Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Graceful shutdown

MPala11
New Contributor II
Hi,
When I issue power cycle or reset from http://ipaddress:16992to the AMT machine, system switched off immediatly and OS was not shutdown properly, I'm getting error messages on boot screen. Is there any command available for graceful shutdown

Thanks,
Mani
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Hi Mani,

No, there isn't a way to use AMT directly to cleanly shutdown a system. This has been a shortcoming in AMT for many years now, and Intel has been slow to accept the problem or to try and implement a fix for it. If you want the system to gracefully shutdown from AMT control, your best bet would be to roll your own solution. You could write an app that monitors the 3PDS area and looks for a command stored there by a remote control app. The app could then initiate a clean shutdown given the command in the 3PDS location. This would be outside of the normal Windows authentication path, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting WMI or some other remoting solution to work under windows.

Regards,
Roger
0 Kudos
Richard_B_Intel1
Employee
Hi Mani-

As you've learned and Roger explained, the current Power Off supplied by Inte AMT is not a graceful shutdown (but it is still useful if your system is already in a hung state and can only be reached out of band). It is best to have an agent initiate the shutdwon process;you could use the method Roger descibed to indicate to the agent it should shutdown or you could use some other inband method to tell your agent to initiate shutdown.

-RB
0 Kudos