Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Intel AMT: Access iKVM with discrete GPU installed and onboard video enabled and connected

Chris_B_
Beginner

Hi

I've got a question regarding iKVM with a discrete GPU.  I've read the Intel Top 10 Questions for AMT/vPro that indicate that iKVM will not work when a discrete GPU is installed in the machine.  I want to take this further and ask for clarity on this point.

I'm needing remote access via iKVM through either AMT or IPMI for a machine that will not be easily accessible.  The PCs purpose is to use stremaing technology to stream desktops and software to other clients. The machine itself will have a discrete GPU isntalled (nVidia GTX 1070) with a dongle that emulates a connected display attached to the HDMI port.  This setup works well presently in another machine.

I would like to clarify if attaching a display emulator (doesn't matter the form of connection as that can be bought to match the motherboard) to the AMT display outputs and keeping the onboard display enabled, I could mirror my desktop across both 'displays' and ergo iKVM would work fine as the machine would know that both display outputs are being used.

Essentially would iKVM still work with both onboard and discrete gpus enabled and in use, or does AMT detect a discrete GPU and disable the iKVM functionality completely?  The Top 10 questions doesn't go in to this level of detail and I can't find out exactly the answer.

Appreciate any guidance or thoughts you might have.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Joseph_O_Intel1
Employee

Hey Chris

iKVM is by default shut down by BIOS interaction when a discrete graphics card is installed. This interaction is a BIOS interaction that the OEM controls, I have seen on the rare occasion where the behavior can be changed from within the BIOS. As to if any specific device has this specific BIOS setting, I cannot tell you. So you will need to take a look. 

As to using an emulator, that's usually only needed in a headless system and is used to fake the system to think a monitor is attached. Thus leaving the GPU running even when headless. In your situation you may need to do exactly that.

Joe

0 Kudos
Chris_B_
Beginner

Hey Joseph,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, very much appreciated.  So the default position is that the management engine will shut down kvm access if it detects an additional gpu, so really I need to be looking for motherboards with bios options that allow kvm with discrete cards to continue running, should be an interesting search!  Does the AMT system allow for OEMs and manufacturers to override this default position?

Yes, an emulator was the plan, I've already got one for the GTX 1070 which allows me to stream and do other things with the GPU.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Joseph_O_Intel1
Employee

Hey Chris,

In theory the BIOS can change the default behavior.

Joe

0 Kudos