Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1848 Discussions

With fan curve and 1st two positions set to 30%, GPU fans intermittently briefly drop to 0%

davejay
Novice

The problem I am reporting appears similar to the one reported here, which was closed due to non-responsiveness from the submitter: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/0db-Fan-Mode-Sparkle-Titan-A770-and-Acer-Bifrost-A770/m-p/1542364

Using a Sparkle Arc A770 Titan with 31.0.101.5186 on Windows 11 home, first time driver installation after using DDU to clear AMD drivers from the system. Motherboard is an Asus B550i-gaming, CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 5600.

This concern is noteworthy because a GPU idling with 30% fans (via fan curve) is much cooler than a GPU idling with 0% fans (via automatic), ~26c vs ~48c on my system, but at 30% the fan noise is loud enough that every intermittent brief drop to 0% and back to 30% calls attention to that noise.

Also, note that I say "intermittent" because the timing between each brief drop is unpredictable -- generally between 20-120 seconds -- but these drops happen consistently whenever I set the fan curve leftmost positions to 30% and 30%.

Steps to reproduce:

- Have fan speed control set to "fan curve"

- Have two leftmost fan curve percentages set to "30%" (lowest possible non-0 setting, see attached image of fan curve in Arc Control)

- Let system sit idle (~2% CPU usage in task manager)

- Observe GPU fan speed via Arc Control, Afterburner, your eyes and/or your ears

Expected behavior:

- GPU temperature holds steady (at ~26c on my machine)

- GPU fans hold steady at ~30%

Observed behavior:

- GPU temperature holds steady (at ~26c on my machine)

- GPU fans hold steady at ~30% with intermittent brief drops to 0% (see attached image of fan tachometer from Afterburner)

Impact of issue:

- GPU fan noise is quite audible at 30% and inaudible at 0%

- The transitions from 30% to 0% and back to 30% are noticeable on a system at idle when muted and constant-speed case/CPU fans are running

- The audible nature of the intermittent brief drops to 0% are therefore noticeable and annoying

Not tested:

- I did not test to see if this happens when the two leftmost positions were set to 31%/31% or any other equal value

- I did not test to see if this happens when the two leftmost positions were set to similar but non-exact values like 30%/35%

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ochompskr
Novice

for what it's worth, ive been in contact with sparkle and they said they are making a FW change but it will take up to 2 months to trickle down from intel.  im returning the card as im not willing to risk the wait but a FYI for those holding on

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
ochompskr
Novice

sparkle cards are garbage but it's hard to beat the price.  

i ended up buying an gpu fan-> cpu fan adaptor on amazon and plugging it into my 4 pin fan header.  i use fancontrol to control the speeds and it's MUCH better.  no more spin ups/downs and loud noises.  

0 Kudos
ignabe
Beginner

I have the same problem with my Sparkle a310-ECO.
Has there been an update to fix this?

0 Kudos