Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

Any automated way to change AMT as the default manageability protocol from ASF

sayantan_majumdar
I have a few devices with ASF as the default manageability protocol. But those devices supports AMT. Is there any way (any tool or so) that would help me in changing the protocol to AMT. I know how to do it manually in the ME BIOS. But looking for an automated way.

I tried using activator.exe /transition, it worked if the manageability protocol is selected as None in the ME BIOS. But if ASF is selected the activator.exe is returning code 11.

Regards,
Sayantan
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
I have a few devices with ASF as the default manageability protocol. But those devices supports AMT. Is there any way (any tool or so) that would help me in changing the protocol to AMT. I know how to do it manually in the ME BIOS. But looking for an automated way.

I tried using activator.exe /transition, it worked if the manageability protocol is selected as None in the ME BIOS. But if ASF is selected the activator.exe is returning code 11.

Regards,
Sayantan

Hmm, I would have thought that would work, that's what I was going to recommend when I saw the title of your question. Let me follow-up on that behavior.
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Hmm, I would have thought that would work, that's what I was going to recommend when I saw the title of your question. Let me follow-up on that behavior.

Thanks Andrew. i'll wait for your reply :)
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

Thanks Andrew. i'll wait for your reply :)

Just to follow-up (because I'm sure I'll get asked), which activator are you using? The one from the latest SCS tech preview? Or the one that comes with the SCS 5.1.1 download? Or a different one entirely?
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Just to follow-up (because I'm sure I'll get asked), which activator are you using? The one from the latest SCS tech preview? Or the one that comes with the SCS 5.1.1 download? Or a different one entirely?

I am using the one that comes with SCS Light version 6.0 (that supports UI version too)
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

I am using the one that comes with SCS Light version 6.0 (that supports UI version too)

Hello Sayantan,
I tried the Activator in Intel SCS 6.0 tech preview 3 full version and was able to change a client from ASF to AMT management.
Please try this version and let us know if it works for you.
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Hello Sayantan,
I tried the Activator in Intel SCS 6.0 tech preview 3 full version and was able to change a client from ASF to AMT management.
Please try this version and let us know if it works for you.

Hi Lance,

I am getting the following error even in this case,

Error: Failed to connect to Intel management engine interface PTHI client.
Error: Changing to Intel AMT mode is not allowed.

Exit with code 11 (Failed to change to Intel AMT mode (check manageability setting in the BIOS)).

I got the same error when I tried with the 6.0 preview version of the SCS Light.

I tried running the EXE with /transition parameter. Let me know if I need to pass any other params. The same things works when I am enabling AMT from None as the Manageability Feature.

Please let me know if you want any other information.

Regards,
Sayantan
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Hmmm, may be something to do with the client.
Would you please provide the vendor and model of client system you are using and what AMT version and BIOSit has?
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Hmmm, may be something to do with the client.
Would you please provide the vendor and model of client system you are using and what AMT version and BIOSit has?

Please find the details of the client system below:

Vendor : Hewlett-Packard
Model : HP Compaq dc7800p Small Form Factor
BIOS Version : 786F1 v01.04
AMT Version : 3.0.1
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Please find the details of the client system below:

Vendor : Hewlett-Packard
Model : HP Compaq dc7800p Small Form Factor
BIOS Version : 786F1 v01.04
AMT Version : 3.0.1

Thank you, I will report back to you once Ifind a similar systemand conduct the same test.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

One other thing to check is that the account you are running the Activator under has Administrator privileges.
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

One other thing to check is that the account you are running the Activator under has Administrator privileges.

Yes it has administrator privilege.

In fact all other stuffs like Provisioning, Enabling AMT from "None" as the Manageability Protocol are working fine.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Yes it has administrator privilege.

In fact all other stuffs like Provisioning, Enabling AMT from "None" as the Manageability Protocol are working fine.

Hi, I did see the issue on one of our development systems with AMT 3.0. Newer systems seem to be working.
I have forwarded this on to our internal SCS team and they have asked for some additional info. Would you also please provide:
Your operating system
The Intel Management Engine Interface driver version (under System Devices in Device Manger)
thanks
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Hi, I did see the issue on one of our development systems with AMT 3.0. Newer systems seem to be working.
I have forwarded this on to our internal SCS team and they have asked for some additional info. Would you also please provide:
Your operating system
The Intel Management Engine Interface driver version (under System Devices in Device Manger)
thanks

The operating system of the client Windows XP.
Intel Management Engine Interface Driver Version : 3.0.30.1086 Date: 5/11/2007

Please let me know if you want any other information.
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Your operating system
thanks

Hi, Any update on this?
0 Kudos
Richard_B_Intel1
Employee

Hi, Any update on this?

I apologize, I was remiss in forwarding this additional info. The info has beensent to our Internal SCS team.
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar
Quoting - RB (Intel)

I apologize, I was remiss in forwarding this additional info. The info has beensent to our Internal SCS team.

A gentle reminder :).. Any update on this?
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Hello Sayantan,
The recommendation from our SCS team is to upgrade the firmware on that system to get the latest version of AMT. You can get the upgrade from HP onlinefor the system you specified.

I was going to suggest that initially, but wanted to see if there was any alternative. Please let us know how that works for youl
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Hello Sayantan,
The recommendation from our SCS team is to upgrade the firmware on that system to get the latest version of AMT. You can get the upgrade from HP onlinefor the system you specified.

I was going to suggest that initially, but wanted to see if there was any alternative. Please let us know how that works for youl

Thanks Lance. So I have to upgrade the the BIOS firmware to upgrade the AMT version to 5.0.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks Lance. So I have to upgrade the the BIOS firmware to upgrade the AMT version to 5.0.

Hi Sayantan,
You cannot upgradeyour systemwith AMT version 3.0.1 to 5.0. You can only upgrade to AMT versions that start with 3. AMT versions with newer major version numbers require new hardware.

You should be able to find the latest upgradebygoing to the HP site and searching in support/downloads for your specific system. Look in the BIOS section to find the latest FW upgrade for it. It will include a newer version of AMT (e.g. 3.2.10)
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

Hi Sayantan,
You cannot upgradeyour systemwith AMT version 3.0.1 to 5.0. You can only upgrade to AMT versions that start with 3. AMT versions with newer major version numbers require new hardware.

You should be able to find the latest upgradebygoing to the HP site and searching in support/downloads for your specific system. Look in the BIOS section to find the latest FW upgrade for it. It will include a newer version of AMT (e.g. 3.2.10)

I know I've gone to thisHP sitefor the HP dc7800p drivers and firmware before: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3459245〈=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3459241

After that, I picked the appropriate OS, then went into the BIOS section like Lance said.

Andy
0 Kudos