Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Getting MAC-Adress

helmutr
Beginner
Hi,
I'm totally new to this community that's why I think my question is very easy for most of you: I'm sitting on a client which has AMT techonlogy on board. I just need to know the AMT MAC-Adress of this client, like calling ipconfig ... for LAN-MAC or WLAN-MAC. I know the AMT MAC-Adress is most of the time close to the LAN-MAC-Adress but the doesn't help for sure.
I read in another post (Getting the MAC-IDs of system when the system is power off) that you can get it with
NetworkAdministration.exe -A -verbose -user admin -pass PASSWORD http://hostname:16992/NetworkAdministrationService
(NetworkAdministration.exe from Samples of SDK)
Is this also necessary if you sit on the client and the system is power on or is there an easier way?

Thanks for your support in advance
Helmut

P.S. Is this kind of information also saved in WMI? Sorry, at the moment I don't have a machine with AMT available.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

So, you want to get the MAC address from the client itself?

The NetworkAdministrationService API is a remote api so it can be called only from a Management system. But there are some APIs included in the Intel AMT SDK that can be called locally. The SDK documentation will give you more details on this

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
DAN_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

If you really need the AMT device MAC address (it would be interresting to know why?) you can use the MEInfo tool on the AMT local machine.

Take a look at this thread on Host API function.Running this tool without any parameter will give exactly what you are asking for.

However if your AMT device is configured to work in DHCP mode you can be sure that its MAC address is exactly the same as the host LAN one, then ipconfig reports the correct one.

Dan

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

I was also referring to the Host API functions when i talked about the local APIs; but now i figured from the Host Interface Guide included in the AMT SDK documentation that these APIs won't give you the MAC address of the AMT system. So, at this time I don't know of any way to get the AMT MAC Address locally.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Also note (from Dan's Response) that the MEInfo tool comes with the utilities for upgrading the firmware - if you use this tool, just make sure you are using the right version for your firmware.
0 Kudos
helmutr
Beginner
Hi,
thank you all for your help!
I'm supporting a company that is doing the repair of defect motherboards of notebooks. After the repair of the board they have to reprint labels for the LAN-MAC, WLAN-MAC and now also AMT-MAC and ship them with the board. After assembling a notebook with this repaired board, the stickers have to be put on the backside of this notebook.
Hopefully tomorrow I will get a notebook with AMT from them to test your advices.
I will keep you informed.

Many thanks and best regards
Helmut
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Are you flashing your system as a part of set up process? If so, the tool used for that will show the MAC address.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
helmutr
Beginner
Hi Sree,
I'm back. After a while now I got a machine with AMT ... What kind of tool can I use to flash the AMT system? I think I don't have any other possibilities to get that.
Imagine: The company gets boards for repair. They want to know the AMT MAC-Address but no one has the AMT Password, it was set by the owner of the machine (or of an system administrator) But get this information you need the password. I tested meinfo. This is working but only on a DOS-System (is that true?)
I'm sorry if I'm totally wrong with my thoughts but in "normal life" I'm a database architect and BI consultant. That what I'm doing here is totally new to me. Sad smiley [:(]

Thanks
Helmut
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi - while Sree is checking on the MAC Address question -- I think there are a few more things to consider for your situation. You might want to take a look through the Start Here Guide - this is a very high level document aimed at getting a newbee started on Intel AMT.

1. You do not know the password:You can pull the CMOS battery to clear out the current AMT settings (this will put AMT back into Factory Mode.) Look at this forum question for instructions. Once you have done this and you enter intothe MEBx extensions you will have to change the Password to a strong password. See this blog on ME Password requirements.
  2. Upgrading the firmwareis another potential issue. Who made the board? Which OEM? I will assume the AMT systems did not come with documentation or CDs with the firmware. You can check out the Intel BoardSupport website and look at the various release notes and readme files pertaining to updating the firmware (instructions are out there too.)

Follow the "BIOS" link for latest BIOS/Firmware/Drivers.
  3. Also, what version of AMT is applicable for your specific Board - this will determine what version of Firmware you can upgrade to.A simple CMOS clear should allowyou to at least access the AMT/ME configuration andyou can find out from there what is the current version of AMT that is running.

You will need to figure out what is the highest version of AMT your board will support. For example if the board you are working with is at AMT 1.0 - you may not be able to upgrade to AMT 3.0 - you should be able to get this information from either the OEM's site (which should have the latest firmware supported by the board) or the Intel board site (if your board happens to be an Intel Board.)
  4. Once you do end up upgrading the firmware, the tools you will use should have an option to get the MAC Address - other than this method I know of no other way to get it (hence Sree is checking on this.)

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

The MAC address question - MEInfo should give you the MAC address of the AMT device. The catch here is you have to use the right version of MEInfo corresponding to your FW version. MEInfo exists in both Windows and DOS versions.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
helmutr
Beginner
Hi,
thanks again, escpecially to Gael and Sree!
Now I got it work! I have now 2 possibilities:
1. Getting MAC-Adress via remote connection (I took Intel AMT Commander as a template and analyzed the interface and network parts)
2. Getting MAC-Adress via MEInfo on local client.
Now my customer can decide which solution he likes more.

Sree and Gael before wrote that there are different versions of MEInfo for the different FW-Versions. I found one for 2.5. But sorry, I didn't find the other FW-Updates to get the utility for the other FW-Versions. Where does Intel provided them or should I ask the OEM to get it.

Thanks
Helmut

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Helmut,

As far as I know, MEInfo comes as part of the package for building your own firmware. Asgiving this tool out to the masses would create a nightmare for us (it is very easy to createfirmware badly andend up with a doorstop!) However, OEMs would have this package since they have to build their own custom versionsof thefirmware for their systems.

Correct me if I am wrong (anyone?)

0 Kudos
helmutr
Beginner
Hi Gael,

thanks for the information. I will contact the OEMs and ask them to get the packages.

Just want to say thanks a lot for this great support in this forum! I found a lot of interesting things regarding Intel AMT while searching for solutions.

Best Regards
Helmut
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
Just a quick note on getting MAC addresses. Remotely, you can get the MAC address of the managed interfaces starting with AMT 2.5 I think. Intel AMT 2.0 does not support that feature and so, Commander will not read it. Reading the MAC is in the NetworkAdmin interface "GetInterfaceSettings" call. The DTK stack trys to make the API the same for all versions of Intel AMT, but if you make SOAP calls, make so to check the version first.

As for getting the MAC address locally, I looked at OpenAMT.org, they have the source to most of what you would need to get the MAC address from the HECI driver in Linux. Sadly, that specific HECI command does not seem to be in the sources. So, that's no help. There are other HECI commands you can use locally over on that web site.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)
0 Kudos
SVoln
Beginner

"However if your AMT device is configured to work in DHCP mode you can be sure that its MAC address is exactly the same as the host LAN one, then ipconfig reports the correct one."

that is not my case - the amt is retaining the ip it got from dhcp but the host is renewing it. It is like amt is ignorig dhcp although it is configured to use it. so the amt and host have 2 ip address !

is there any kind of service in windows that manages this cloning and possibly is shutdown ?

thanks

0 Kudos