Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

First things first: A Step-by-step guide on how to reset all AMT features?

lcassell
Beginner

The information found in these blogs are going to be a tremendous help to me in the future. At the moment, however, my enterprise is not using the AMT management functions. I will be doing some analysis for my group.My immediate need is a simple step-by-step procedure on how to disable all AMT features including BIOS and drivers to prevent an incomplete setup from causing issues. First things first, how do I completely disable this feature? Then, time allowing, I can learn how to properly setup and provision this feature.

I have three new desktops, with various errors in Windows pop-ups,and in theapplication event logs. (one example is : [UNS] Failed to subscribe to local Intel AMT., another error said AMT prvented system from booting)

I shouldn't have tinkered with these until I fully understood the provisining procedure, but I did.

The three systems are Dell Optiplex 755 with E6850 processors Core 2 Duo @ 3.00GHz. I have the Ctrl-P option to access the MEBx BIOS. I see no AMT related services running, and no errors in the device manager.

There are three Intel drivers available for my systems:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R162291.exe Intel Chipset S/W Install Utility
http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R162295.EXE Intel AMT HECI
http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R162296.EXE Intel AMT SOL/ LMS

What do I do to get these features back to the default turned off state?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

After looking at the errors that you have mentioned, it looks like your system doesn't have the proper Bios/drivers installed. Please visit the Dell site to check this. We had a similar forum question here. The Start Here Guide is a good document that describes various steps in properly configuring your AMT system.

That being said, you can always disable AMT from the Bios. For doing this, reboot the system and hit CTRL+P when it reboots - this will take you toME Bios settings, where you can disable AMT.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
tsp907
Beginner
Are you saying that for those of use with a fleet of 20 to 200 GX755s the only way to disable MEBx "features" is to touch every system?
...There is no utility command line or other that one could use to configure MEBx off??? OMG!
Since by default it is "on" on all 755s this "feature" causes a lot of extra time building systems.

-Tim

Quoting - Sreelekshmy Syamalakumari (Intel)

Hi,

After looking at the errors that you have mentioned, it looks like your system doesn't have the proper Bios/drivers installed. Please visit the Dell site to check this. We had a similar forum question here. The Start Here Guide is a good document that describes various steps in properly configuring your AMT system.

That being said, you can always disable AMT from the Bios. For doing this, reboot the system and hit CTRL+P when it reboots - this will take you toME Bios settings, where you can disable AMT.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Trevor_Sullivan
Beginner
If someone was able to disable the Intel AMT firmware via Windows, rather than the MEBx, that would present a security and manageability risk to the business using Intel AMT. You wouldn't want any user, or a virus, to run rampant and disable the AMT functionality. That would cause you even more work, having to re-enable the AMT firmware manually, and reimage all your devices.

Trevor Sullivan
Systems Engineer
OfficeMax Corporation
0 Kudos
Shmuel_G_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tsp907
Are you saying that for those of use with a fleet of 20 to 200 GX755s the only way to disable MEBx "features" is to touch every system? ...There is no utility command line or other that one could use to configure MEBx off??? OMG! Since by default it is "on" on all 755s this "feature" causes a lot of extra time building systems.

Tim, hi.
Actually you may be able to re-set all, if you do it by parts.

Some of the AMT configurations can be reset remotely by doing a Partial Unprovision, and most AMT configurations can be disabled remotely by doing a Full Unprovision -- you should be able to find info on these functions in the ISN Manageability blogs/forums.

Additionally, when you disable Intel AMT from the BIOS, all AMT configurations are lost. So, if you can configure your BIOS remotely, you can reset AMT.

Regarding the drivers, you can install them the way you install any other driver remotely -- all of them should have silent (aka unattended) installs too. You can run "setup.exe /?" to see what is the argument for doing a silent install.
0 Kudos