Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1984 Discussions

PC Spontaneously Reboots in middle of Gameplay.

Nazrex
New Contributor I

Starting a new thread on this at the request of @Hugo_Intel 

Newly built PC, just about a week old.

Fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro on a brand new Samsung 990 Pro SSD.

Hardly any other software installed yet other then necessary drivers, and a few Steam Games.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

32 GB GSkill Flare DDR5-6000 

ASRock B650E PG Riptide Motherboard

Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240

Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition 16GB

EVGA Supernova G2 750 80+ Gold

PC spontaneously reboots in the middle of gameplay.  

Exact same issue and symptoms as described in the following discussion:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/PC-Crash-and-Reboots/m-p/1483509

I've tested with the following Drivers:

4335 (Beta)

4311 (Beta)

4257 (Beta)

4314 (whql)

4255 (whql)

4146 (whql)

4091 (whql)

The problem seems to occur LEAST frequently with Driver 4314 WHQL.

It becomes MORE frequent with BETA Drivers, 4257, 4311, and 4335.

Unfortunately, Driver 4257 is the only one I've found that successfully runs ALL my games, while Elite Dangerous, won't even load with any other Driver.

Attached is my latest Intel System Support Utility report.

0 Kudos
50 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex, I just received an update on this matter.

Based on the results you provided, at this point, you have the option to get in contact directly with Intel® through any of our support channels below and claim the warranty on your Intel® card.

Simultaneously, we just wanted to let you know that since the reboots happen when frequently playing Conan Exiles, then we can go ahead and replicate this issue from our side, we just need to know if there is any particular set of steps we need to follow in-game to trigger the reboot.

Once you get the chance, please let us know which option is the one that you prefer.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Just so I understand....

You CAN replicate it, or you have not, but are still trying too?

There are no specific steps; I just play the game and it suddenly reboots.   

But it doesn't do it all the time. 

Its not "frequently" ...

Sometimes it can go days without rebooting, and the game runs fine in between.

Last time it took two weeks, the game ran fine.... then two weeks later the PC just reboots in the middle of the game.

Yesterday was my day off from work and I was playing for nearly 10 hours straight, with no issues.

As for doing the warranty?

Well, I don't know if it is the GPU.

I haven't been able to prove or disprove the cause.

IF, the GPU is perfectly fine... why would I RMA it?

It could be my power supply isn't enough... or that its just getting old.

Its a 10 year old SuperFlower Leadex 750w PSU, rebranded as an EVGA Supernova.

However, I've never had problems with it before.   Except that 10 years ago when it was released new, it was advertised as supporting Intel CPU's, and now its powering a Ryzen build.   When I bought it, I was running an i5-4690K with an old nVidia GPU that was eventually replaced with a Radeon RX 580.  ...and now, its powering a Ryzen 7 7700X and this Intel ARC A770 that performs like an RTX 3070... I'll tell ya this Intel Arc A770 blows me away with some of my other games... 100+ fps in Far Cry 6 on max settings.... WOW.

BUT, if it IS the power supply thats the issue, I can't afford to buy a new one right now to test this theory... 

I'm moving to a new home on the 25th, and I'm more focused on that right now... we have a lot of packing to do, and I gotta pay for movers to come and move it all.

So maybe after we finish our Move... I can look at whether I can afford to pick up a new power supply to test with.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Thank you for your response.

We understand that you are hesitant of proceeding with the RMA process until you are certain that the graphics adapter is faulty.

To answer your question, we have not been able to replicate the problem yet. We asked you for a more detailed description of the steps to reproduce the issue. To confirm if we are missing something and try to reproduce the issue. However, we will continue to look at this internally and try to replicate the problem with the information we can face the same behavior with the card.

We will post back as soon as we have more information.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex

Thanks for waiting for a reponse.

Unfortunately, after reviewing this matter internally, we have been unable to replicate your issue. If you want, we can share with you a 19-minute video showing the gameplay experience we had. However, this must be shared via Email since the video file exceeds the maximum file size for our communities website. We can share it with the Email associated with your community profile.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

Well I can say that the reboot seems to take longer then 19 minutes.

On occasions I have gone several hours before it happens.

Other times, I have gone as long as 2 weeks, before it happens.

Usually with the older ARC Drivers it seems to happen more frequently.

But with the newer versions, it happens less frequently.

However, I just updated to BETA Driver 4575 on July 15.  

I have had 3 reboots, almost 1 daily now... since updating to that Driver... and it hasn't been that bad since I used Driver 4335.

In fact it just now happened, (with Beta Driver 4575) just by loading my Save on the game The Planet Crafter.  I hadn't even started the Game, I was just loading its last save point and  the PC Reboots.  I was shocked because until now, I've not seen it happen with any other game.

I am going back to trying Driver 4502 because so far that one seems to be the most stable and I didn't experience any reboot for almost a TWO WEEK period with that Driver.

The only question that I can't answer however... is what is it that's causing the issue?   Is it a power spike somewhere?   Is it my PSU?   Is it the GPU?  Because honestly other then this mysterious reboot issue, I have NO other GPU related issues and this GPU works beautifully.... well, except for the Elite Dangerous issue that can't seem to get resolved.

Next week, on the 25th... I am moving to a new home.

I'll be taking the PC to a local repair shop and let them tinker with it and try to figure out what's wrong with it; while I wait for my internet, power, and gas services, to all be transferred to my new address.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

Since we have been unable to replicate the problem, we would recommend starting the RMA process for your graphics card to discard the possibility that the issue is related to the graphics card hardware. If you have an Intel Arc Limited Edition, you can process the warranty through any of our support channels below and claim the warranty on your Intel® card. If you have a card from a different manufacturer, you should reach out to them to start the RMA.

We encourage you to bring the PC to a local repair shop for a second opinion and to discard that there is any problem with any other component.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Nazrex,

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

@Jean_Intel 

@Alberto_R_Intel 

I told you, three timws already.

I'm moving to a new home this week.

I have no internet yet.

Im typingthis from my phone froma fast food parking lot with wifi.

0 Kudos
Nazrex
New Contributor I

...and now my internet in my NEW HOME... is up and running.

0 Kudos