Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Changing the AMT Password via ACUConfig without RCS

Evan_B_
Beginner
Hi there, I'm encountering an error when trying to configure the AMT password from Windows using ACUConfig. I am not using RCS, and the only reason I want to change the password is for security reasons. Right now I have no other configurations I am trying to make. Here's the command I am running:
ACUConfig.exe ConfigAMT "profile.xml" /DecryptionPassword "Password"
The XML profile was created using the ACUWizard. From what I can tell in the User Guide I shouldn't be encountering any RCS errors, but I am. EDIT: Worth mentioning that it is currently unconfigured so the default password is set. When running as Administrator, I get this in the logs:
2015-10-22 16:06:09:(ERROR) : ACU Configurator , Category: ConfigAMT failed: A call to this function has failed - (0xc000278b) (Connection to the Remote Configuration Service is necessary, but the RCSParameters tag is missing in the profile. (RCSAddress))
2015-10-22 16:06:09:(ERROR) : ACU Configurator, Category: Exit: ***********Exit with code 68. Details: Invalid parameter was found. (RCSAddress)
The only other thread I found concerning this same problem is located here, but it was never answered.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Evan_B_
Beginner
No updates to give. Haven't been able to figure this out. I was still hoping to get some kind of answer. Does anyone know of a better spot I could post this question? :(
0 Kudos
Joel_N_1
Beginner
Are you sure the system you are testing on supports 'Host based configuration'? Are the LMS/UNS services installed and running? If you post the whole log there may be more clues there....
0 Kudos
Evan_B_
Beginner
Are you sure the system you are testing on supports 'Host based configuration'?
I believe so. Is there some way I can double-check this?
Are the LMS/UNS services installed and running?
Yes, it's installed and running. Here's the full log of an attempt: // 2015-11-20 11:11:39:(INFO) : ACU Configurator , Category: HandleOutPut: Starting log 2015-11-20 11:11:39 2015-11-20 11:11:39:(INFO) : ACU Configurator, Category: -Unknown Operation-: hostname.domain.com: Starting to configure AMT... 2015-11-20 11:11:52:(ERROR) : ACU Configurator , Category: ConfigAMT failed: A call to this function has failed - (0xc000278b) (Connection to the Remote Configuration Service is necessary, but the RCSParameters tag is missing in the profile. (RCSAddress)) 2015-11-20 11:11:52:(ERROR) : ACU Configurator, Category: Exit: ***********Exit with code 68. Details: Invalid parameter was found. (RCSAddress) // Only difference really are those first two lines.
0 Kudos
Joel_N_1
Beginner

Evan B. wrote:

Quote:

Are you sure the system you are testing on supports 'Host based configuration'?

I believe so. Is there some way I can double-check this?

Quote:

Are the LMS/UNS services installed and running?

Yes, it's installed and running.

Here's the full log of an attempt:

//

2015-11-20 11:11:39:(INFO) : ACU Configurator , Category: HandleOutPut: Starting log 2015-11-20 11:11:39

2015-11-20 11:11:39:(INFO) : ACU Configurator, Category: -Unknown Operation-: hostname.domain.com: Starting to configure AMT...

2015-11-20 11:11:52:(ERROR) : ACU Configurator , Category: ConfigAMT failed: A call to this function has failed - (0xc000278b) (Connection to the Remote Configuration Service is necessary, but the RCSParameters tag is missing in the profile. (RCSAddress))

2015-11-20 11:11:52:(ERROR) : ACU Configurator, Category: Exit: ***********Exit with code 68. Details: Invalid parameter was found. (RCSAddress)

//

Only difference really are those first two lines.

Try changing your command line to include the /Verbose switch - this will provide much more detail and might clue us in to what the issue is. What model is the system? What Intel chipset? You can map that kind of data to an AMT version which is the ultimate factor in deciding if host-based is supported. I believe it was added in AMT 7 or 8, but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

0 Kudos
Evan_B_
Beginner
Verbose did it for me...
2015-11-20 12:52:46: Thread:7928(INFO) : ACU Configurator , Category: Discovery Source: HostBasedSetup.cpp : HostBasedSetup::Discovery Line: 489: Host Based Setup is not supported (WS-MAN call Failed with gSoap error code: 24)
Doesn't seem like it's available on my PC. So I guess my new question: Is there a way to set these passwords across multiple systems without the use of host based configuration? To answer your other questions however: It's an HP Folio 9480m laptop with an Intel i5 processor. Says Vpro on the label.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Your system should have AMT 9.  Is the system already enable in either Client Control Mode or Admin Control Mode?  If not, could you make sure the MEI driver is installed?  Sometimes IT shops blow away the factory installed OS's and put their own OS's/configurations on systems.  Often when this happens the vPRO drivers get blown away and then they don't get re-installed with the IT-builds.

From the errors above it looks like you need an RCS and that it is trying to provision your system.  It wants the address for the RCS but isn't getting it.

Gael

0 Kudos