genEU
Novice
Hi! No, even with BIOS reset and all ASPM options off my system still collapses sometimes.
0 Kudos
genEU
Novice

Hello Jean!

I installed the latest version of drivers (31.0.101.4972) after using DDU to uninstall the previous version from SafeMode.

Today my system crashes after 23 minutes after I started the PC, and I wasn't even in an application that required too much video card, I made a 25-minute recording and cut the part where the problem occurs, I uploaded it to this message.

I also uploaded the created DMP file.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello genEU,

We see that the issue remains after you used the DDU to uninstall the previous driver version and leftovers to install the latest version of the drivers. However, you mentioned that the system stability improves; therefore, we would like to ask if the issue continues when you disable XMP.

It would be ideal to mention that based on your system report, your RAM is running at 5600 MT/s. But based on the processor specification, the maximum RAM speed supported is 4800 MT/s for DDR5 and up to 3200 MT/s for DDR4. We recommend you disable XMP since altering the processor to run at speeds over the specifications is considered overclocking the CPU. For more information, check our article "What Is Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP)?"

We also would like to thank everyone who has joined the thread to share their experience and recommendations.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
genEU
Novice

Hello!

Yes, it improved but the problem still occurs, I tried different settings in the BIOS and with XMP enabled and disabled but no change.
Ok, I'll disable any RAM overclocking settings and use the standard settings (4800 MT/s) for RAMs.

I will come back with the results.

Thank you!  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello genEU,

We see that even after disabling XMP, the issue persists. However, we suggest you restore the BIOS to its default settings to eliminate any overclocking configurations and check the system's stability.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos