Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1946 Discussions

PC Spontaneously Reboots in middle of Gameplay.

Nazrex
New Contributor I

Starting a new thread on this at the request of @Hugo_Intel 

Newly built PC, just about a week old.

Fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro on a brand new Samsung 990 Pro SSD.

Hardly any other software installed yet other then necessary drivers, and a few Steam Games.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

32 GB GSkill Flare DDR5-6000 

ASRock B650E PG Riptide Motherboard

Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240

Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition 16GB

EVGA Supernova G2 750 80+ Gold

PC spontaneously reboots in the middle of gameplay.  

Exact same issue and symptoms as described in the following discussion:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/PC-Crash-and-Reboots/m-p/1483509

I've tested with the following Drivers:

4335 (Beta)

4311 (Beta)

4257 (Beta)

4314 (whql)

4255 (whql)

4146 (whql)

4091 (whql)

The problem seems to occur LEAST frequently with Driver 4314 WHQL.

It becomes MORE frequent with BETA Drivers, 4257, 4311, and 4335.

Unfortunately, Driver 4257 is the only one I've found that successfully runs ALL my games, while Elite Dangerous, won't even load with any other Driver.

Attached is my latest Intel System Support Utility report.

0 Kudos
50 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We will be more than glad to help you with the shutdown issue.

To better assist you, please provide me with the following:

• Is there any error message before or after the system reboots?
  • Can you replicate the issue using another app besides the games you mentioned (Star Citizen and Conan Exiles)?
  • Do you recall if there is any issue reported in the Windows Event viewer when the system reboots?
  • We noticed that the system BIOS is not up to date. The BIOS version you currently have is 1.21; based on the Manufacturer's website, the latest version available is 1.24. We recommend you update the BIOS and observe if the issue persists. If you need any recommendations about the update process, you should consult with Asrock support for the proper installation steps.
  • Also, we would like to ask for an Intel® Graphics Command Center report to gather more system information:
    • Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • Navigate to the Support tab
    • Select System Diagnostic
    • Click Generate Report
    • Select Save and name the output file.

Best regards

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Hello Jean.

There are no error messages.

It can not be deliberately replicated, ands appears completely random.  Last night it happened within 5 minutes of entering Conan Exiles.   Several days ago, it happened after 10 - 15 minutes in Star Citizen.   At one point it happened while changing the in-game settings within Elite Dangerous, after having the game loaded for just a few minutes.  I do not have many other games installed yet, as I only just built this PC barely a week ago.   But I do have STEAM installed, and all my old Steam Games are on separate SSD's, so all I have to do is tell Steam where to find them.... tomorrow is my next day off from work and I plan to TRY to replicate the issue with some other games.

There are no issues reported in the Event Viewer other then "The PC unexpectedly rebooted".  I'll get a screen shot for you of the exact message when I get home from work later tonight.

As for the BIOS?   

Of course, its not up to date. 

BIOS 1.24 was only just released... just this morning! 

I updated the BIOS to 1.21 last week after I installed the motherboard, because last week... 1.21... WAS the latest BIOS.  I only just woke up and am about to leave for work, so I did not know ASROCK released an update while I was in the shower.

I'll take care of the Graphics Command Center report for you, later tonight after I get home from work!

I am also attempting to RECORD this event for you, with the ARC Control's Studio Capture feature; with the ARc Performance overlay visible on the screen.... unfortunately, I recorded 2 hours of stellar game play footage from Star Citizen last night, and absolutely nothing happened!   At which point I stopped recording, and logged onto my Conan Server, and BAM, it happened within 5 minutes! 

Go figure... JUST as I decided to stop recording.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We understand that the issue seems to be random, and it would be hard to record a video showing the issue. We appreciate your effort in taking the time to record the issue behavior.

We would like to further research this matter, and the more information we have, the better. We will wait for you to share the IGCC report and the Event viewer message stating: "The PC unexpectedly rebooted."

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Ok it just happened for me, and I got the images from my Event Viewer Log, and have them attached below.

I also got it recorded using the Intel ARC Control Studio, with the ARC Overlay on the screen.... 

HOWEVER, because the shutdown was "unexpected" ... it would appear that Arc Control Studio did not properly "save" the recording, and so the file is corrupted and won't play.   

I was going to attach that video file anyway, hoping someone on your end might be able to do something with it.. however the file size is 95.7mb and the maximum limit this forum allows, is 71mb, so it wont let me attach that file.

As for the report from Intel Graphics Command Center... 

Uhm.   It seems, I don't have this?

I have the Intel ARC Control software, that comes with the ARC Drivers....

Is IGCC something that is supposed to be included with the ARC Drivers? 

Because I can't find it on the ARC software download page.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/229151/intel-arc-a770-graphics-16gb/downloads.html

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

We understand that you tried to record a video, but since the system shutdown was unexpected, the video recording file was corrupted. Unfortunately, since the video recording got corrupted, we may not be able to recover it, but we appreciate your effort in trying to share the file with us.

About the Intel Graphics Command Center, this is a separate graphics tool that we have, and it can be downloaded using the Microsoft Store. However, if you would not like to download a separate application, we can also request you to share with us a screenshot of the Arc Control Software under Settings> System Info> Hardware. There is less system information, but it will also help us investigate this matter.

Nevertheless, we will continue researching this matter with the information we currently have. We will post back as soon as we have further details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Ok I got that IGCC Report for you... attached below.

I haven't had a reboot since Sunday, but then it just did it last night.. while I had the main menu screen loaded for Star Citizen, and left it sitting idle on that screen for about 15 minutes, and it suddenly rebooted... 

Interestingly, I spent 3 hours playing the game yesterday, and nothing happened.

Then it suddenly reboots while sitting idle on the menu screen for 15 minutes.

Oh, the IGCC report will state that I am currently running Driver 4257.

This is currently the most Stable Driver that I've found, that successfully runs ALL my current games.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Also attaching here an updated copy of my SSU report.

This one I generated just a few minutes ago, and it includes all the system logs that the previous one did not.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

After reviewing this matter, we would like to ask for the following information:

• What is the game distribution service? ( Blizzard, Epic, Origin, Steam, Xbox, Ubisoft connect)
  • Make sure that the Resizable BAR is enabled.
  • Does this issue happen on any other heavy tasks, or is it only present when playing the games you mentioned?
  • Also, we noticed that the BIOS version you currently have is not the latest. The latest version available on the ASRock website is 1.24.AS02. We recommend you update the BIOS version. If you have any questions about the update process, you should contact ASRock support for the appropriate steps.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Yes.

Distribution Service varies.

Mostly Steam.  Some games are also on EA App, Ubisoft Connect, and Epic...

I haven't had time to test them all fully, as work has been keeping me busy... I was supposed to have the Day Off today but I'm being called in... so won't be able to do any game testing today as I had hoped too.

The issue does not occur with any other heavy task that I've tried.

Resize Bar was and still is enabled.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We understand the situation. We will keep this thread open for a few days to fully test the recommendations. If you can test, let us know the outcome. In case you face any inconvenience, don't hesitate on letting us know.

There is a new driver, 31.0.101.4369, that just came out this week. When trying to install the driver, perform a clean driver installation. Doing a clean install for any hardware can help to fix specific issues that can be associated so any additional software that might be causing malfunction.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Hi Jean... 

I've been testing with Driver 31.0.101.4369 for the past few days now... 

I've spent hours and hours playing various games from Star Citizen, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Conan Exiles... Far Cry 5 & 6... Crysis Remastered, numerous others...  all with graphics settings as high as I can get them to try to push things to the utmost limits....

So far.

There have been NO reboots, and no major issues.

Granted, in the past I've had to wait a couple days for it to happen.... but I've been running this Driver for about 4 days now and it all seems smooth and no hiccups.   The only issue that I seem to still have, is the issue with Elite Dangerous.... if I want to play that game, I have to revert back to BETA Driver 31.0.101.4257 since that is the only Driver my self and others, have found that works with that game, as detailed in this discussion.

I don't know what was done with this particular Driver that "might have" fixed this reboot issue, because I do not see anything specific in the Release Notes.   BUT, I would like you to keep this current discussion open for a while longer, just in case...  I don't want to jinx anything, coming in here and claiming "its solved!" .. and then tomorrow or the next day, BAM it happens again.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We are glad to hear that you have not faced any issues besides the problem with Elite Dangerous. We will keep this thread open for a few days, so you can further test your system.

Regarding the Elite Dangerous issue, we would like to recommend you stick to the thread you share or open a personal thread describing the issue. This is to void duplication and confusion.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Well it just happened again today while playing Star Citizen.

It hadn't happened for almost a week, while playing various games... including Star Citizen.   For example, a few nights ago I was logged into Star Citizen and playing for nearly 5 hours, until I had to log out for the night... and had no issues... 

But now tonight, I was logged into Star Citizen and had only been on for about an hour.

Then suddenly it happened, and my PC just spontaneously rebooted.

As soon as it came back up, I came here to post this.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex.

We are sorry to hear that the issue occurred again. We would like to further investigate this matter, however, we would like to confirm the following information first:

Is the ReBAR option enabled in your BIOS?

Have you been able to update your BIOS to the latest version 1.24.AS02?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Yes to both.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thanks for your response.

We will resume our research on this matter. We will post back as soon as we have further details.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

I would like to know whether or not you have actually been able to replicate the issue?

To be fair to you guys, I am only presuming the ARC Video Card and/or Drivers are the issue after finding an identical issue on these very forums, posted by someone else... which I linked to in my original Post above.

However, I am starting to become more curious as to other possible causes, but before I start any other research on them... I would very much like to know whether or not this issue has at all been replicated on your end?

I am also wondering if you guys could possibly consider adding... 3 things... to the ARC Overlay and Live Telemetry in the Intel ARC Control software...

1. An FPS Counter

2. CPU Temperature

3. CPU Voltage

You have CPU Activity on the Overlay and Telemetry, but I think having CPU Temp and Voltage could be useful, and could help in tracking this particular issue.... Presuming, you have NOT yet been able to replicate it on your end?  It could help me to try to rule out whether this is GPU related, or CPU related.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We appreciate your feedback. We will send your comments to the proper department for them to be aware of your remarks and to keep improving the customer's experience while using Intel products.

After investigating this matter, none of the events screenshots are showing data that leans towards a GPU issue. Random reboots could be software or hardware. So we would suggest first testing a clean Operating System installation to rule out software.

Is there any dump file or event logged that you can be shared with us? (not the screenshot but the actual .xml or Windows file)

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos